WOW -This Really *DOES* Change Everything...

After reading Avsim's highly in depth review of the new Flight1 Garmin GTN 650/750, I went ahead and purchased it tonight for FSX. It's absolutely awesome and as user friendly as your average tablet. Just a quick screenshot below, click for a larger version. Unlike the *very* greedy RXP folks, Flight1 allows you to run 2 instances of the GTN 750 at once while flying, I normally run two on one separate monitor, 1 for radio's and mapping the other for approach plates. It's absolutely outstanding, and like the Avsim review says, it does indeed change everything in flightsim GPS navigation. Here's the Avsim review for those interested. Time for me to go read the very extensive manual.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this product has absolutely *ZERO* impact on frame-rates or performance in FSX when using it around the most detailed OrbX scenery.

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/review-gtn-650-750-avionics-r2357

lfmt.jpg

Spirit this is the FSX version and it won't work into P3D you have to buy the special P3D version.

Also one thing to mention is the fact that you have only the terrain maps from North and South America, so flying outside this area is possible but without a terrain map picture the terrain will be replaced by a moire pattern, for a detailed terrain map from the entire world you have to buy the full version GTN Trainer from Garmin.

This is probably not the place to discuss this here so I won't go further into the details.

Cheers,

Ruud 

Unfortunately Flight 1 is following the same marketing scheme as basically every other developer producing advanced systems when it comes to selling one version for FSX and another for P3D. I don't even want to think about how much PMDG are going to charge people for their products when they are released, thankfully I'm not a big fan of jets. The DVD for the full trainer is only 25$ from Garmin and you can use it for both P3D and FSX.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod95993.html

Hi guys,

The DVD for the full trainer is only 25$ from Garmin and you can use it for both P3D and FSX.

The price is right if you are a resident of the USA but the fact is that Garmin USA is not shipping outside the USA and for people living outside the USA they have to order it true a local Garmin dealer, in my case, I live in the Netherlands they have to order it from the UK which in my case has doubled the price from the DVD because of the shipping and taxes just a heads up.

Cheers,

Ruud 

Hi guys,

The price is right if you are a resident of the USA but the fact is that Garmin USA is not shipping outside the USA and for people living outside the USA they have to order it true a local Garmin dealer, in my case, I live in the Netherlands they have to order it from the UK which in my case has doubled the price from the DVD because of the shipping and taxes just a heads up.

Cheers,

Ruud 

Wow, that's just plain dumb from a marketing standpoint. Garmin should be jumping at the opportunity to make this a digital download to anyone anywhere in the world as they are about to be *swamped* with DVD orders from owners of this GPS unit. I guess I'm kind of lucky as my local airport, Collingwood Regional (CNY3) has a Garmin certified pilot shop that had the DVD on sale... I can see this problem more than likely being taken care of because there's also many many gentlemen like yourself in Europe who need this DVD, some are having American online friends purchase and gift ship it to them over the pond...

Can you link the iPad version to fsx? If so, I would be really interested.

Could you provide a link for the demo?

For the free iPad version, go to the App Store and search for Garmin GTN Trainer

• 2 months later...

Real Air has stated they are including a configuration to accommodate adding this in their Turbine Duke v2 release and as an update in their Lincair Legacy.

A2A might for their Piper Cherokee (Cessna 172?).

If anyone else has heard anything about other aircraft, I've be very interested to know.

Correction: Scott over at A2A stated they were looking at this for their next (mystery) aircraft with no statement about any accommodation for previous aircraft.

Thanks for this Jocko.

I have flown aircraft with the 650 and 750. A very good friend of my started flying a King Air F90 just a little less than a year ago, and I had the pleasure of working with her on the 750 orientation. This equipment is beautiful to work with and becomes user friendly in no time. She was proficient is less than 3 flights with this system.

When, better yet, IF this equipment is supported with a world-wide subscription, I will pick it up. Flying OpenLC Europe as much as possible, this system would make flying there so much better.

Great shot of the add-on.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived