World Update XVII: United Kingdom & Ireland

Hi

CBK8vB2.png

I guess we will be having conflicts with your landmarks products right?

I have the UK regions and Dublin city

I'm heading right to it hoping there is not too much mess

Cheer

Carlos

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking about this on my way home.  If MSFS and the Community folder act as I think they do, then the UK Landmarks packs should overwrite the default landmarks because of the way the xml files control the scenery order.  If that's the case then there should be minimal impact on the Orbx scenery, as long as the exclusions cover the correct area.

But will see.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Boetie, I missed that post

Thanks John, indeed, I've been flying since the update and have found no issues except for one building in London that has a strange shape that is near the Shard thatis wider in the top and looks blue, one side of it shows a damage in the texture.

I'll fly back there in a minute and see if it yet happens and will take a picture

Cheers

Carlos

Hi gain

This is the building, but I don't know its name

You see there are some spikes

4WQrVTo.jpeg

But when you fly at certain distance it looks more solid

PMoBHVO.jpeg

Also do this depend on Orbx, can this dirt be cleaned?

GTdM15h.jpeg

So far those are the things that I have noticed

Cheers

Carlos

I have noticed large areas of south east London (Woolwich, Plumstead, Thamesmead, Abbey Wood, etc) are flattened by the Orbx UK London Landmarks with no photogrammetry visible at all with the new WU. Removing the landmarks pack restores it all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just read the post pasted up here that is closed and Nick's final reply. Thanks

I'll remove all Orbx packages to see how "good" all looks, maybe they exceed the expectations.

I'll wait for Orbx news about this in time

Just one thing

Orbx: Let's make a mesh for Iceland

ASOBO: Let's make an Iceland update

Orbx: Let's make a mesh for New Zealand

ASOBO: Ler's make a New Zealand update

Orbx: Let's make a mesh for Alaska

ASOBO; Let's make a USA update

Orbx; Let's make a mesh, landmarks for Dublin and the UK

ASOKO: Let's tear down all that away!!

Man I hate that. Why can't Asobo agree something with Orbx and buy, use the products already created as it happened with Frankfurt or Australia, through an agreement or so? It can't be that tough...

Can you please announce a Norway mesh?? I'd love one 😎🤣

Cheers

Carlos

I certainly would not want the Landmarks packs to be "higher resolution PG". The great attribute of Landmarks packs is that they are 3D models, and can therefore be used by those of us who choose not to enable PG (for performance or other reasons). London in full autogen mode with the Orbx London Landmarks addon package installed looks excellent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I certainly would not want the Landmarks packs to be "higher resolution PG". The great attribute of Landmarks packs is that they are 3D models, and can therefore be used by those of us who choose not to enable PG (for performance or other reasons). London in full autogen mode with the Orbx London Landmarks addon package installed looks excellent.

I tested today without the London landmarks and it doesn't feel the same indeed. It is a lot better with the landmarks. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, carlosqr said:

So far those are the things that I have noticed

Hi Carlos.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and report on it.

As you'll understand looking at the WU17 impacts on our products is a huge task!

Not sure what will get fixed - personally I'd be happy with removing duplicate POI's and sorting out the more obvious issues with new PG areas (like the Clyde in Glasgow).

What gets me, however, is the fact that what you have noticed are by and large things with the default Asobo POI's.

No criticism of you at all intended - just wonder what their beta testers are up to :rolleyes:

The building you mentioned is One Blackfriars - a default POI which I would have definitely reported if it was one of ours :lol:

OneBlackfriarsLandmarks.thumb.jpg.94b08796b01142c1fca78b464c3dbad6.jpg 

As for the bridges - this again is ASOBO default after WU17.

BatterseaRailwayBridge.thumb.jpg.e214fc84edf4db65d9326f756eb240d2.jpg

Some of the new imagery is taken from a rather oblique angle leading to issues with even their own POI's.

Here's Blackpool Tower with a clear image on the ground. It's a default POI -  some of ours are suffering the same fate.

Blackpool.thumb.jpg.c64dee62e8ff3be3aaf11aeb359453dd.jpg

Be assured we are looking at it but don't expect miracles!

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Burgess said:

All the best,

John

Hi John

Thank you so much so all these details, it is very interesting indeed

I'll wait for what Orbx can do on their side to improve this update then. 😉

Best regards,

Carlos

All,

For what’s it’s worth, I don’t use PG and took a look at London default. It’s ok but in my opinion not great, especially around the Thames and HMS Belfast. Put back Orbx London and got a real visual improvement. Just my experience. 
John.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2024 at 7:37 PM, John Burgess said:

Hi Carlos.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and report on it.

As you'll understand looking at the WU17 impacts on our products is a huge task!

Not sure what will get fixed - personally I'd be happy with removing duplicate POI's and sorting out the more obvious issues with new PG areas (like the Clyde in Glasgow).

What gets me, however, is the fact that what you have noticed are by and large things with the default Asobo POI's.

No criticism of you at all intended - just wonder what their beta testers are up to :rolleyes:

The building you mentioned is One Blackfriars - a default POI which I would have definitely reported if it was one of ours :lol:

OneBlackfriarsLandmarks.thumb.jpg.94b08796b01142c1fca78b464c3dbad6.jpg 

As for the bridges - this again is ASOBO default after WU17.

BatterseaRailwayBridge.thumb.jpg.e214fc84edf4db65d9326f756eb240d2.jpg

Some of the new imagery is taken from a rather oblique angle leading to issues with even their own POI's.

Here's Blackpool Tower with a clear image on the ground. It's a default POI -  some of ours are suffering the same fate.

Blackpool.thumb.jpg.c64dee62e8ff3be3aaf11aeb359453dd.jpg

All the best,

John

I appreciate that it may take a little while to investigate GB North, Central & South and the London & Dublin City Packs, but I would assume the creators to know whether the higher detail mesh in update XVII is better or the same as the Orbx British Isles Mesh product, and therefore whether we should now uninstall the Orbx mesh?

To be honest I'm not sure if there are now areas of the UK where the default mesh is now more detailed than the Orbx version.

I visited a couple of the spots in the Scottish Highlands where I know the Orbx version was definitely better than the default pre WU17 and it still is so I'm still using the Orbx version.

All the best,

John

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit, with MSFS 2024 only a couple of months away I'm not really bothered about updates for MSFS 2020.

My question is, does Orbx plan to properly update all of their airport and sceneries (especially GB South, Central and North) in line with MSFS 2024? With We Love VFR and Gaist ships becoming part of the default sim, on top of the latest world update, and partners like Seafront Simulations providing ship coverage of the whole south of England there are so many clashes currently that I've stopped flying. This isn't a knock on Orbx, just that I much more interested in the new sim and so not really flying now, I want to save my explorations for the next gen sim.

Anyway, will we hopefully see a reworking of these add ons towards the end of the year to remove not only all POI duplicates that clash with Asobo and partner providers, but also all of the masts, radomes and chimneys etc that already clash with We Love VFR, but will be much more pertinent now they will be in the default sim and affect everybody?

Hello,
Orbx and Orbx Partner developers will do their best to make everything

that can be, compatible with the next version of Microsoft Flight Simulator.
You should be aware that, if the present Microsoft policy of revealing
changes to external developers at the same time as they are released to
the customers continues, updates will not be immediate.

• Like 2

Hey Nick, yes I can imagine that must be really frustrating. You'd think that, since Orbx have three regional scenery packs for the UK along with the London add on that Asobo/Microsoft would have worked with Orbx during their last UK World Update to make sure that they complemented each other. It would be great if they could buy the packs from Orbx for the default sim and standardise them into the sim for everyone to enjoy.

Edited by Kjaye

4 hours ago, Kjaye said:

Hey Nick, yes I can imagine that must be really frustrating. You'd think that, since Orbx have three regional scenery packs for the UK along with the London add on that Asobo/Microsoft would have worked with Orbx during their last UK World Update to make sure that they complemented each other. It would be great if they could buy the packs from Orbx for the default sim and standardise them into the sim for everyone to enjoy.

As much as we can all dream here at Orbx the fact is that MSFS has sold 1.4 million copies (according to a Google search), and Orbx sales, although healthy enough, do not represent more than a small percentage of that total. We have to accept that Asobo/Microsoft gave us the Community folder function for which we are eternally grateful, but they have no interest or benefit in devoting resources to cater for anything that appears there.