No-one talking aboutFSR3 Frame generation for all RTX cards? MSFS

Jon Clarke

Merry Xmas to all😀

Surprised the topic of the FSR3 Frame Generation has not even been mentioned here yet.

I have it installed in MSFS and my fps reads 80-110 everywhere, and that is on all Ultra (with exception of a couple of options I don't particularly like like Bloom and lens flare. those are set to Off.) I usually run with a Custom graphics setting, a mix of High end and ultra depending on the level of detail of the scenery/airport would be getting 35-45 generally. on the ground with full traffic, maybe varying between 25-35 depending on view.

Now, everything at plus 80.

I get those framerates with both FS Traffic running on it's own and also with FSLT injector and FSLT models, and FSLT using FS Traffic models as a priority.

It's not a matter of just a fps count competition but it is accompanied by ultra smooth, no stutter etc, flight.

It is the nearest thing to the "silver bullet" I have seen to date. You must have a RTX GPU

You must use DX12 beta in the sim.

You must use the full loading method via the MSFS app and not any "shortcut" starter like MFS Fast Launch or similar.

For FPS monitoring do not use the Developers in built FPS counter but something like afterburner/Riva Tuner.

I strongly recommend Googling it.

Take care all

• Like 6

Thanks for the info John

and for the video Brad

Watched a couple more videos and decided to give it a try on my laptop. I have an RTX 2070s.

After following instructions I turned all settings to ultra just to see what I could get away with. Visually a noticeable improvement.

Started to get stutters around Sydney Harbour but (I'm on Ultra!) at least the buildings weren't melting and the trees, textures looked great.

I'm sure a bit of tweaking will resolve the stutters but atm very happy with 1st results.

Merry Xmas to all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

this is what needs to be done:

1 Make a small download and unzip the folder

2 Copy and paste two files and open a registry file.

3 that's it.

To undo

1 delete two files

2 open another registry file.

3 that's it

It works for me, RTSS thinks that the frame rate is doubled
and that's what it says on the tin.

• Like 3

Doesn't work for me, I try to copy the files to the folder where the FlightSimulator.exe is and it won't allow me.  the message is that I don't have any room in the folder, which I'd say is their way of saying access to put anything in the folder is denied.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Doesn't work for me, I try to copy the files to the folder where the FlightSimulator.exe is and it won't allow me.  the message is that I don't have any room in the folder, which I'd say is their way of saying access to put anything in the folder is denied.

Hi John

That sounds a strange problem you have.

To make sure you are placing the files in the right folder I suggest you run the sim. While it is running go to Task manager and right click on the sim and choose Open File Location. That way you definitely have the correct folder. I suggest this, because I too had tried the mod with no effect. There can be a couple of places that show the FlightSim.exe, for example I have one in Windows Apps. By doing what I suggest above, I discovered that the actual legit and required file was in XBox Games.

So, first run the DisableNvidiaSignatureChecks.

You get the notification that it has changed the Reg.

Then, ensuring you now have the correct folder containing the FlightSim.exe. drop the dlssg to fsr amd is better and the nvngx.dll files into the folder.

Please note that you must not use the Developer option, especially the fps counter. Use another fps counter so you can see the fps reading change when you turn on and off the Frame Generation option in MSFS settings

Don't give up as it is really the best mod i have encountered for a sim , ever

• Upvote 1

I used the GPU-Z program to find the correct location. I did however forget to enable the "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" in Windows and saw no improvement. Once I rewatch the particular YouTube tutorial I had originally watched I realised my error. Once enabled, bingo!

30 minutes ago, boetie said:

I used the GPU-Z program to find the correct location. I did however forget to enable the "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" in Windows and saw no improvement. Once I rewatch the particular YouTube tutorial I had originally watched I realised my error. Once enabled, bingo!

I don't see any option in GPU-Z to find a program location!

Also when I right click on the MSFS entry in Task Manager and select show file location it doesn't open anything, the command does nothing.

And I know I've got the right location because when I click on FlightSimulator.exe in that location I found, MSFS starts.

Very frustrating

Hello John, some time ago, but I can't remember which developer asked for it to be done, 
the MSFS installation was changed and inside the MSFS root folder, another folder was created with 
the exe file in it.
Mine is installed onto my G drive, in a folder that for clarity, I named "Microsoft Flight Simulator" and there is this folder:

11.jpg

You can see the two added files inside it. 

40 minutes ago, John Dow said:

No I don't have the second folder.  Might be time to delete my current MSFS install and install again from the Game Store?

I was thinking of suggesting that, but I don't want the feedback if it doesn't go well. 😁

As far as I am aware, reinstalling just the game does not delete any of the content.

If you are asked if you want to do that, the answer must be no.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

I was thinking of suggesting that, but I don't want the feedback if it doesn't go well. 😁

As far as I am aware, reinstalling just the game does not delete any of the content.

If you are asked if you want to do that, the answer must be no.

It'll be to a different SSD so some work might be involved, but all the MSFS user settings remain the same yes.

I'm wondering if this frame rate generation thing is all it is being touted as.  It might be just a clever routine that simply duplicates existing generated frames and doesn't add any actual content.  It would seem a bit too much of a miracle to me to be able to overturn the hurdles that have faced tweakers and developers since the birth of FS.

I think I'll wait for some evidence of how this miraculous increase in performance is actually engineered before I spend too much time trying to install it.

Gave this a quick try tonight after reading this thread and had some strange results.  It did seem to increase FPS on the monitor, but VR FPS was unchanged, and there was more stuttering.  On the monitor, FPS did seem to increase, but I got some strange graphical artifacts.  I had some doubling of images on the bottom 50mm of my screen, flickering on and off, but when I enabled Developer mode, that stopped.  Also, strangely, the Steam FPS counter I had running was showing almost exactly double the inbuilt MSFS FPS counter.  When I switched to VR the FPS was the same on both counters.  I noticed my VRAM was almost maxed out and then maxed out, so that may have been cause for the stuttering and the artifacts.  I am still using a 2080Ti.  I'm also not sure which other settings I should be using.  I had the Frame rate Generation enabled, but noticed I only had FSR2, not FSR3, as an option in the AA settings, and that caused bad blurring.  Not sure if this is meant to be used in conjunction with the DLSS/DSR combination, which doesn't really work for me in VR because it makes the displays less clear.  Doesn't seem to be working for me unfortunately.  With TAA my visuals were good but frames were bad.  With the mod I basically had the same frames in VR or worse (20 at KMIA) and much worse stuttering and some graphical artifacts.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

No I don't have the second folder.  Might be time to delete my current MSFS install and install again from the Game Store?

If you downloaded MSFS from the Windows Store it'll be located in the folder XboxGames on the drive you installed it on.  I have a custom install on my D drive where my content goes, but Microsoft still like to create the XboxGames folder with stuff in it 🤣

explorer_ElpZiltKfB.thumb.png.28f37fae30e45e9687a584733f1203b2.png

Edited by Brunlea
Add stuff about custom location

Think I'll give it a miss. I can't think of anything that could improve the frame rates in VR, which I have running quite well, and I get 40 fps or more in 2D, and that's all I need. If one day I become a pigeon and can see the difference between 40 and 80 fps without the frame counter, I will return to the forums to see if it's worth putting in the effort. 

Since around the days of FS98 I have seen magical tweaks and programs come and go and I can't think of a single one that didn't produce at least some form of unintended problem, whether it was stuttering, screen tearing or something else. Time after time, the only stable option has been to use the sim as designed by the developer in conjunction with the CPU and GPU manufacturers. 

• Upvote 1

Can anyone shed light on this?

I have a 3080ti and with everything maxed out I got stutters when flying low and slow through Sydney city.(I have the add ons) Once I hit the harbour it is fine.

I then downloaded the new files and there is a definite improvement when flying over Sydney. No stutters with everything maxed.

I then flew to Canberra (I have the add on also) and got unplayable stutters when flying over the city. Why would this be?

On 12/27/2023 at 9:45 AM, boetie said:

VERY happy with it! All settings on Ultra and woohoo!

Uu4URgg.jpg

Cheers

Graeme :)

Hi Graeme

Do you have the Canberra city add on? If so can you run a test and see if you get poor framerates when flying over the city? I am but Sydney is fine for me

5 hours ago, shane2801 said:

Hi Graeme

Do you have the Canberra city add on? If so can you run a test and see if you get poor framerates when flying over the city? I am but Sydney is fine for me

Sorry Shane, I don't have the Canberra City add on.

• Like 1

There are certain refinements in MSFS settings that may be required in order to alleviate things like stutters and tearing etc.

The mod works only in DX12 beta and that in itself means more vram is used.

First off make sure that Vertsync is OFF in the sim but ON in the Nvidia Control Panel

Then I suggest that the Terrain Level Of Detail is used to test different settings and results regarding tearing or stutters.

I always had it at 200 but now I have trimmed it down and see no discernible difference visually, and have no tearing or stutters.

The results of this mod in action is available on many, many vids on Youtube for example.

As to what this mod actually introduces, whether it is adding frames between frames or what ever, does not really interest me. 

I just look at the results regarding fluidity of flight.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I'm not aware of any Canberra city add on for MSFS. Canberra Airport from Impulse Simulations yes, but as far as I know there's no city scenery for Canberra. 

Sorry John. You're right. I used to have P3d. For some reason I thought I had the add on for MSFS. I definitely have the airport. 

Have done a few flights now and I am thrilled. My graphics are amazing (not perfect) with scenery that is miles away, ie city skylines, visible when prior to the mod they weren't. Everything looks a lot more crisp as well. As John C said, and I agree, it's the silver bullet IMHO.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 1

2nd opinion.

1. msfs is running just fine on my setup.

2. monitor is set at 30hz.

3. taa is on and so is vsync

It is smooth

I decided I would give the frame gen a try anyway:

1. it works.

2. gets me fps from 90 to 145

BUT

1. panning in the cockpit will produce jaggies even though vsync is on in the C.panel.

2. panning iin outside view will also produce hesitations.

3. V. sync does not seem to work too well.

4. you will get CTD<s if you modified your settings with a performance monitor (I use nvidia)

My conclusion:

For me MSFS in DX11 with TAA and monitor/30hz and vsync on is better than the extra fps. Smoothness is the word here.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers and a Happy New Year to all

Thanks Nick 

While we are on this topic something that I thought about is worth noting., the mod interpolates frames before and after and then inserts another frame in between and it requires a hell of a lot of processing power to do that and if the frames are relatively steady there's no real load on the system but as soon as you start panning or moving around so that it has extra work to do this is when you get the tearing in the breakups and since I look around a lot I doubt that it's going to be good for me

• Upvote 1

After following the advice above I managed to get this mod installed and I flew around my local area and also over Manhattan.  All sliders set to Ultra except the ones I have Off such as Bloom and Motion Blur.  Performance was smooth right across the board but there was a degree of stuttering when panning or turning around especially over Manhattan.

So I then restarted the sim and tried a flight in VR.  Performance was dreadful, with black frames edging in as I looked around and hald my usual frame rates, and a strange look to the scenery which I guess was the mod trying to interpolate the VCR frames but not succeeding.

Now for the interesting bit.  I uninstalled the mod and returned the registry to its previous state and restarted the sim.  Guess what?  Just as smooth and just as much detail as when the mod was active, with all the settings to Ultra, and in full 4K resolution..  And no stuttering.  The frame rates over Central Park might have been lower as dense trees always slow down my performance, and perhaps the mod helped to add some real frames to that scene.  But overal,l with no frame counter to affect my perception of what I was seeing, I say there was little to no difference in performance between the two options.

And with the mod disabled I have my VR performance back.

Just proves once again that often the placebo effect is probably live and well and as with soooo many magic tweaks in the past, after some critical investigation, this mod really does very little except make the user believe the perfomance is much better.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1