This Week's Meaningless Topic (#198)(June 19)

Hi all. Orbx airports are works of art. You could spend hours wandering the grounds, exploring the interiors, and flirting with the female avatars. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which Orbx airports do you like best, and how deeply do you explore them?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

There are so.many, it's hard to nail down a few favorites.  To start I'd have to say Catalina (KAVX) and Sedona (KSEZ).  Back in FSX days I explored these two with Orbx's "Bob."  At Catalina I wandered from the ramp into the courtyard with the big diorama of the island, then back to the picnic tables, and down the trail a bit towards Avalon.  Beautiful scenery!  I did something of the same at Sedona.  Since changing to P3Dv5 I have tried the built in avatar, but have not had any luck actually using it.

Although I didn't spend as much time at it I've explored in similar fashion a few others: Palm Springs (KPSP), Block Island (KBID) and Bar Harbor (KBHB), and the resurrected Miegs.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I like them all but I can't say I wander around them.

Except for when I'm looking for my plane.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

Gumby, you'll just have to put a big plastic daisy on the antenna.

Ken

• Haha 5

I'm not one for the big airports, but I really enjoy the municipals and smaller strips. My favorite municipals are Felts Field in Spokane, the Tacoma Narrows in Tacoma, and Troutdale in Portland. As for strips, the PGN and Idaho strips can't be beat. All of these Orbx locations are beautifully done and good to explore. Except for that damned deer that keeps watching me crash on the Idaho Firewatch sites. 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I'm not one for the big airports, but I really enjoy the municipals and smaller strips. My favorite municipals are Felts Field in Spokane, the Tacoma Narrows in Tacoma, and Troutdale in Portland. As for strips, the PGN and Idaho strips can't be beat. All of these Orbx locations are beautifully done and good to explore. Except for that damned deer that keeps watching me crash on the Idaho Firewatch sites. 

To say nothing about the impressive buck that runs across the runway just as I'm on short final at 11S Sekiu!  I too love Felts Field.  And I've already had my say about Pearson's (KVUO).  About the only large airport I regularly fly into is Sky Harbor (KPHX).  I love some of the middle size (Class C) like Santa Barbara, Palm Springs and Monterey.  But yes, the little ones are best.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't really have a favourite, over the last few years life has been to hectic and I have had limited time to fly so when I have I just got in the plane and flew, however due to a few real world life happenings I have vowed to slow things down a little and I have actually been looking around and only flying when I really do have time...I have really started to appreciate the hard work that has gone in to these airports / airfield....looking forward to what will hopefully been an even greater experience when we get 2024 later this year...I am not really one for internals but rather like the things that make an airport look alive, like clutter in small hangars or areas out of the way of the main terminal / building that have had a lot of effort on...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Among others vying for the top spot 2WA1 Diamond Pt is my  favorite.  KORS is next.  I still remember seeing the Orca after taking off.  Doesn't hurt that I've bee to both airports IRL several times.  Which reminds me, I have some RL shots of an Orbx airport to post!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I like the detail on some of the mid size airports such as Monterey, Avalon, and Felts but don't really care about the interiors, although it is nice to see something through the windows when parked at a gate. At the larger airports sometimes the interior eye candy slows the sim so I would rather not have too much of it.

Larry

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

I like PAYA.  Not just the "Booze" sign :P:unsure::D, but you can jump in a car and drive around the Village. Cheers k:),

And with the Juice Goose you can romp around the hills too, and there's a beer cup holder.  ;)

• Haha 3

Although I'm now MSFS exclusive Orbx did do my favourite airport for P3D and that is Milford Sound. It's not so much the strip itself but the surrounding scenery. The approaches to the strip, the departures out, the weather, all make an awesome experience. Now I'm on MSFS it's my most visited airport.

Cheers 

Graeme :)

• Like 3