"AutoStar I Was Wrong.....Sorry"

Eric C

Hey guys and gals, I had a post recently asking everyone what they thought of AutoStar X, and ended up saying that the manual deterred me from even trying it because it was wordy, speculative, and confusing. http://www.orbxsyste...-on-autostar-x/

The manual is wordy, but the program adds a subtle change to the night sky, but enough of a change that it will make you smile during your night flights (especially above FL200) enjoying the wonderful view. Rob Newman from the forums was kind enough to email me just the stars.dat file which I replaced with the original file in fsx (made a backup of the original of course), and I made some screenshots showing the nice effect. So, I apologize for judging the program off the manual, but all of us simmers are skeptical of adding any add on that may make us have to reinstall FSX all over again.... ;)

Here's a shot that I took without AustoStar (Default FSX)

Posted Image

These shots are with AutoStar installed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The change is subtle but enough to make you really notice the night time sky especially during those long cruise/en-route phases of flight.

Here's the link for AutoStar X and it is free

http://flyawaysimula...fsx-autostar-x/

And here's the HD moon texture in case anyone doesn't have it yet, which also goes well with AutoStar

http://fsxtimes.word...n-and-the-star/

Enjoy the program and when I'm wrong on something, there is no shame to raise my hand as high as the sky and say, "I was wrong, and I'm sorry" Later :)

Thanks Eric,

After seeing your pics here I am convinced, these stars are magnificent, I'm off to install AutostarX. Thanks for feedback about this little program, dawn and dusk are my favorite times to fly. Orbx + Autostar + Shade. Oh what a beautiful marble we live on.

Thanks Eric,

After seeing your pics here I am convinced, these stars are magnificent, I'm off to install AutostarX. Thanks for feedback about this little program, dawn and dusk are my favorite times to fly. Orbx + Autostar + Shade. Oh what a beautiful marble we live on.

No problem Jeff, and I agree that there is nothing like a nice dawn and dusk flight. Enjoy the program buddy :)

Tes Eric it sure does look real nice i might have to give it a go after all.

cheers

Iain

Very nice Iain, that manual was the only problem but that add on is very nice.

Excellent pics Eric...

Just love the curvature of the Earth in a couple of them.

Looks like a great little program.

Thanks a lot Dave. The program does make for a great view, especially the higher cruising altitude you fly :)

You need to have the Microsoft visual basic runtime module installed... just do a search for MSVBM50.exe and install from the link on the Microsoft support site... takes just mere minutes...

You need to have the Microsoft visual basic runtime module installed... just do a search for MSVBM50.exe and install from the link on the Microsoft support site... takes just mere minutes...

stunning pics Eric

"Rob Newman from the forums was kind enough to email me just the stars.dat file which I replaced with the original file in fsx "

would you be able to share the file?

Thanks, and no problem Zoran, just message me your email address and I'll get the file to ya :)

Would you mind sending me a copy as well? williamclarkfaa@hotmail.com

Thanks...

Just sent it Will. Enjoy buddy :)

Nice screenies Eric and thanks for the update.

No problem Howard, I had to admit I was wrong on this one after trying it and seeing the difference on those night flights. ;)

For some reason it wont let me open the Pdf manual ,from two sources

Zoron, I think the file I got was a word or notepad file. If you can't get it to open let me know.

• 5 years later...

Archived