FTX AUS4.003 problem

Tonyla1

Hi Guys

I have just downloaded and installed the patch, now the sim wont start. It just hangs there for a minute trying to open, then crashes. I was happily flying YBTH last night with no problems. All this has happened immediately after downloading the patch.

I reinstalled the new library again just to be sure, I tried swapping between regions and global in FTX central but nothing will let the sim start. There are no error messages, just the crash. My system did do some windows updates earlier in the night, but this is a regular occurrence and has never caused problems before 

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Tony

The same happens here.

FSX crashes.

At the few times (not all of them) where it gives a crash report it show the DLL where it crashes is:

wbemprox.dll

While appcrashview.exe at this reports, show the last module to be loaded is:

C:\Windows\system32\dinput.DLL

I found the solution:

If you look into your log.log file (inside the FSX directory) you will find something like:

"direct3d create effect from file failed

use "<FSX-directory>" for your shader files"

The Australia patch again (it also happened with the 002 patch) messes up and/or corrupts files necessary for people running FSX with FXAA (post-process injector tool) for much better color range-depth.

With the 002 patch, it deleted the two necessary shader.* files.

Now with the 003, it does something else that hinders the function of FXAA.

Just copy from your ZIP backup (I assume you do have a complete ZIP backup of your FXAA needed files) all the FXAA needed files into the FSX directory, and it will work again.

PS: To Orbx:

Why do you take actions in the users' FSX installation, without consent from the users? Messing with the FXAA files is none of your business.

We have hundreds of euros, dollars, (whatever) invested in our FSX setup, and re-installing everyhing from scratch is NOT an option as it will take DAYS or a full WEEK.

Do you not have any respect for our precious time?

PS2: And do not delete this post.

The previous post, a few months ago, when I had mentioned what patch 002 did, had been deleted for no reason, and with no warning.

By me is everything OK, the only thing that's has been changed are the loading times for Australia. It takes 2 minutes  more for starting a flight. Have you set FTX central to Oceania before you installed the patch?

Here is a shot from Canberra Airport in the dusk with the new lights.

Peter

zqtTe.jpg

I've just found this in my log:

"    full path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\   "

???  :-[

I am not a expert! What can I do? I no back up :mellow:  and now, I have no more FSX :-[:-[   :- 

C'est un un soft genre Enbseries (bloom) qui modifie les couleurs de FSX. T'es sûr que tu l'utilise pas pour tes screens ?

It's a utility somehow likewise to Enbseries (bloom) which changes the colours of FSX. Are you sure you are not using it for your screenshots?

SweetFX?? so this is nothing to do with the Orbx installer just as I thought.. most of us appear to have no problems after the install.. Perhaps an apology to Orbx is in order??. Teecee.

It has everything to do with the OrbX installer.

Did you not read the above posts?

The OrbX installer deletes and/or changes-corrupts other files, that have NOTHING to do with the OrbX products.

SweetFX?? so this is nothing to do with the Orbx installer just as I thought.. most of us appear to have no problems after the install.. Perhaps an apology to Orbx is in order??. Teecee.

well....great you have no problems. others do. Maybe an apology to them would be fair ?

The OrbX installer deletes and/or changes-corrupts other files, that have NOTHING to do with the OrbX products.

Mmmm... your kind of post won't be tolerated here. Trust me on this one 8)

I don't see your point of being so arrogant anyway.

Some constructive suggestion and help would benefit many that have this problem.

Ben

I found the solution:

If you look into your log.log file (inside the FSX directory) you will find something like:

"direct3d create effect from file failed

use "<FSX-directory>" for your shader files"

The Australia patch again (it also happened with the 002 patch) messes up and/or corrupts files necessary for people running FSX with FXAA (post-process injector tool) for much better color range-depth.

With the 002 patch, it deleted the two necessary shader.* files.

Now with the 003, it does something else that hinders the function of FXAA.

Just copy from your ZIP backup (I assume you do have a complete ZIP backup of your FXAA needed files) all the FXAA needed files into the FSX directory, and it will work again.

Hi Globaller,

Thanks a lot! Now I'm a happy camper again! :)

I'm using FXAA and had the same problem. Your findings saved me a lot of time for investigating and searching.

Cheers, Wolfgang 

Could you please enlighten to me exactly which files the installer deletes or changes?

Here is a list of the files installed by the SP4.003 installer (which would the same as the 4.002 installer, but with the newer 3D lights)

SP4_Fileset.txt

Also, a report from the installer program showing which files are installed.

AUSP4003_Report.zip

So, if the offending file can be found, we would like to investigate it further.

I had the same problem. In my case the reason was a file which somehow seems to be deleted by the installer, named dxgi.fx After adding this file again to my fsx root directory everything worked fine again.

Cheers, Andreas

Thanks Andreas, that's narrowed it down for me perfectly.

I have inspected the batch file process which runs post-install and I have found what the cause is. The 4.002 patch (which was released back in May 2011) had some clean up processes which removed files from previous Au region installs. One of these was to delete effects files that were installed into the root folder in error. Unfortunately this "dxgi.fx" file has been caught up in the process. Considering that fx files usually reside outside the root folder we did not foresee this happening.

We apologise for the inconvenience and I am re-uploading new builds with that script corrected. 

I have inspected the batch file process which runs post-install and I have found what the cause is. The 4.002 patch (which was released back in May 2011) had some clean up processes which removed files from previous Au region installs. One of these was to delete effects files that were installed into the root folder in error. Unfortunately this "dxgi.fx" file has been caught up in the process. Considering that fx files usually reside outside the root folder we did not foresee this happening.

We apologise for the inconvenience and I am re-uploading new builds with that script corrected. 

Thank you Ed. Do you give a HU when the new build is available?

Thank You very much Ed!

As i also had the same issue i am now most happy as well to read that there is a new build on the horizon!

Cheers, Christoph

That's great to hear, Ed!

Thank you very much for all your efforts and your continuous perfect support!

Cheers, Wolfgang

Yes, as I said.

The 4.002 had obviously a "del <FSX>\*.fx" command somewhere in its scripts.

(where <FSX> is the FSX directory)

It's good that, finally, this very serious bug was acknowledged, found, reproduced and corrected.

So, perhaps an apology to me, is in order?

The patch has been updated with a new post clean-up process that will not delete the dxgi.fx file. Links now have the new file.

It's not just the dxgi.fx file.

Other versions or variants of FXAA or SweetFX, use some other shader file in the <FSX> directory.

For example:

shader.fx

Archived