A little cross country soaring...

G'day all,

It's been many many moons since I last posted some screenies, what with all the real life flying fun I've been having. I've started playing around with FSX as a soaring simulator again just lately, and while it in no way compares with Condor for the mechanics, it certainly does look a lot nicer! The strength with FSX in ORBX land is that I can actually use this to practise my real cross country flights to some degree... most of the landmarks I need to identify in the real world are actually well represented in FTX AU with OZx. Having my home airfield represented with Jarrad's wonderful YCUN freeware is just the icing on the cake 8)

The flight I did tonight is one that I've done before for real, if you've been following along with my soaring adventures this was my very first cross country flight, you can read about it here or here. After a launch from Cunderdin, the flight followed the Great Eastern Highway to the East until Tammin, then turned NorthWest heading towards the Watercarrin Wheat Bin before returning to Cunderdin. Task distance is 91km, a mere hop - but pretty long for my first effort - and tonight I was flying the fantastic freeware LS8-18, a Standard Class LS8 that has extended wingtips to 18m. Anyway, on with the show.

Posted Image

At the top of my first climb, about 7,500' and heading off on task. Cunderdin town and airfield behind me.

Posted Image

Rounding my first turnpoint - the Tammin Wheat Silo. Wheat silos make terrific turnpoints for soaring in WA, they're all over the place and you can see them from miles off. It's hard to imagine that up until a few short years ago, taking a photo of your turnpoint while rounding it like this was a requirement to prove you had completed a task... it's only been the last few years that GPS logs have been allowed as evidence.

Posted Image

Thermalling after passing Tammin, topping up on a bit of altitude.

Posted Image

Another thermal, this one was full of avian companions taking advantage of a bit of free lift.

Posted Image

Dodgy wildlife photography... I really should be paying attention to where the glider is going!

Posted Image

Lots of nice thermals around today, and at least a bit of humidity to allow some Cu formation.

Posted Image

Turning over the Watercarrin Bin.

Posted Image

Exiting a cloudstreet and on final glide. Plenty of altitude and only 25km to go... time to redline this thing

Posted Image

Smoking the finish line... Vne at half a wingspan in ground effect in front of the GCWA facilities and dumping water ballast. Followed by a popup to 700' and into the circuit.

Thanks for reading along, great to be back and I'm sure to have more up soon!

Cheers,

Derek

PS - a couple of RL comparison shots so you can see what an amazing job Jarrad did way back when he did this scenery!

Posted Image

Cunderdin Airfield YCUN from about 4,000' in the late afternoon. Not bad for an iPhone shot.

Posted Image

Looking over the town before heading off x-country to Tammin

A great set of shots and good to see the comparison between FSX and the real deal. ;)

I've had the pleasure of a couple of one-day flight experiences in a glider and while that hardly makes me an expert I do recommend the Aerosoft Discus X as being a worthwhile investment for soaring in FSX if you don't already have it? :)

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Like the cloud shadows btw! :)

Cheers John, the new update to CumulusX has nicely softened shadows, much nicer to look at than the old ones. There's lots of nice benefits to having a paid CumulusX license :)

Lest the ground rise up and smite ye, which it appears to be doing... :lol:

Was looking backwards in this shot so my nose would've been high! But yes, that's always a danger lol

Great pics Derek. If you keep posting stories about your gliding exploits I will have to fly out to Oz and join you!

You know you want to Howard! Great to see lots of love for country WA in the screenie forums lately.

I've had the pleasure of a couple of one-day flight experiences in a glider and while that hardly makes me an expert I do recommend the Aerosoft Discus X as being a worthwhile investment for soaring in FSX if you don't already have it? :)

I have the DiscusX but I don't actually think it's all that flash. The freeware gliders by Wolfgang Piper and Ian Forster Lewis far surpass the performance of the DiscusX, they look great from the outside too! The DiscusX has a much nicer VC though, which of course has a framerate hit.

Cheers,

Derek

It's great to see you posting screenies again my friend, it's definitely been a while! Hope all is well and I'm happy you have been enjoying some real life gliding, and I'm definitely going to be following your site about it. Great screenies, and you have inspired me to get in the glider more in FSX. Hope to get a set or some shots up, take it easy and keep em coming mate! :)

Archived