Extreme weather experiences

Rodger commented on their temperature the other day being -12deg C! Got me thinking about my experiences weather-wise. I have only ever experienced what I would call extreme cold and that was only for a few days in Roveniemi Finland in December, -20deg. My beer turned into a slushy!

Locally we experience very humid summer days but that's the norm this time of year. We've been on the edge of cyclones but never had damage. The only extreme weather event thus far were the floods of February 2021 that basically closed down our region.

What have been your extreme weather experiences?

• Like 5

We just went thru a stretch of very cold weather , -25F with over a foot of snow on the ground . However are summers are usually very dry and smoky with highs topping out over 100F several times thru the summer . I am a weather geek and use to Storm Chase every year in our Tornado alley stretching from Texas to the Dakota's .

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Extreme for me was last Summer in the mediterranean area: 35-39°C and more than 90% RH. I have been in the tropics and India, and experienced the same, but here we were talking about Europe...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I wish  we had some of this  cold weather our way,  I am melting under the the rescent temp and humidity.  But then, Mark Twain said "Everybody talks about the weather and  nobody does anything about it"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Where I live, on Long Island, on the east coast of the US ( approx 41 degrees north), surrounded by the sea, we only occasionally get extremes of temperature. Temperatures in the single digits or over 100 Fahrenheit are very rare.  This past week temps were in the mid teens, the lowest of the season.  Being in a maritime climate we tend to get quite a bit of precipitation, especially in the winter, but a significant snowfall has become somewhat rare with global warming.  Last really big one was Christmas, 2010.  I don't mind snow or rain.  What I really HATE is "wintery mix."  That gets to be so dangerous.

Our greatest meteorological threat is a tropical weather system in the fall.  By the time they get to us they are weakened by cooler sea temperatures, but they can be devastating.  The last bad ones were Irene in 2010, and Sandy the following year.  We lost trees in the area, but the worst was no electricity for almost two weeks.  After Sandy (end of October) it got cold, too, and we had no heat, either.  Next year I had a fireplace insert installed (a woodstove that fits in the fireplace and uses the chimney, but throws a lot more heat into the room. Incidentally, using it regularly has reduced our fuel oil bills significantly).

Stay warm, or cool, and safe!

Ken

• Like 3

here we get wet and warm, wet and windy or wet and cold, yeah it's quite often wet....noticed this season, since September we have had more Named storms, just 2 more by August and we've beaten the record...

I lived in Berlin in the mid 80's and the winters were freezing, I remember minus 20 and so much snow...

I also spent 3 months in Kenya, we were there in the rainy season, though it was hot, I have never seen rain so hard in all my life.....I went to sleep in a gully and got awaken by the rain to find I was in a stream and the vehicles were now on the other side of a raging river, the force of the downpours were incredible....

Currently there seems to be wild weather somewhere all year, we're expecting another storm tomorrow.......keeps your heads down where ever you may be...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1