Just Ordered Track IR 5 Hope it Was a Good Choice...

Jocko Flocko

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce, you have a simple configuration problem. I cannot get to the computer I use for FSX, but the same happened to me and from memory it was the ticking or unticking of a command. that caused the problem. As for eye strain, yourv'e got me beat there, never heard of that one before.

Jim.

I too had a problem with eye strain, or in my case, motion sickness. I tried many different profiles and found it works just as everyone says, but I'm very sensitive to movement so I returned it. I even get sick when I'm driving a curvey road.

I can relate to that. FS is okay, but I can't play car driving games for that same reason - rampant vertigo. When I was taking flying lessons, I'd be absolutely fine as long as I had control of the plane. Once I handed over the yoke to the instructor, the queasiness started coming on quickly. You have my sympathies on that count.

Bruce, that sounds odd. Are you sure you had the axes set up to track properly? I've found TIR to track very naturally - ie, look left, the camera looks left. It's not for everybody, of course, but what you're reporting sounds like abnormal TIR behavior.

No configuration problem its just the way it works. Think about it - say you are looking straight ahead and you want to look out of the RH window, you turn your head to the right and as you do so the display the rotates to the left so that the POV is now out the RH window. I accept that this doesn't bug most trackIR users but having installed EZCA I find that with a bit of juggling of camera positions mapped to yoke/joystick buttons I can move my POV around the VC in much the same way as with trackIR but without the visual disturbance. The other reason I stopped using trackIR is that the system is sensitive to extraneous background light.

Bruceb

The other reason I stopped using trackIR is that the system is sensitive to extraneous background light.

Bruceb

That was exactly my problem. My rig stands in the kitchen and there is one light directly behind my rig my girlfriend uses everytime she is doing something in the kitchen. There is also a window and when the sun shined in TrackIR was of no use. Then I got the Track Clip and there is nor more problem with other lightsources. Mine are recognized everytime without problems.

No configuration problem its just the way it works. Think about it - say you are looking straight ahead and you want to look out of the RH window, you turn your head to the right and as you do so the display the rotates to the left so that the POV is now out the RH window. I accept that this doesn't bug most trackIR users but having installed EZCA I find that with a bit of juggling of camera positions mapped to yoke/joystick buttons I can move my POV around the VC in much the same way as with trackIR but without the visual disturbance. The other reason I stopped using trackIR is that the system is sensitive to extraneous background light.

Bruceb

Uh... okay. I cannot imagine how you'd prefer it to work, but if that bugs you then by all means keep not using it. It seems like an extension of my head, and therefore the most natural thing in the world to use, but I certainly doesn't bother me if you disagree. The background light problem is annoying, I'll grant you that. My sim setup is in a basement room with no windows where the walls are painting dark brown, so light issues never enter into it for me. I do recall fighting with it in previous setups, though.

Are you using the bog standard Trackclip? Ever since getting the Trackclip Pro for my TIR5 the dreaded 'sunshine through the window' syndrome has ceased.

I've come to the conclusion that some folks just don't 'get' TrackIR, just as I don't 'get' Ezdok!

EDIT: I notice that Jan has said prexactly the same thing. (Note to self: Read the bloody thread before sticking your oar in!)

I have just started using TrackIR and Ezdok. I have to say, in conjunction with the Warthog controller, I can easily have up to about ten camera positions easily clicked to by switches on both the stick and the throttle. Because of this I am quickly coming to the conclusion that TrackIR is almost obsolete. I won't play the Emperor's clothes and will be more than happy to offer an opinion on the redundancy of trackIR if I feel it's not for me. I'm not convinced I like moving my head around to get different views. I think it is preferable to simply quickly change to one of the ten or so views which are just as easily accessed by clicking a switch on the end of my thumb. However, I am still getting my head around both of these new addons and so fo me, the jury is still in the next room :unsure:

Ya same here Martin, got mine today to but here we go again with getting it set right . But me it's the panel-- is to high and man it's sensitive , lord you just move your head a tiny bit and she zooms across, got my speed at .06 and my smooth at 6. And when i want to look over the dash i almost have to stand up off my seat ha. I looked on U-tube for set up video's but didn't see any thing for setting these up .I downloaded the file by Spirit flyer but it won't open up for some reason.

Ya same here Martin, got mine today to but here we go again with getting it set right . But me it's the panel-- is to high and man it's sensitive , lord you just move your head a tiny bit and she zooms across, got my speed at .06 and my smooth at 6. And when i want to look over the dash i almost have to stand up off my seat ha. I looked on U-tube for set up video's but didn't see any thing for setting these up .I downloaded the file by Spirit flyer but it won't open up for some reason.If you look at this U-tube video you see it's smooth but what are his settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHs39838SPk

Louis-

By slighly adjusting the camera up or down on your monitor you can adjusts the height of how the panel looks, also I have my speed set at 0.4 and the smooth set at 30 using either the default profile or the profile that was posted here. I had to set the view for the RealAir Turbine Duke in the cfg file, but other than that one plane all the others seem to work fine. Good luck!

Cheers

Martin

Louis-

By slighly adjusting the camera up or down on your monitor you can adjusts the height of how the panel looks, also I have my speed set at 0.4 and the smooth set at 30 using either the default profile or the profile that was posted here. I had to set the view for the RealAir Turbine Duke in the cfg file, but other than that one plane all the others seem to work fine. Good luck!

Cheers

Martin

Louis-

Cheers

Martin

Sorry for the multiple post, not sure what it going on!

Ya same here Martin, got mine today to but here we go again with getting it set right . But me it's the panel-- is to high and man it's sensitive , lord you just move your head a tiny bit and she zooms across, got my speed at .06 and my smooth at 6. And when i want to look over the dash i almost have to stand up off my seat ha. I looked on U-tube for set up video's but didn't see any thing for setting these up .I downloaded the file by Spirit flyer but it won't open up for some reason.If you look at this U-tube video you see it's smooth but what are his settings?

I had excactly the same situation Louis, that's why IMO Ezdok is essential. If I had to choose between the two it would have to be Ezdok!

Just a note for anyone struggling to get smooth movement with TIR.

I've had TIR4 for ages, using it with the V5 software. I couldn't get smooth panning, and the view occasionally locked up. TIR had no adverse affect on fps.

I've only just built a new more powerful computer. TIR is now smooth as silk, and the software rock solid. My conclusion is if your system is struggling a little bit to cope with FSX, although TIR has no discernable affect on fps, it is having difficulties behind the scenes.

Jim

Wow that's interesting to hear Jim but for right now the setting Martin told me made a hugh difference in the default mode. So now and i'll use the Duke - if i want to look down to turn on the fuel valves my chin is sunk way down in my chest sort of speak and still have a hard time so that;s a setting that i don't have a clue .And the new PMDG NGX might be a tough one to get right . Had no idea EZDOK played a big part.

I find that sometimes when I want to look down for fuel or something else that seems to be out of the range for TrackIR, I'll pauseTrackIR with F9 key, pan down with my button on the joystick make the change then unpause it and off I go! Also as mentioned above for the Duke I had to change the eye point in the cfg file in order to raise the panel to eye level on my system because I couldn't adjusted it high enough with just the camera's position! Once you get it working right you'll love it!

Cheers

Martin

I have both. I have tried on several occasions to get it set up right. Once I get it it lasts for a while and then TrackIR flips and looks the other direction. I have done research but I have not been able to find a solution that works. Lately I just do not have the time to fiddle. Just want to fly!

I had the track 4 and it did work on occasion, problem was some reflected light in my background.

Unless I built a dark screen around my computer (wifey said; give it up) there was no way to eliminate stray light.

I finally sold it on eBay for half.

• 1 month later...

I've had Track IR5 for about three months now and never, ever fly without it. I don't have headphones so I clipped the reflector to a golf visor (sometimes called a 'peak'). Works a treat.

For what its worth, I've slowed the speed right down to 0.5 and put the smooth up to 30. Those are the only adjustments I've made. I find it can be a bit neck cricking to look at the instruments higher up but suspect that's sometimes the case in real aircraft too. As for turning, I'm lucky, I've got a revolving office chair and if that doesn't work too well, I screw the visor round on my head or up and down temporarily for what I want to do. Mind you, that messes my hair up a bit. ;D

Oh, and in answer to the question, yes Track IR does work in outside view and if you use Bob its great because you can turn your head while walking rather than turning him!

I've looked at Ezdock and decided from the awful critique in the website selling it that I didn't want anything to do with it. I don't think I'm missing it.

Hope it helps.

John

Hey, I haven't used my Track IR5 because I thought I couldn't use outside view. Tried "S", but nothing. I also found I wasn't steady enough to toggle switches, even though I was very still.

"pigeon"

I use TIR with ezdok. I like TIR because it allow you to have a look at the runway while downwind quite rapidly. I found however that Tir makes the image shoppy during fast movement. Still in process of adjusting with my 3d surroun setup.

For the radios and instruments, i created ezdok views where Tir is disabled so those views dont move and button adjustment is easy.

I also replaced the pause key of Tir by a second pilot view where Tir is disabled. Then using FSUIPC i mapped both view on the same button. I used the conditional button command of FSUIPC that allows using another button as a kind of "shift" key which allows to double the number of functions assigned to all the buttons on my yoke..

I also replaced the pause key of Tir by a second pilot view where Tir is disabled. Then using FSUIPC i mapped both view on the same button. I used the conditional button command of FSUIPC that allows using another button as a kind of "shift" key which allows to double the number of functions assigned to all the buttons on my yoke..

There's another (IMHO better) way to do this with FSUIPC. You map two operations to one of the 'PTT' stye butons on your yoke:the DOWN event swtches to the alternative (non-TrackIR) view and the UP event to the standard view. This means you have the alternative view only while you hold the button down.

@johny, yes keep it simple is always an option

@markh, good one. Thanks

Hi Kamarad,

BEST rule of any design solution, K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid!)

However both your's and markh's posts interest me. Track IR is brilliant and IMHO a "must have" but for those like me who've not dabbled too deeply into it's full potential and others looking at this I don't suppose you could post "an idiots guide to..." bothof your solutions?

Apart from KISS a good manual is always helpfull ...because eventually everyone will read it ;) .

My only minor reservation with Track IR is more to do with how FSX handles external views. For cockpit views I've no issues with it and it's the best hardware add-on I've bought.

BTW if you don't want the "headset clip on" the base pack comes with a simple clip on unit that works with any baseball cap.

Geoff

@lateagain

Ok, here is an example of FSUIPC programming while maintaining a KISS attitude (meaning as detailed explanation as I could)....

This needs the registered version of FSUICP and the EZCA software.

1- Create EZCA views and assign them a key

======================================

In my case the first thing I have done is creating 2 views with EZCA and assigning keyboard key for each of them as follow. Those keys should not be assigned in FSX keys assignment. In my case I have freed the D and F keys in FSX keyboard assignment.

Key D = Pilot view with TIR active

Key F = Pilot view with TIR active (basically the same with the TIR button of EZCA off)

2- Identify the buttons you want to use on you joystick or yoke

=================================================

Then I decided which button on my yoke will be the conditional one i.e. if it is pressed it will trigger a choice of one of two events on al other yoke buttons, if it is not pressed then the default action assigned to all other buttons will take place.

Then, select the button you want to press to access the two different views created. Of course, if the condition button is pressed, you want one view to appear and if the condition button is not, you want the second view to appear.

You have to identify the joystick and button number as seen by FSUICP. To do so, you can open FSUIPC, go to the buttons+switches tab and just press one of the two buttons (the conditional and the view selection one) you want to assign on your yoke, take note of the joystick and button number that will appear in the middle of the screen. Then press the Clear button on FSUIPC, push the second button you want to use on your yoke. Take note again. Hit the Clear button in FSUIPC and close it.

In my case, the condition button was on my CH yoke left handle (the button where the index falls naturally). The joystick,button number is : 0,0

The button I wanted to push to select either view is the one of the right handle of my CH Yoke and the joystick,number id is 0,1 on my system.

3- Identify the code for emulating the keys selected for EZCA views

=====================================================

Then you need to find the code for the two keys you assigned to your view in the EZCA software. In my case it was the key “F” and “D”. Peter Dowsown provided a table of codes in page 15 and 16 of the “FSUIPC4 for Advanced users manual.pdf”. Lookout in the table for the code for each keys you selected.

D = 68

F= 70

Well that’s it for the preparation, now we enter the dangerous area that needs either a highly skilled programmers or just a confident soul with no programming skill.

4- Programming the buttons

=========================

Go to your FSX software directory, then to the module sub-directory then FSUIPC sub-directory.

Open FSUIPC.ini file with the Notepad window utility. Don’t use any sophisticated world processing softare.

Locate the Buttons section (Buttons within bracket). Locate and take note of the last line in this section. Below is an example for my system where the last line is numbered 5.

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,10

2=R0,7,K48,8

3=CP(+0,0)0,32,C65825,0

5=P0,6,C66691,0

You will have now to types two new lines with the following format. First line will describe what will arise when the condition button is unpushed, the second line when the condition button is pushed.

6=CP(-0,0)0,1,K68,8

7=CP(+0,0)0,1,K70,8

Let’s look in detail at the line numbered 6.

6=CP : 6 is a sequential number, just take the next one after the last line you see in the button section. The CP means conditional Pulse, just type it like that.

(-0,0) : This is the condition that is tested. Here the minus sign means that the button selected for the conditional action must be released (not pushed). If the button is unpushed, then the rest of the line will be considered by FSUIPC to provide an action. Otherwise the whole line is ignored.

0,1 : The id of the second button that you want to push to select view. So we can say at this point that if the first button is not pushed and the second button is pushed, then FSUIPC will initiate an action.

K68 : FSUIPC will generate the equivalent of a "F" keystroke if the button 1 is not pushed and the button 2 is pushed. Which will selects the first view of EZCA.

8 : Trust is important in life. Just trust me and leave 8 there.

Line 7 have similar structure, we just replaced the minus sign by a plus sign which indicate that this line if what should happen if the conditional button is pushed. If this condition is true and we push the second button simultaneously, FSUIPC will generate the keystroke K68 = D which will select the second EZCA view.

So now you have mapped two different functions on one button. Now that you have the button 0,0 reserved as a condition identificator, you can use the same approach to double the function assigned to all others buttons on your yoke.

OK OD YOU WIN, Not so KISS anymore … It seems much more simpler to do than to explain…. first time is the worse....

Good Luck,

Pierre

Hi Kamarad,

Thanks for that. Writing instructions is probably THE most difficult writing task ever. That's copied, saved and filed for future reference. I only just discovered EZDOK through this very thread.

^_^ ...and John I do appreciate your response. However as a long suffering fan of MSTS I'm not so phased by the re-writing of the odd line of code. Any real fan of MSTS has two versions (at least) of the software on his or her machine. One DEFAULT as a safety backup and one with so many mods and tweaks that it's practically a different programme.

There's never any risk in tweaking if you back up a copy of the original file first ...... :unsure: and I KNOW that's "Statin tha bleedin obvious" but flying is all about "fail safe" ? Let the man who's never screwed up a vital file, or failed to save it, cast the first stone..........

The great thing about Simming as a hobby is all the really helpful folk who patiently work all this stuff out and share it. In a world with so much destruction, waste and downturns it's great to have a hobby where creativity and a "lets see if we can make this happen" attitude drives it forward.

Geoff

I will add my 2 cents worth......Once you get used to flying with TrackIR, then I think that it will be very difficult to go back to flying without it. No problem to pause the TrackIR (and you can easily change the F9 key for any key of your choice), and if you keep trying, you can get wonderfully smooth views. It does seem to need centering rather more than I would like though, but now I do that without thinking. A very good add-on.

Smooth landings.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I was motivated to buy TrackIR in part by comments here so I thought I should share my experience:

After reading the posts in this thread and those in a similar thread on another forum I decided to buy TrackIR5 and Track Clip Pro as a birthday present to myself. In less than a week it has completely transformed my experience of flight simming.

Like a few people have mentioned, it can take some getting used to. My very first flight left me feeling a bit disappointed, and even a little nauseous. But within a couple of flights I found myself intuitively looking about as though I were in the cockpit.

The thing that really grabs me is how much it increases the level of immersion in the outside world, from the cockpit, not just within the cockpit itself. In this respect it has taken my enjoyment of Orbx scenery to another level. Flying circuits at Lilydale near dusk I had a moment where I gasped at the realisation of how much it felt like I was in the virtual landscape. I don't think I've had a simming epiphany like that since I first used 'Interceptor' on an Amiga500 in 1988 and discovered a love of flight sims.

The only slight irritation is the amount of cabling involved. The TrackClip Pro lead has a tendency to brush against my arm in a distracting way. If a wireless option ever came about I would certainly invest in it.

So another strong recommendation here.

The only slight irritation is the amount of cabling involved. The TrackClip Pro lead has a tendency to brush against my arm in a distracting way. If a wireless option ever came about I would certainly invest in it.

So another strong recommendation here.

I don't have the TrackClip Pro. That's the one that fits to a headset is it? The basic unit comes complete with a sensor that clips onto the peak of a baseball cap. No leads involved.

I admit that this does mean you've either to wear a headset or a baseball cap but IMHO the effect for low level flying is unbeatable. I do think the way the TrackClip Pro is promoted is a bit misleading. I only realised that it wasn't necessary because I telephoned for info before ordering.

Still if anyone buys one and doesn't like it I'm sure you'll find someone here who'll make you an offer?

Geoff

I will add my 2 cents worth......Once you get used to flying with TrackIR, then I think that it will be very difficult to go back to flying without it. No problem to pause the TrackIR (and you can easily change the F9 key for any key of your choice), and if you keep trying, you can get wonderfully smooth views. It does seem to need centering rather more than I would like though, but now I do that without thinking. A very good add-on.

Smooth landings.

I´m the same opinion. TrackIR is a MUST HAVE Hardware. You will never fly without it once getting used to it.

I don't have the TrackClip Pro. That's the one that fits to a headset is it?

That's right. It's a powered device in its own right with three red LEDs that ensure better tracking than the hat clip. There is a USB input on the Track Clip Pro cable so both devices are powered together by a single USB port.

I'm definitely happy with the whole set-up, thrilled in fact. I just think a wireless version would be even better.

I bought one about three years ago, as a guess, it's been used almost everyday, it's never missed a beat and still goes like the day I bought it. and there's no doubt in my mind it's the best hardware add-on ever.

Jim.

After reading the posts in this thread and those in a similar thread on another forum I decided to buy TrackIR5 and Track Clip Pro as a birthday present to myself. In less than a week it has completely transformed my experience of flight simming.

Try using (if you're already not) fsx on a 40" HDTV 1080p; that along with TIR5 completely transformed the experience. I really couldn't appreciate scenery on my tiny 20" LCD screen.

I bought one about three years ago, as a guess, it's been used almost everyday, it's never missed a beat and still goes like the day I bought it. and there's no doubt in my mind it's the best hardware add-on ever.

Jim.

+1. Fantastic piece of hardware. Wouldn't be without it now.

Pete

Archived