Kodiak Island Bush Flying

D0S

Another day locked down with pandemic restrictions down here at the bottom of the worlds means another day that I can go exploring a far flung destination at the top of the world!

This time I took the C172 amphibian in MSFS from Akhiok (PAKH), at the southern end of Kodiak Island, Alaska to Kodiak Mun (PAKD) at the northern end of the island. Along the way, I dropped into Amook Bay Seaplane Base (AK81) to drop off some supplies and pick up a group of hunters. Sim time was set to 10.30am, mid September using the ‘Coastal Winds’ theme from SoFly Weather Preset Pro. The higher definition Orbx NA Alaska Mesh really makes all the difference here, with a snow depth of 2cm set to add to the atmospherics.

Screenshot-6936.png

Screenshot-6966.png

Screenshot-6950.png

Screenshot-6956.png

Screenshot-6960.png

Screenshot-6972.png

Screenshot-6973.png

Screenshot-6976.png

Screenshot-6980.png

Screenshot-6988.png

Screenshot-6992.png

Screenshot-6993.png

Screenshot-6999.png

Flight plan file attached to the post for anyone else wishing to recreate this adventure! (The .PLN file is saved in IFR format via LitteNavMap to get rid of the annoying TIMECLIMB and TIMEAPPROACH waypoints that the sim is currently forcing.)

IFR Akhiok (PAKH) to Kodiak Mun (PAKD).pln

• Like 5

Wow - Some of the best shots so far this year , well done Sir !! . 

BTW - What is with those annoying TimeClimb and TimeApproach pop ups ? . I don’t remember them from 

earlier this year ?? . 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BradB said:

Wow - Some of the best shots so far this year , well done Sir !! . 

BTW - What is with those annoying TimeClimb and TimeApproach pop ups ? . I don’t remember them from 

earlier this year ?? . 

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed seeing them! The TIMECLIMB and TIMEAPPROACH seem to appear if you import a VFR flight plan from a third party flight planning program (such as little nav map) post sim update 5, which I'm guessing is due to a behind the scenes coding change. The only fix I have found to date is to designate the flight plan as an IFR flight in LNM prior to exporting. I don't bother with in game ATC as it is too unrealistic in my opinion, but for those who still do, you can always terminate your IFR flight plan with ATC as soon as you launch and continue under VFR as well :)

• Upvote 1