My home airport....

paulb

......is EGFF Cardiff, Wales :).

I often flying low and slow simply to enjoy the scenery. So (for my own benefit), I decided to compare the three sims that I use.

All are clear skies in summer flying a DA42 or 62. I have my sliders to the right in all sims.

Below are three approach shots for each simulator.

Hope that you find them of interest.

P3Dv4 with Orbx EU Wales

1413747647_P3Da.thumb.jpg.21114ad230bf3c1a7efadf939e3e6130.jpg

1139029952_P3Db.thumb.jpg.e12fdf1cfcd37fb16944b7e8837a372f.jpg

1227395982_P3Dc.thumb.jpg.5dc5889f5d9ca967395eee816e684679.jpg

X Plane 11 with Orbx EGFF Cardiff and TE GB South

2112381625_XP11a.thumb.jpg.29cb887484d6090a8cf99eb3559e51a4.jpg

220590257_XP11b.thumb.jpg.5a1b85ea70856234b73a1657d1a5befd.jpg

977187244_XP11c.thumb.jpg.cb568a6be21e1bddce4eec508f21a3de.jpg

MSFS with a third party airport. Still waiting for Orbx Landmarks GB South ;)

1219213948_MSFSa.thumb.jpg.532eb13972fc3a14b4ca64c72518f07b.jpg

140390270_MSFSb.thumb.jpg.41ef45378df8ddcc007c697442066f2b.jpg

1889583905_MSFSc.thumb.jpg.d97afd8c69ea89b9d186f0f5b937ff17.jpg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Caluma65 said:

Very interesting set of comparison shots Paul.  All three looking superb imo.  Cheers,

Calum

Thank you Calum :). It took me longer than I expected to do the comparison! 

The thing that I notice most is the absence of landmarks in MSFS.

For example, in the other two sims one can see landmarks such as the Porthkerry Bridge and the Aberthaw Power Station. 

I guess one notices it more in places that one is familiar with.  Hopefully Orbx will soon fill the void.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, paulb said:

For example, in the other two sims one can see landmarks such as the Porthkerry Bridge and the Aberthaw Power Station. 

I guess one notices it more in places that one is familiar with.  Hopefully Orbx will soon fill the void.

It was the bridge that stood out to me too.  It's a shame that there aren't more landmarks available.

Hopefully it's something that will come in time - along with wider coverage photgrammetry.  Cheers,

Calum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wain71 said:

nice comparison there Paul, I was always disappointed with what looks like a waterfall on the approach, better modelled in the other sims I thought...

Thanks Wayne :). Glad that you found it of interest.

• Like 2

Interesting comparison Paul.  Good idea.  I’m glad you have landmarks in your sim for your area.  Mine?  Fuggetaboutit.  The data from all three goes back to the Stone Age.  Someone here was doing my area in P3D but stopped which really hurt.  Won’t mention any names but it was a huge blow to me.  

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Interesting comparison Paul.  Good idea.  I’m glad you have landmarks in your sim for your area.  Mine?  Fuggetaboutit.  The data from all three goes back to the Stone Age.  Someone here was doing my area in P3D but stopped which really hurt.  Won’t mention any names but it was a huge blow to me.  

Thanks Jack :). Sorry to hear that your home area is poorly represented in the sims. Doesn't the Bing imagery in MSFS at least make it look a bit better?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andiflyit said:

Yes Paul, very interesting.:)  Overall it shows that all the 3 sims have good scenery and graphics.

But the cliff on the left side and the bridge look best in Xplane so the winner is of course Xplane!! :):)

Thanks Andreas :). Well, I think that X Plane 11 offers the best UK scenery at the moment thanks to Orbx True Earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic comparison Paul, from an area you are quite familiar with. Very interesting!

Thank you kindly Gerold :). These small details often make a difference when you know an area well.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, paulb said:

Thanks Jack :). Sorry to hear that your home area is poorly represented in the sims. Doesn't the Bing imagery in MSFS at least make it look a bit better?  

Nope, it looks like a rubbish dump.  It's sad they can have such good imagery in other places.  The sat view of where I live looks like it was taken 60+ years ago with Sputnik.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, paulb said:

Thanks Andreas :). Well, I think that X Plane 11 offers the best UK scenery at the moment thanks to Orbx True Earth.

Very well done comparison images Paul. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Orbx also release True Earth scenery of Great Britain for P3D? I thought they did. It would be interesting to see the same comparison, albeit with P3D TE up against X-Plane TE to see how the two TE GB's compare ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nope, it looks like a rubbish dump.  It's sad they can have such good imagery in other places.  The sat view of where I live looks like it was taken 60+ years ago with Sputnik.

Oh dear :(. I know that some of the Bing imagery dates back many years. I wonder if they will ever update it in MSFS?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Very well done comparison images Paul. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Orbx also release True Earth scenery of Great Britain for P3D? I thought they did. It would be interesting to see the same comparison, albeit with P3D TE up against X-Plane TE to see how the two TE GB's compare ;) 

Thank you Landon :).

Indeed. they have released TE GB for P3D. I have all of their EU scenery (and most of the rest of the world regions) in P3Dv4. But they released TE GB for XP11 first. That caused me to purchase XP11. Having bought it once, I couldn't see any point in buying it for P3D.

So, the shots simply reflect what is on my pc ;)

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:27 PM, paulb said:

That caused me to purchase XP11. Having bought it once, I couldn't see any point in buying it for P3D.

I wish I had that will power, I have it for both but I don't even have p3d installed now....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I wish I had that will power, I have it for both but I don't even have p3d installed now....

Oh dear! That seems a pity. Never mind Wayne. There are worse things to spend your money on :).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I guess we all have scenery and planes that we don't use etc, on my shelf in the office I have disc versions of FSX, XP10 & Ground Environment Extreme, but I'll keep them and don't regret buying them...

Same here Wayne. I have a box full of old discs. But they gave me pleasure and memories :).

• Like 1