Arnhem Land

Stillwater

This flight crosses a more remote region, and mostly indigenous protected areas. Arnhemland covers about 97,000 square kilometres (37,000 sq mi, about the size of Portugal or Indiana) and has an estimated population of 16,000. A substantial proportion of the population, which is mostly Aboriginal, lives on small outstations or homelands. These population groups have very little Western influence culturally speaking, and Arnhem Land is arguably one of the last areas in Australia that could be seen as a completely separate country.
We take off from Oenpelli, ...

C9GyEMi.jpg

... over the "city", ...

y2j3TLz.jpg

... and eastwards into the green lands.

U2QlL1N.jpg

Crossing Liverpool River (and better not swim there), ...

doPJxI2.jpg

... we fly over Maningrida.

XaYwLwX.jpg

That scenery looked so good, I had to make a stopover there.

swZbZNS.jpg

5UUMCyd.jpg

Classical OZx style.

JgPIbsN.jpg

Then I went on along the coast, to cross rivers and wetlands...

EHBWAR0.jpg

Finally we approach Gove, at the eastern end of Arnhemland. Which means at the coast of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

eLs5XMb.jpg

The peninsula became strategically important during World War II when a Royal Australian Air Force base was constructed at what is now Gove Airport. The land was involved in a famous court case known as the Gove land rights case, when local Yolngu people tried to claim native title over their traditional lands in 1971, after the Australian Government had granted a mineral lease to a bauxite mining company without consulting the local peoples. Today the land is owned by the Yolngu people. The Aluminium refinery was closed in 2014.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, adambar said:

Great set of shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

4 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice shots again Gerold!   

Thanks a lot, John.

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Nice flight Gerold and screen shots and narrative..

My pleasure, John. I could not resist to read in wikipedia about the region, quite interesting.

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Reminds me of Texas , and they would love to be a seperate country . :):D

The desire to become separated is reported from many areas, and with various reasons behind. It might work somewhere, it might be nonsense somewhere else...

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Does not look like my part of Texas, to green.

Indeed, the colour can not be the reason for John B.´s comment: I have not seen so much green anywhere in Texas (yet).

11 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great shots and an interesting part of the Australian history, Gerold. Thank you!

Reminds me of Bavaria...:)

Thank you Bernd. As said above, reading in wikipedia about the land was quite interesting.

10 hours ago, jean marc said:

Gerold Yol Ganymak Gakal :) (...for sure this is a nice compliment in Yolnu language 8))

Merci Jean Marc! Now I have to look for a translator German - Yolngu to find out the meaning of these words. But you have created so many great posts with background knowledge about indigenous people from many countries, I am convinced you know it!

https://www.cdu.edu.au/newsroom/Yolngu-dictionary

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1