Orbx to the MS Flight love in?

maxter

Just wondering if any of the Orbx guys got a gurnsey to the recent MS Flight reveal at Redmond, especially given that Orbx is the premier FS scenery development team there is.

I see that Tom and Nels have both announced their participation in their own sites.

Cheers,

Just wondering if any of the Orbx guys got a gurnsey to the recent MS Flight reveal at Redmond, especially given that Orbx is the premier FS scenery development team there is.

I see that Tom and Nels have both announced their participation in their own sites.

Cheers,

Who are Tom and Nels?

Tom Allensworth ad Nels Anderson. Tom runs Avsim.com, Nels runs Flightsim.com. It seems MS only invited news sites. The guys of Simflight.com were also invited. Since they all revealed this news I doubt sharing the Microsoft invitation with the public does falls under the NDA.This what Tom Allenswordt said on Avsim:

Microsoft invited a select group of community organizations to Redmond, Washington, for a preview and discussion regarding Microsoft's soon to be released FLIGHT simulator. The meeting and hand's on sessions took place this last Tuesday, December 13th. AVSIM was represented by Tom Allensworth, Publisher, and Robert Whitwell, Reviews Editor. This meeting was held under the auspices of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which all participants are covered by. In this meeting Microsoft shared confidential information and access to the FLIGHT game. Microsoft has indicated that some restrictions imposed by the NDA will be removed during the first week of January. To the extent that we are able and willing to do so, AVSIM will report on those aspects of FLIGHT allowed by those reduced restrictions. Please stay tuned. More to follow...

And this is on Flightsim.com:

We've known it was coming for some time, since August 17, 2010 when Microsoft first announced their new product "Microsoft Flight". For a long time we knew little about it but gradually Microsoft released more and more, with screen shots, videos and some news items with limited details.

On December 1, 2011, the Microsoft team announced "the Microsoft Flight launch sequence has begun!" so the product really is real and is now possibly only months away from release.

In that same announcement, a request for beta testers was made, with beta testing set to kick off in January 2012. We will keep you up to date with new information as we know it. In the meantime, be sure the visit to official Microsoft Flight web site for official information.

I never understand why companies like this keep a product "secret" what's the big deal anyway?

insider trading since its a public company and competition. Not to mention is been work in progress so far and thus have no idea what will make it into the final version until it moves into a beta or gold version. All of this is just my opinion.

Brian: generally the NDA describes the relationship between the owner of the technology, private information and the employee. It could be seperate it could be part of the employment contract. There are certain laws that also allow you to discuss matters with new employers. But you can't obviously share certain information especially internal documentation.

today's press release by MS on Flight

=>

January 4th, 2012 – Microsoft Flight Takes to the Skies

Today, Microsoft Studios premiered Microsoft Flight, a PC game that lets players jump into the challenge, fun, and freedom of flight. Microsoft Flight will be available as a free download this spring, giving players the freedom to fly the skies over the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii, complete a variety of exciting missions, test their skills in flying challenges, or find hidden aerocaches on the island.

In Microsoft Flight, players view the world from above in a visually stunning and realistic representation of the earth, complete with region-specific weather patterns, foliage, terrain and landmarks. Players can choose to take the helm using highly rendered, accurate cockpits and authentic piloting procedures, or simply use their mouse and keyboard to control the plane in an exterior view. More experienced players can tailor the flight controls to match their skill level, making Microsoft Flight easy for beginners while still challenging for the most accomplished PC pilots.

“Many people dream of flying, but few have the chance to experience the fun of exploring the world from above. Microsoft Flight provides players the opportunity to explore that curiosity and interest,” said Joshua Howard, executive producer of Microsoft Flight. “Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we’ve taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone.”

Start Exploring For Free

After downloading Microsoft Flight for free, players can jump into hours of exciting gameplay on the Big Island of Hawaii.

In addition, players who sign in to their Games for Windows – LIVE account automatically receive additional free content, including the legendary Boeing Stearman plane, supplementary missions, and access to Achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options. The frequently released new content for Microsoft Flight includes daily aerocache challenges and updates that make every flight unique and fun.

Be the First to Fly the Definitive Light Sport Aircraft ICON A5

Microsoft Studios worked with the personal airplane manufacturing team at ICON Aircraft to give aviation fans the exclusive opportunity to fly the all-new ICON A5 before real-world production starts at the end of 2012. Designed by the world-class aeronautical engineers behind the Voyager spaceship, X-Prize winning SpaceShipOne, and Virgin Galatic’s SpaceShipTwo, the ICON A5 is the “jet ski for the skies,” a high-wing amphibious monoplane with a carbon fiber airframe and a comfortable, automobile-inspired cockpit with space for two. The ICON A5 will be the first aircraft available to players for free in Microsoft Flight.

“ICON Aircraft and Microsoft Flight both share the goal of making the fun of flying accessible to everyone who’s ever dreamed about it. ICON does this by fusing world-class product design with the very best engineering, and Microsoft by combining the excitement of a great gaming experience with the authenticity of a top notch flight simulator,” said ICON Aircraft CEO Kirk Hawkins.

Be the First to Experience Microsoft Flight

Additionally, sign-ups for beta are still open! Be among the first to try Microsoft Flight by applying for the closed beta at:

https://connect.micr...=FLY-BRQX-BXTB.

The voyage continues at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from January 10 – 13. Those that attend will have the chance to play Microsoft Flight before it releases this spring at the Microsoft booth, located in the Central Hall.

<=

.... and what a bitter disappointment :blink:

Interest lost,

Derek

Why? Hawaii and 2 aircraft free, the rest payware... It's the new world...

I'm excited... Hopefully less piracy, an iTunes type of store, auto updates and hopefully much more.

I think a perfect opportunity for the Orbx development model to appear on another platform...

I would buy all Orbx, A2A and PMDG products again in a heartbeat if the outcome meant higher fidelity world and systems modeling and physics engine etc...

I think a perfect opportunity for the Orbx development model to appear on another platform...

I would buy all Orbx, A2A and PMDG products again in a heartbeat if the outcome meant higher fidelity world and systems modeling and physics engine etc...

That makes two of us.

as John Venema already has said multiple times, as long as ORBX doesn't have access to a SDK for Flight there won't be happening much.

According to the following article there won't be an SDK: http://flyawaysimula.../#ixzz1iViQ3c2q

The game will feature it’s own marketplace, with content regulated by Microsoft. There will be no scenery development kit and hence no user created content.

From reading about it they have really seemed to have improved the engine and even with content regulated by Microsoft that still does not mean orbx wont make stuff they would just be a partner or somthing. And doing small areas at a time is also smart, Orbx does it.

They even implemented a xp point system in it :wacko:

Maybe the game engine is a big improvement and good base for the add ons. But the base package only covers Hawaii so you have too buy allot off regions to cover the hole world.

I hope Prepar3D V2 will be a nice upgrade from FSX.

Why? Hawaii and 2 aircraft free, the rest payware... It's the new world...

I'm excited... Hopefully less piracy, an iTunes type of store, auto updates and hopefully much more.

Because I have no interest in flying in Hawaii, I fly mostly here in Oz. Or flying an Ikon. Or to be honest a Stearman either. And as it looks like there'll be no user created content available, where is the next gen of budding scenery developers for the product going to come from? If demand drives the content being developed by MS, how long till we'd see Australia represented. A year? 2? Never? I'll still check it out, don't get me wrong there, but it will have a very short shelf-life for me if Hawaii is the only place to explore.

Cheers,

Derek

I support 3rd party developers...and always will. I am against everything that Microsoft is trying to do here. This is making the way for others to follow. Release something free...then make them pay for each and every little thing. Max profit in front of max product quality.

FTX, PMDG, FLIGHT1 and all others I am sure, along with their following, will show Microsoft how a mistake this was....

As it stands...looks like I will be waiting for that Prepar3D to come back to earth with the price....

From reading about it they have really seemed to have improved the engine and even with content regulated by Microsoft that still does not mean orbx wont make stuff they would just be a partner or somthing. And doing small areas at a time is also smart, Orbx does it.

Without an sdk content can not be created by third party developers - this has been stated numerous times.

I was really disappointed by what I read, initially at least, but then realized my expectations for FLIGHT had been misplaced. What this announcement does is confirm FLIGHT is a game, not a simulator. I can live with that.

A free download to test performance and have a look see is a very smart marketing move and for me is a bonus because I don't have to pay for something I'm unlikely to use much. I will definitely be having a look as there are some good visual aspects to FLIGHT I would like to see first hand. For its target audience FLIGHT looks like it could be very good. Time will tell.

For me with products from ORBX, REX and other great add-on developers we have seen FSX take big steps forward over the past years. I wont be leaving it any time soon so will watch FLIGHT with mild interest but I can now put it to the side because for me the future is not FLIGHT but Prepar3D. That's where Aerosoft, ORBX and others seem to be heading. Follow the quality I say.

Archived