"Big Bird" Cup: The Antonov 225 and Shuttle in Sumburgh

Orbxtreme

Well, here it is, something that started as a joke until I decided to try it for real. I was surprised at the slow speed allowed for approach as well as the unbelievable braking power of that machine. What was done: fuel at 50% and headwinds of 30 kts on the axis. Those winds help for the final but are a noisance when banking as the aircraft is pushed sideways. Another point: normally, with a big one, we think ahead because of the inertia. With this one, we think ahead of ahead, if it's possible. I started turning when I felt it was not needed in order to align with the runway. First time I tried, I missed because I used logic thinking. This time, I just turned ahead of time, guessing what could work and it worked. I know, it's not real life, but it's a real life approach. ;D

SOV5h.jpg

UY3V5.jpg

n7XK0.jpg

wvOM.jpg

3shlm.jpg

bsWd.jpg

About 125 kts at touch down.

nHYD.jpg

All brakes, spoilers and reverse out. It stops real quick.

KXMcH.jpg

Now time to find a parking lot. You can feel that Sumburgh is made for the Antonov 225. It's a natural...

YcRVX.jpg

Q9DEo.jpg

W9Qub.jpg

Here we go. Glad to see I'm in nobody's way...

g6RbL.jpg

So, it's not on video, but it's lots of fun and ... pressure! Cheers! ;D

François

I think we may have a Sumburgh "Big Bird" winner ;) awesome landing and two birds for the price of one...

I wonder if any other heavy heavy metal can make it into this unique airport...

I guess a 747 not fully loaded can make it too (I don't know the specs but I'm quite sure it is OK). If someone has the Area 51 Galaxy maybe show up and give try it out! That's the fun part with virtual world, no company is going to have to explain to the insurance that the pilot were just having fun when the accident occured... ;D

• 2 years later...

Archived