Blah Blah Blah

Bassman

See how this topic title provides no information as to the content.  Quite a number of posts requesting help give little or no information in the title as to the content of the post.  i.e. "help I am a newbie"  or  "Getting frustrated" .  This makes it difficult to search the site later on for solutions if others are having similar problems. Titles such as "OOM problem" or the like are better than "Getting frustrated". Might save a lot of time and duplicate queries if one could search more effectively. Anyway, that's the sermon for the day, Rev. Dan.

See how this topic title provides no information as to the content.  Quite a number of posts requesting help give little or no information in the title as to the content of the post.  i.e. "help I am a newbie"  or  "Getting frustrated" .  This makes it difficult to search the site later on for solutions if others are having similar problems. Titles such as "OOM problem" or the like are better than "Getting frustrated". Might save a lot of time and duplicate queries if one could search more effectively. Anyway, that's the sermon for the day, Rev. Dan.

Amen!

SInce I am in a complaning mode now  8) I like to add another frustration:

Can we please introduce a limit to the size of the signatures? Some people like to fill my whole screen with just their signature, listing all their possessions including live-stock and wife!  >:D

Isn't it interesting how you violate your own point and request in your particular practice in this instance? Why not a topic title like "please use more specific topic titles". I suspect you transgressed for the same reasons others do: to get attention.

The "point" of his title was  to 'point' out that neferious titles do not 'point out' any kind of problems.  I have posted the same sentiment more than once on this and other sites.  Unfortunately the dunder heads that do use these useless post titles never bother to read anything but their own stuff to see if the 'problem' has a solution.

IE: signature space, I finally gave up harping on that point and just turned everybody's sig. OFF.  Makes viewing the forum about 45% faster and saves mouse finger blisters from rolling the scroll wheel 8,345 times per page!

Can we please introduce a limit to the size of the signatures? Some people like to fill my whole screen with just their signature, listing all their possessions including live-stock and wife!  >:D

All signatures are turned off on my screen - did it when orbx upgraded the site yonks ago - can't remember how to get them back.

ooops - is this a hijack? -guess not - the topic is " blah blah blah " so anything goes  - good attention getter, rotten for search.

IE: signature space, I finally gave up harping on that point and just turned everybody's sig. OFF.  Makes viewing the forum about 45% faster and saves mouse finger blisters from rolling the scroll wheel 8,345 times per page!

Limiting the signature size is a simple forum setting for the Administrator(s) to make, so no need to educate people (contrary to the OP subject).

You can limit (eliminate) them from your profile/preferences.

Yes to more specific Thread Titles.  If your thread title suddenly gets [More Specific information] appended to it, then you can take it as a hint.  It is one of my pet peaves, and it makes it VERY hard to help you.

Useful things to include:  Actual problem, ICAO or location, and product.

With regard to signatures, there is a little X just under the 'Like this' to the right of each posts signature panel.  If a particular signature is unwieldy, you can instruct the forum not to display it .. user by user.

Click on X and that signature will cease to bother you.

With regard to signatures, there is a little X just under the 'Like this' to the right of each posts signature panel.  If a particular signature is unwieldy, you can instruct the forum not to display it .. user by user.

In addition to what Ian said, you have to drag the cursor over the post of the member, whose sig you like to remove in order to see the "X".  Otherwise it will be invisible.

Hi ian,

Thanks for the hint, but I already use that to get rid of the very large sigs.

The disadvantage however (apart from having to do it per person, and there is no easy undo) is that a lot of people use a screen name that is not their real name, and put their real name in their signature. 

Archived