Heli pilot gets to eat tonight

jpreou

So I landed myself a job with Vertical Works in Taupo.

We primarily do flight training but like any heli organisation we do hire and charter as well.

Like most aviation organisations things are a little low at the moment so I was especially pleased to get a call last night by a holiday maker who had planned some activities in Taupo and decided to 'do it in style' and travel by heli. Sweet; weather permitting I'll be able to afford some dinner tomorrow night!

Woke up to a beautiful day. My luck's in. My charter arrived nice and early so we hover taxi out to the runway, do final checks, get our final take off clearance and we're off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We fly over Lake Taupo, catching sight of the mountains over the other side.

Posted Image

Klaus, my charter, wants to see Huka Falls, so we track along the river.

Posted Image

We get a good view, but apparently this is not god enough. Sooo, I have one of *those* passengers!

(Huka Falls is way more impressive IRL, by the way)

Posted Image

Ok, its still very early and no-one is around, so down we go. (don't try this at home kids!)

Posted Image

For his first activity today, Klaus has some trout fishing with a local guide. I know the guide well; he has his boat moored just on the edge of town and has a floating helipad. Its a tad small and a little tricky to get onto, but we manage it. Klaus goes fishing, and I head for breakfast along the water front. Usually plenty of, ahem, 'scenery' when the sun is out ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After fishing (he got a good bag) we track over the seaplane on our way back to the airport. Klaus reckons he might take that out tomorrow.

Posted Image

Time for his next activity. NZ, of course, is often called the adrenalin capital of the world and I don't think any place does more tandem skydives than the various organisations at Taupo. Today Klaus will be jumping with Taupo Tandem Skydiving, a good bunch of guys. I jumped there myself some years ago with some skydiving friends. I think they have a PAC 750 now; what a rocket ship!

Posted Image

After his jump, its time to drop Klaus at his waterfront apartments.

Posted Image

As for me, I head back to Vertical Works. Got a good few flights in there. Some nice coin in my pocket. I'll get to eat this evening :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great story & shots, I like posts like this!

(not to underestimate the hovering over the lake, and the pad landing, of course...)

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get down onto that thing!

The 300 is quite sprightly; I don't remember it being quite that difficult when I hovered one in real life a few years back, but of course in the sim you have no 'feel' and no peripheral vision. My first ever heli hover went quite well; very stable; I have a video of it somewhere. The instructor was impressed that it was the first time ever he had given a first time flyer all the primary controls; the only thing he controlled was throttle. It was a fantastic experience, but just too expensive for me to pursue helis :(

Archived