Welcome to WA79 Walter Sutton’s Ranch Re-Booted. Originally designed as a breakout project, Walter Sutton’s Ranch introduced full grass airfields to the flight simulation world. Oozing with charm, Walter Sutton is a cozy grass field bordered by fields and pastures where livestock doze in the sun while ranchers tend their crops.

In keeping with ORBX policy of upgrading early releases for P3D2.2, WA79 has been completely re-modeled with state-of-the-art ORBX vegetation, PeopleFlow and CreatureFlow.

Originally designed by John Venema and Tim Harris, this quiet little strip was a major leap forward for flight simulation. When JV requested that I add my own personal touch to the upgrade, I was honored to accept his offer.

I've retained the basic design elements, but completely re-landscaped the entire farm, adding my own vegetation. For the build I even created a new set of row crops for the “Ranchâ€, featuring tall rows of barley, one of Washington States major crops.

In addition to the vegetation, expect to see many new “Flow†elements including animals, people, farm trucks and equipment.

Walter Sutton’s Ranch explodes to life in P3D2.2 with vibrant color, real world shadowing and generous layer of ultra-lifelike grasses, brush and trees.

Have a look below at WA79 Walter Sutton’s Ranch Rebooted.

WA79_preview_29_zps5ab768bf.jpg

WA79_preview_32_zpse1143ca2.jpg

WA79_preview_31_zpsb9f06a94.jpg

WA79_preview_30_zpse5fbdfe7.jpg

WA79_preview_28_zps0298a27a.jpg

WA79_preview_1_zps522ff706.jpg

WA79_preview_5_zps6afda3f7.jpg

WA79_preview_27_zpsed487b7c.jpg

WA79_preview_22_zps07212350.jpg

WA79_preview_23_zpsf61e80f9.jpg

WA79_preview_25_zps74c57208.jpg

WA79_preview_20_zps82dcf660.jpg

WA79_preview_21_zps815803f4.jpg

WA79_preview_13_zpsa9ccc762.jpg

WA79_preview_17_zpsf72ecb2f.jpg

WA79_preview_15_zps9c027634.jpg

WA79_preview_7_zps8165b913.jpg

WA79_preview_12_zps2aed901e.jpg

WA79_preview_14_zpsad7e3705.jpg

WA79_preview_11_zps30f86526.jpg

WA79_preview_9_zps009c805e.jpg

WA79_preview_8_zps2c9ab948.jpg

WA79_preview_6_zpsdb0e6719.jpg

WA79_preview_33_zps07e1e268.jpg

Very nice!

If this is free for the "existing owners" (and that includes the owners who just buy it in the years-end-sale) then it is a steal!

But that is what I plan to do one some of the "traditional" airports :ph34r:

This airstrip is one of my favourites and glad to see not only does it get the triple installer treatment, but a COMPLETE overhaul with it too!

And the fact that its free to existing owners is incredible!

I for one would be happy to make a donation/contribution for these airfields that are getting the special treatment as I can imagine just how much work must go into these :)

Glad to see these will be converted! I mostly had to skip this added realism in FSX due to frame rate issues, but in P3D I've got enough headroom in most areas so that I'm probably starting to get these airfields for my regions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The RTM version of Walter Sutton is ready for the team to evaluate. I've made some major changes to the vegetation libraries and increased performance by 66 to 70 percent while improving image quality and overall efficiency. In addition I've developed a line of volumetric grasses and crop rows that brings an entire new level of reality to the simulation. These volumetric grasses are seasonal and change color and height with seasonal changes.

The beauty of volumetric grass is the ability to cover very large areas with very low poly/draw count coverage. I'll be improving and expanding these librarys in future projects.

To bring Walter Sutton's Farm into a fine focus, I've created a library of ObjectFlow crops that grow as the seasons progress. Crop flow will be functional in FSX and P3Dv2. This is a fun new feature that I thought would be a nice addition to the lineup.

We're looking to get the RTM to the team this weekend...and out to you next week.

Thought you all would like a quick look.

Enjoy...

Spring crop rows

WA79_preview_27_zps54ad13b8.jpg

Early Summer crop rows are taller and a bit darker in color

WA79_preview_28_zpsbae57a11.jpg

Mid Summer crop rows have been begun to mature

WA79_preview_29_zpsb32a36ce.jpg

Fall Harvest crop rows are mature and ready for the combine.

WA79_preview_30_zps0a77050e.jpg

Short runway grass in Springtime. Taxiing across the grass is extremely realistic.

WA79_preview_31_zps9e9040d4.jpg

Short and medium parking grass at Fall. The taller apron grasses are finer in appearance and line the more "groomed" runway.

WA79_preview_32_zpsc46c0e7a.jpg

This is beautiful Gordon - that little valley is one of the most magical places in Orbx-world...  having just converted lock-stock-and-barrel to P3D this week with no turning back, I am really looking forward to this one.

Thank you!!! :smile:

Thank you , very much Gordon that will make for some great spray run`s in my Ag Aircraft, 

Looking forward to next week to doing some Spraying run`s of your crop. 

Once again thank you. 

Regards Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is just one way in which Orbx keeps me coming back. Amazing products which constantly redefine the limits of what is possible, and incredible "above and beyond" customer service! I too would consider it more than fair to pay something for this update, but I'm certainly not complaining that you've chosen to keep it free! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for updating this great piece of scenery. I've been waiting for it to be upgraded to P3D 2 'standards' before I purchased it and it really is quite breathtaking in P3D 2. The real time shadows and new vegetation really bring the area to life in DirectX 11. The various wildlife is really quite pleasing to look at as your preparing for takeoff or making your final and I was quite surprised to see cattle moving about in a pack as I took off from the default runway heading -great work to all involved. :)

I'm greatly looking forward to more North American scenery titles being updated with P3D 2 installers.

Archived