Orbx Compatibilty with MSFS 2020 World Update 17

With next weeks update now announced, may I ask if there will be any implications should one already have Orbx British Isles Mesh, Great Britain North/Central/South, Dublin & London City Packs installed?

I ask this because World UIpdate 17 contains enhanced elevation data for the British Isles.

The update introduces or enhances photogrammetry for 13 major cities across the region:

1. London (completely rebuilt with expanded coverage including Heathrow)
  2. Dublin
  3. Cork
  4. Edinburgh
  5. Glasgow
  6. Cardiff
  7. Bristol
  8. Leeds
  9. Bradford
  10. Sunderland
  11. Liverpool
  12. Newcastle
  13. Brighton

There are dozens of new points of interest that have been added across the region, including:

• Various bridges
  • Palaces and castles
  • Lighthouses and other technical facilities
  • The famous Cliffs of Moher in Ireland

Coverage extends beyond just Great Britain and Ireland, with POIs also added for Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man

Source of collated information - Vasco Ferreira

https://msfsaddons.com/2024/07/18/microsoft-flight-simulator-announces-world-update-17-uk-and-ireland/

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing for certain - this simmer will not be buying any more scenery - or aircraft -between now 

and Nov. - and to make sure that any further updates before then will not interfere with the current 

3rd party addons - I have removed all the community bits and pieces from 2020 - and will only use

what I may need for my limited flights.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

One thing for certain - this simmer will not be buying any more scenery - or aircraft -between now 

and Nov. - and to make sure that any further updates before then will not interfere with the current 

3rd party addons - I have removed all the community bits and pieces from 2020 - and will only use

Sounds like a wise decision John, I think I'll go down the same path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 1:02 PM, John Heaton said:

I have to agree there John, I will be buying the 777 but as for scenery, no....it's difficult to keep track of what's been updated and what has not but that may be my brain...

just a quick question, what's the best way to put Sim to default and then just add what I actually use? I guess just go through uninstall / reinstall....

4 minutes ago, wain71 said:

just a quick question, what's the best way to put Sim to default and then just add what I actually use? I guess just go through uninstall / reinstall....

Rename the Community folder to CommunityX and restart MSFS.
The you will only have the default simulator and whatever you might have bought from the Marketplace.

The Marketplace products are not so easy, you will need to "delete" them, using the in-game Content Manager.

The Addons Linker is the perfect way to add back addons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Just what Nick said - but in my case - the addon linker he mentions is way ahead of my old brain and I find it complicated

I have a separate community in aircraft and scenery categories and just slide them across into the sim when I need them

Since I only have aircraft from Marketplace - I don't worry about deleting them - none are too complicated to worry about changes

• Thanks 1

Just adding my voice to the request. I hope you can sort out the potential confilicts.  I know the Great Britain Central, North and South series will probably have multiple clashes now, I've seen screenshots of the new world update's excellent models of the Laxey Wheel and Peel castle on the Isle of Man for example which will clash with Great Britain North. As the update is available free to all MSFS simmers I assume it's just a case of finding duplicates and you removing the Orbx ones from these packages?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kjaye said:

Just adding my voice to the request. I hope you can sort out the potential confilicts.  I know the Great Britain Central, North and South series will probably have multiple clashes now, I've seen screenshots of the new world update's excellent models of the Laxey Wheel and Peel castle on the Isle of Man for example which will clash with Great Britain North. As the update is available free to all MSFS simmers just a case of finding duplicates anI assume it's d you removing the Orbx ones from these packages?

I'm sure that I've read this problem before - when Orbx brought out the new UK region series - ie a clash of sceneries

The answer at that time - I think - was just what I think you said above - seek out the relevant scenery you find objectional and remove it from

the North file

Although - just checking the 2 items you mentioned which are in the Orbx North files - I would need someone more knowledgeable than myself

to advise just how and what to remove from the file - NICK maybe;)

From what I read - most of the changes in MS are in Ireland  anyway

But - then again - just remove the Orbx file from the community and enjoy the new scenery whatever it is - and its only 

for another 4 months - and my thought is - its probably been done by Orbx for MS anyway

Edited by John Heaton

7 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I'm sure that I've read this problem before - when Orbx brought out the new UK region series - ie a clash of sceneries

The answer at that time - I think - was just what I think you said above - seek out the relevant scenery you find objectional and remove it from

the North file

Although - just checking the 2 items you mentioned which are in the Orbx North files - I would need someone more knowledgeable than myself

to advise just how and what to remove from the file - NICK maybe;)

From what I read - most of the changes in MS are in Ireland  anyway

But - then again - just remove the Orbx file from the community and enjoy the new scenery whatever it is - and its only 

for another 4 months - and my thought is - its probably been done by Orbx for MS anyway

Unfortunately, Orbx don't divide their GB scenery packs into scenery files so it's not possible to selectively remove individual POIs or groups of POIs like masts or radomes etc. The Orbx packs are a mixed bad in all honesty, they each have a couple dozen of excellent models, and the rest I'd rather I could just remove as they are done better elsewhere and Orbx's models just clash with them. My real hope is that MSFS 2024 allows for more configuration so we can remove duplicates. It wasn't Orbx who has modelled the new POIs either, it was Gaya I believe.

47 minutes ago, Doc_Z said:

Should the London and Dublin city packs be removed?

Yes, if you prefer.
If there are conflicts and early reports suggest that there are, fixes will not be possible
in the blink of an eye.
To do the job properly, first all the POIs must be checked and then corrections made as necessary.

Despite the apparent expectation that this can be done before the world update has even been released,
it cannot, as the world update content appears to Orbx at the same time as it does to customers.

This is the definitive answer to all of the "is it nearly ready now" questions, but customers may be assured that,
as has been the case in all of the previous world updates, when there are conflicts, they will be fixed.

• Like 4