MSFS question

HI guys,

I've never been able to find (for me), a lot of things that go on with  MSFS. For instance, when you set up various settings in the preset manager, when you load the aircraft, does MSFS find and use that file for you to fly that aircraft? This being the case, does one need settings/files for every different aircraft?

Sorry but  MSFS is a very complex piece of software that I have at various times found difficult to understand and get the result I need. So far I've managed but with your help, otherwise I would be completely lost. Thanks for your understanding.

Don 

2 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

For instance, when you set up various settings in the preset manager, when you load the aircraft, does MSFS find and use that file for you to fly that aircraft? This being the case, does one need settings/files for every different aircraft?  

No, MSFS doesn't assign the proper control settings automatically when you load another plane. You can make control presets (plus proper sensitivity settings) for different aircraft and name them accordingly (Yoke-C172, Stick-R400, TCA-A320FBW...). However, MSFS always loads the previous settings upon launch and you have to reassign profiles if you want to switch them.

Automatic assignment according to the plane would make toatally sense, of course, and has been demanded several times on the official forum but hasn't been realised so far.

That said, I use a (properly powered) switchable hub for all my gear (Saitek Yoke, TMP, Pedals, TCA...) and only switch the proper devices on before launching MSFS.  This way only the active ones are found and assigned. 

There are tools for automatically assignment like SPAD.neXt, Axis and Ohs and I think I saw a free assignment tool at flightsim.to, too, but while I use SPAD.neXt for Panels assignments I assign controls from within the sim so far.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks  Michael. So having MSFS preset files for different aircraft is a waste of time. One last question, If after loading MSFS I open the preset settings for a particular aircraft, then load that aircraft, would MSFS then use those settings. Just trying to get my head around this. Thanks

Don

I regularly only fly a hand full of planes and reassign the control profiles every times. E.g. I have three profiles for my Thrustmaster Airbus Stick, named A320, Sting (the new UL), and H135 (helicopter). Every time I switch between the three I have to reassign the proper profile, and I don't think there is a way having the Sim detecting the proper profiles(s) automatically - yet.

See here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tired-of-changing-your-settings-again-and-again-aircraftspecific-profiles-with-settings-for-graphics-controller-and-cockpit-cameras/362300/14

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I regularly only fly a hand full of planes and reassign the control profiles every times. E.g. I have three profiles for my Thrustmaster Airbus Stick, named A320, Sting (the new UL), and H135 (helicopter). Every time I switch between the three I have to reassign the proper profile, and I don't think there is a way having the Sim detecting the proper profiles(s) automatically - yet.

See here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tired-of-changing-your-settings-again-and-again-aircraftspecific-profiles-with-settings-for-graphics-controller-and-cockpit-cameras/362300/14

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS doesn't but I think I read somewhere that the FSUIPC pay ware version allows the setting up of controller profiles as it used to in FSX and P3D. Like anything else unless ASOBO is deluged with requests in will not get off the back burner (if it actually is).

Edited by chumley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chumley said:

MSFS doesn't but I think I read somewhere that the FSUIPC pay ware version allows the setting up of controller profiles as it used to in FSX and P3D. Like anything else unless ASOBO is deluged with requests in will not get off the back burner (if it actually is).

Thanks Andy, I think this is a dead end, unless MS does something. It's, (to me), and others, so important, that I cant fathom why they haven't got this as standard.   

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Andy, I think this is a dead end, unless MS does something. It's, (to me), and others, so important, that I cant fathom why they haven't got this as standard.   

You and me both. Too busy on charm offensive to actually care what simmers want. They are looking after the mass market first and foremost in the Xbox platform.

50 minutes ago, chumley said:

You and me both. Too busy on charm offensive to actually care what simmers want. They are looking after the mass market first and foremost in the Xbox platform.

Come on, switching the profile when switching the plane is a matter of seconds.

I am actually glad Asobo/MS are not vasting their time and resources on this and put their focus on more important things.

46 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Come on, switching the profile when switching the plane is a matter of seconds.

I am actually glad Asobo/MS are not vasting their time and resources on this and put their focus on more important things.

The bottom line is you shouldn't have to.

• Like 1

For me, MSFS has been a game changer. Never did I fly (actually fly and not only tweak) so much as those days. I can live with having to switch profiles now and then for the visual - global - world it provides, notably for a GA/VFR flyer like me.

Nonetheless, automated profile switching would be nice to have. However, 50 votes isn't something making any pressure on MS/Asobo. Obviously, there are much more urgent issues with several hundreds of votes.

5 hours ago, chumley said:

MSFS doesn't but I think I read somewhere that the FSUIPC pay ware version allows the setting up of controller profiles as it used to in FSX and P3D. 

I don't have this one but I would guess it does the job indeed. Like SPAD.neXt and Axis and Ohs as I already mentioned. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

My 2c worth

Microsoft include in THEIR sim a number of default aircraft - and as far as I know  - the sim 

recognises the aircraft you choose - and all the actual controller(s) you have set up in Windows

The sim then offers you a DEFAULT set of bindings to the sim for the DEFAULT aircraft chosen

If you have chosen to change - even one setting - then that's your problem - not Microsoft's and 

they facilitate your ability to make your own bindings

Microsoft's responsibility  "finger bowl" - as to its responsibilities - is then used  - even more so

and if the aircraft you choose - is not a default - then why should Microsoft/Asobo spend time on your

self inficted problem ??

One cannot imagine the coding needed for it to immediately recognise the bindings on an infinite use of controller

Edited by John Heaton

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

The sim then offers you a DEFAULT set of bindings to the sim for the DEFAULT aircraft chosen

Unless I'm missing something, there is one set of "Default" bindings, period.  Each default aircraft does not get its own set of "default" bindings.

This is not a case of people complaining to Asobo about control bindings for third party aircraft.  It applies to their own default aircraft as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I fly the default A320 vs the default C172, I'd like to have different bindings for some of my limited number of controller buttons.

It isn't the end of the world to have to go the controller menu and individually select your saved bindings for each controller whenever you change aircraft.  It is just inconvenient.  Just like needing to reselect my favorite aircraft liveries and weight & balance/fuel load when I load a flight.  Not the end of the world, but it sure would be nice to be able to save your favorite configurations for each aircraft and have them load automatically.

DCS has had separate key binding automatically applied to different aircraft for over a decade.  Frankly, Asobo should have included this ability from the start IMHO.

• Like 1

FSUIPC 7 does all you need. Different aircraft, different bindings, different sensitivities, all automatic once set up. You just need to tick 'profile specific' when saving an aircraft you don't want to have default settings. Even the 747, requiring 4 throttles on my quadrant, is automatically set when I select it. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 2:53 AM, John Dow said:

FSUIPC 7 does all you need. Different aircraft, different bindings, different sensitivities, all automatic once set up. You just need to tick 'profile specific' when saving an aircraft you don't want to have default settings. Even the 747, requiring 4 throttles on my quadrant, is automatically set when I select it. 

I use FSUIPC 7 as well John and love it.  However I do have a question. Not sure if it's a MSFS issue or an issue on my end.  But if add a new "profile specific" setting for a new aircraft I lose all control settings and have to restart the game.  Does this happen to you as well, or am I doing something wrong??

Haven't run into this. A couple of recent flights I had some rudder issues. Which didn't seem to save, but in general it's pretty stable. I haven't created a profile in a while, I'll revisit this topic if I find anything has changed recently. 

• Like 1