Whatever floats your boat I Guess

Adam, I'm surprised the ultralite guy didn't take oxygen with him. Going that high for that long without it is a recipe for disaster. Plus frostbite on all the exposed flesh. Gotta wonder about his planning. As for Baumgartner's feat, I remember us all being very excited about that, almost like when the first astronauts landed on the moon -- would he make it?! And as for flying the tunnel -- Yowsa!

• Like 1

A fit person who has acclimatised at a mid altitude has no problem at 17,000' for several hours without a problem.  There can be a slight loss of cognitive ability that isn't severe enough to affect the control of something like a paraglider. The 10'000' limit set by authorities is to cater for the lowest common denominator. I have spent half a day wandering around at 16,900', it was cold but not frostbite cold, and it felt better when I deliberately breathed deeply every few minutes, but there were no ill effects. And as I recall I had only had 24 hours at 5,000' to acclimatise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John Dow said:

A fit person who has acclimatised at a mid altitude has no problem at 17,000' for several hours without a problem.  There can be a slight loss of cognitive ability that isn't severe enough to affect the control of something like a paraglider. The 10'000' limit set by authorities is to cater for the lowest common denominator. I have spent half a day wandering around at 16,900', it was cold but not frostbite cold, and it felt better when I deliberately breathed deeply every few minutes, but there were no ill effects. And as I recall I had only had 24 hours at 5,000' to acclimatise. 

Thanks for the corrective, John. I guess I illustrated Twain's adage: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

• Like 2

The highest I have been is about 14000 but we stopped for an hour at 9000 to acclimate. Definitely some loss of cognition but most people were ok. They had oxygen on the van for any who needed it but only one person used it I think. It was at the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii where people work at the observatories for multiple days.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I climbed Mt Whitney in S Calif twice, 14,585',  don't remember being out of breath but we did play some football at 11,500' the day before at our camp.  (yes, I was only 17!  lol  )

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I remember when I was posted to Kenya for 3 months we went up Mount Kenya, we literally got to the top, made a cup of coffee, enjoyed the view and came back down again...water boiled at a lower temp but other than that it was very chilly...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I remember when I was posted to Kenya for 3 months we went up Mount Kenya, we literally got to the top, made a cup of coffee, enjoyed the view and came back down again...water boiled at a lower temp but other than that it was very chilly...

Point Lenana?  We were there Christmas Day 1975

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

Point Lenana?  We were there Christmas Day 1975

not sure but down to my left I could see a large blue lake, fantastic place to visit...

• Like 2