Down to one Packet a day. Part 1

VH-KDK

The Fairchild C-82 Packet served with the USAAF for only a short time due to several shortcomings including being underpowered and the airframe not being strong enough to lift heavy cargo. These were overcome but only 223 were built before the more successful C119 Flying Boxcar replaced it.

A few were sold on to civil operators mainly in the Americas. They were popular for being a sturdy freighter and having the capability to carry large bulky items. The last one was retired from service in the late 80s.

In 2006 the last C-82 flight was made by a Packet flying to a museum for preservation.

In this flight a C-82 will fly from Chenega Bay, over the Chugach Range to Birchwood.

1.jaTy.jpg

Taking off from the gravel strip at Chenega Bay on Evans Island.

2.pGgr8.jpg

Flemming Island with Bainbridge Island behind.

3.3xlGJ.jpg

Flying along Knight Island Passage with Knight Island in view.

4.UJPyp.jpg

Chenega Island is below the C-82 with Chenega Glacier in the distance which is part of the Sargent Icefield.

5.NO0gY.jpg

Procession Rocks is just behind the Packet.

6.zoAKG.jpg

Close to Port Nellie Juan.

7.Cl3u6.jpg

Prince William Sound.

8.SJkXw.jpg

Cochrane Bay with the Blackstone Glacier in the distance.

9.zBWUM.jpg

Over Port Wells.

10.ehbA1.jpg

Flying up College Fiord with the Barry Glacier just under the port wing.

11.xyfdk.jpg

At the top end of College Fiord.

12.J56BI.jpg

Harvard Glacier.

13.ct5SF.jpg

Over the Chugach Range.

14.6VGAU.jpg

Mount Marcus Baker.

15.tf0hR.jpg

Now over the Knik Glacier with Mount Marcus Baker, Middle and North Marcus Baker Peaks behind.

To be continued.

Excellent set of shots.

Impressive set of shots Martyn . Thanks for posting these beauties .  ::)  ::)

Brad

Great tour, great description, and an informative background description. Thanks for this fat bird flight!

Great looking shots Martyn with fantastic scenery

Great shots and narration Martyn. Looking forward to the next part too.

Loved it Martyn, although it look's more like a flying Bean than an aircraft..  HaHa  :)

A wonderful set here!

Very nice and informative set. It must be something to see and hear this aircraft in real life.

Fine shots indeed Martyn, I look forward to the next part.

cheers

Iain

Thank you everybody for the comments.

Beautiful set!  What aircraft is that?  I'm always looking for the odd and unusual for FS. :)

John

Its a Fairchild C-82 Packet John. See the link below.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Fairchild+C-82+updated+package&x=13&y=12

Great screenshots, number 5 is superb. I'm downloading this bird right now as I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is freeware.

Hope you enjoy it Jocko, another great old aircraft to fly. I am amazed by the freeware out there and the quality of it.

Archived