Favorite Aircraft

bailout3

What are your favorite 2 aircraft to fly in FSX and why? Mine are Carenado TBM850 great performer with pressurized cruising  up to FL250 and yet can slow down for circuit traffic and land on 2500 ft. rwys.( with reversers used) Lots of eye candy including glass gauges with airport information . Second is again Carenado C208 EX grand caravan for very short runway operations (especially fun in Orbx NZ, PNG, and all the mountain areas in NA region. I would like to have an A319, 320 or B737 but not an intense version but something better then Virtualacol. Frame rates are important to my syatem.

How about you?

Cherokee & the DC-9. Cherokee because it's faster than the Cub and not a 172. DC-9 because there is immense satisfaction in getting from Point A to Point B in bad weather without FMC/VNAV/LNAV doing most of the thinking for me (not to say that I'm not happy for that to happen from time to time though...)

Disclaimer: Subject to change without notice, depending on whim or weather.

Mike

Both most used birds are from Lionheart: the Robin DR400/180 (because I fly it IRL) for low 'n' slow and the Learjet 24B for the long trips.

Honorable mention to A2A's Cub and C172 for being the most realistic planes I have.

I really like Ant's T-28 Trojans.  They have good performance, great visibility, and a broad speed range.

Currently my second most used plane is Aerosoft's OV-10 for the same reasons.

I know I already named two, but I also enjoy Aerosoft's Twin Otter and Carenado's C185F for dedicated bush flying and the VRS F/A-18 and MILVIZ F-86 when I want to fly fast :)

Its a tough call lol, I don't think I could pick just two....depends on what kind of flying I am doing.    For GA singles, probably A2A Cherokee, CH BF-108, RA Legacy, F1 182, BTS RV-7, and A2A Civil P-51, tho this upcomming A2A Skylane might be a real winner.  For Bush Flying, A2A Cub, RA Scout and SW AN-2.  For gliders, AS Discus  For twins, RA Duke and T Duke,  For warbirds, A2A P-40, Spitfire and CH FW-190.  For bizjet, F1 Mustang.  For the big iron, gotta go with the PMDG 777 and MD-11.

Thankfully there are no limitations in FS lol.  

Cheers

TJ

so far the carenado phenom 100 and the aerosoft a318/319, considering the a2a Cherokee looks like alot of fun from videos.i like the phenom because it has great graphics and can travel long distances,the airbus of course is my fav heavy because its the only one that works in p3d and has a weather radar.

Still too much of a newbie to have a real long term favorite.  But currently the Alabeo Piper Sport is a great low and not too slow VFR aeroplane with great visibility (what is the point of buying Orbx scenery if you can't see it?) and the Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 which was tweaked to permit F1GTN integration (the way the seats and instruments are set up, I rarely need to popup the GTN750 and can just use it in the panel).  The upcoming A2A c182 is, of course, interesting, but I'm still struggling with 'realistic' FMs where flying is a constant battle to not roll over to the left and crash.

As I do essentially VFR, my favourite ones are Robin DR400-140 and Pilatus PC6 Porter. STOL ability is nice to do some short landing on the wild during long trip. I enjoy a lot amphibian too such as the Goose or the Cat A

For me it's the A2A B17 far and above all others. Currently doing a round the world tour in it and loving every moment. After that it would be the A2A cub I think - to really get to explore the fantastic sceneries I have collected over the years.

I've never been one for the big iron like PMDG stuff so, the A2A B-17 is the only "heavy" for me, rarely use the autopilot, you can easily hand fly it the whole way and just wait and feel for what it's doing and it takes little effort to pull her back into line. A real joy to fly, systems, flight dynamics, looks! What an aircraft!

The only other thing that really gets a lot of air time is the Iris PC-9/A. It feels like a sports car with a low ride height and rock solid springs. Feels tight, on rails, one of the few add ons that really makes you feel like you OWN the skies.

Great for complete disregard to the rules and also great for smartening up the skills and practicing nav's, having a flight plan prepared with frequencies and charts at the ready. Can be a very rewarding aircraft to fly properly but can also bite you in the arse if you let it get away from you, easy to do if you start to go all cowboy with it......... which is also easy to do, but that's the fun part!

I'm still struggling with 'realistic' FMs where flying is a constant battle to not roll over to the left and crash.

Realistic FMs don't roll back a properly trimmed and balanced aircraft to the left, a wrong joystick/yoke calibration does :).

A2A Cherokee!

VFR-flying at its best, but also "old fashioned IFR" without FMC/GPS. 

If you don't use the GPS on the 180 you miss some interesting RNAV approaches !

Anyway, if I look back to what I've been flying the recent months, the A2A Cherokee comes first.  I almost regretted my purchase at first, feeling her a little lame, but she grew on me to the point she has almost been my only flying machine. The SW An-2 comes a distant second  (only two fav, right ?)

Right now, I'm testing two new purchases the AS Twin Otter Ext. and the MV 737-200. We'll see...

So many great aircraft, including the Aerosoft Airbus and Twin Otter, the Iris Vulcan and T6, Dino's Goshawk....

But the best for me has to be the A2A Cherokee... I never thought I'd get hooked on low and slow GA until I got hold of this amazing aircraft, the realism is breath-taking! Also looking forward to the more powerful up-coming A2A Cessna 182T which promises the same accuracy and features that seems to set A2A apart from other aircraft manufacturers...

I also enjoy the Carenado Cessna 208 EX HD, but on a large screen it can be a little too sparkly and frame-hungry, so I sometimes revert to the default 208 just to make it easier to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Dominique,

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Milviz 737 - there was another thread on here about it a while back, and I've been humming and ha'ing ever since. I use P3D and sort of miss a nice airliner, even though I don't fly them that often - more into GA, but I like a tube flight every now and again.

Cheers

Jack

I go through phases and have never had one or two planes that I have consistently flown for years on end. Most flying hours recently have gone to the Milviz B-55 Baron with the A2A C172 and Cherokee duking it out for second.

In the past I have flown numerous airliners, but the only two that I have currently even installed are the Q400 and Milviz 737-200. Since I recently acquired P3D V2, I've been exploring mainly with GA and the occasional warbird (real hot rods!).

Dominique,

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Milviz 737 - there was another thread on here about it a while back, and I've been humming and ha'ing ever since. I use P3D and sort of miss a nice airliner, even though I don't fly them that often - more into GA, but I like a tube flight every now and again.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack

I'm not much of an expert :) in the airtliner Dpt, the last one I flew was David Maltby's BAC 1-11 in FS9 !  I wanted something close (not too much flight automatization) and in PD3 you don't have the choice of jetliners anyway MV 737 or AS Airbus.. I'll let you know once familiar with the 737 but that may take some time :lol: !

Realistic FMs don't roll back a properly trimmed and balanced aircraft to the left, a wrong joystick/yoke calibration does :).

Understand, but I've been proudly told by the guys at A2A that yawing off to the left is 'realistic' (even on those random occasions when the yaw is to the right) and that their aircraft don't run on rails.  One guy sneered that if I can't drive a car with my hands off the wheel, what makes me think an aircraft should fly straight with hands off the wheel.  However, after getting every thing straight and level, taking my hands of the wheel and ceasing constant jerks to the right to keep the wings level results in an accelerating roll to the left and a dive to the ground.  I've been told by Scott and/or Lewis of A2A that any problems I am having are purely my failures as a pilot, not their masterful FM. (Yes, I'm being a bit snarky, out of disappointment.)  Having a passenger the same weight as the pilot helps a lot and I have repeated checked the joystick/yoke calibration and their aircraft are still a pain to fly.  The Cherokee lacks rudder trim, so that route seems closed. Only solution I've come up with is to fight my way into the air and fly by autopilot, landing is out of the question.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With the essential rudder pedals to make small corrections and a joystck/yoke calibrated and stable (I mean no drift due to a worn out pot) you should be able to hand fly without having the stick to the right. Changes in power (including from a non calibrated or unstable throttle) or the environment (wind etc.) will demand frequent corrections though. And the 180 actually has a rudder trim...

Flying hands off without the autopilot on, doesn't seem a good idea in any case.

A2A C172 and RealAir Scout. It's a tossup between them which I fly more. I also fly the Aerosoft Discus glider to keep up on my soaring skills. I don't fly any larger aircraft though. I'm a low-and-slow or low-and-fast guy. The Carenado C337 is the largest aircraft I fly on a regular basis.

Hi Jack

I'm not much of an expert :) in the airtliner Dpt, the last one I flew was David Maltby's BAC 1-11 in FS9 !  I wanted something close (not too much flight automatization) and in PD3 you don't have the choice of jetliners anyway MV 737 or AS Airbus.. I'll let you know once familiar with the 737 but that may take some time :lol: !

Thanks Dominique - take your time! I'm away on a couple of business trips anyway over the next month or so and will not have much simming time.

Cheers

Jack

Archived