Community confusion

Aussieflyer38

I'm trying to add a couple of Community folders, but keep getting the message "Your organisation does not allow you to place this file here." I tried to add the folder into the Packages folder, didn't work, and then the Community Folder that didn't work either. Someone help with this please thanks.

Don

5 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Brad, I'm trying to create a folder "Community Orbx" where do I put it? 

Hi Don,

Curious why you want a Community Orbx folder.  Orbx addons are generally installed to your main Community folder by default unless you have created an outside library in OC and point the installer to that folder.  Is it for mods that are related to Orbx products?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Hi Don,

Curious why you want a Community Orbx folder.  Orbx addons are generally installed to your main Community folder by default unless you have created an outside library in OC and point the installer to that folder.  Is it for mods that are related to Orbx products?

Hi Rob,

AS you have probably read in my earlier posts, I'm pretty hopeless with computer techy stuff, so I rely on what I read here. I thought I had to separate my folders to hopefully eliminate problems relating to MSFS latest update. I thought the best thing to do was to set up separate folders Orbx, and other sceneries - US, UK, Europe etc. No I don't have an outside library. So far I've stayed away from freeware sceneries, due to a few problems I had with them in FSX, and I consider developers such as NZA, Aerosoft, etc to be "quality" developers that shouldn't under normal conditions create a problem for me, of course there are exceptions to all rules. Right now I'm on the verge of putting   MSFS on hold until MS sorts the problems out. P3D is looking a much better option and error free.

Thanks for helping.  

• Haha 1

I'm sort of with you too Don.  P3Dv5 is not giving me any problems and looks great.  Plus it has lot's of great aircraft that I enjoy.  Right now for MSFS I'm pretty much avoiding the Community folder altogether.   I did create an outside the sim folder for Orbx addons (via Orbx Central) and don't install any  addons directly into the sim, either P3D or MSFS.  Some addons specify they must go into the sim itself but I don't use any of them.    Enjoy your sim, I know I do.  :)

I would highly recommend a mod called Addon Linker.

This allows you to install all addons, freeware and payware in a location that you want to, you can even organise them into a folder structure e.g. Scenery, Aircraft, Airports, Utilities etc.  The Linker creates symbolic links inside your community folder so that the sim sees what it needs to.

Makes it so easy when a new sim update comes out as you remove the links within Addon linker, and the addons are then not loaded.  

Also if you have a lot of scenery you can manage which scenery is loaded depending on where you aim to fly.  So if you have US scenery but are going to fly in the EU, easily remove the US scenery by unticking the links before you launch the sim.  

There are Youtube videos that show you how to set this up.

Personally I use this for all my freeware as these are usually the ones that cause the issues and payware products, like Orbx are usually quickly fixed if there is a problem, so I do actually leave them in my Community folder.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Crom UK said:

I would highly recommend a mod called Addon Linker.

This allows you to install all addons, freeware and payware in a location that you want to, you can even organise them into a folder structure e.g. Scenery, Aircraft, Airports, Utilities etc.  The Linker creates symbolic links inside your community folder so that the sim sees what it needs to.

Makes it so easy when a new sim update comes out as you remove the links within Addon linker, and the addons are then not loaded.  

Also if you have a lot of scenery you can manage which scenery is loaded depending on where you aim to fly.  So if you have US scenery but are going to fly in the EU, easily remove the US scenery by unticking the links before you launch the sim.  

There are Youtube videos that show you how to set this up.

Personally I use this for all my freeware as these are usually the ones that cause the issues and payware products, like Orbx are usually quickly fixed if there is a problem, so I do actually leave them in my Community folder.

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

• Like 1

It's really a shame that MSFS has such an easy to use system for adding freeware scenery and liveries to it (simply copy them to your Community folder - what could be simpler?) and yet people install a needless "Addon Linker" executable from someone they know nothing about. Microsoft made it easy. Others are making it more complicated. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seanmo said:

It's really a shame that MSFS has such an easy to use system for adding freeware scenery and liveries to it (simply copy them to your Community folder - what could be simpler?) and yet people install a needless "Addon Linker" executable from someone they know nothing about. Microsoft made it easy. Others are making it more complicated. 

Good point , I have taken so much out of my mods folder ; I could easily do it manually like you suggest. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, renault said:

About 87,000 other MS2020 users seem to like it though 

Cheers

R

I'm one of them.  Skeptical at first it allows me to manage what is active in my Community folder with a few clicks. and turn on/off what I want or don't want upon launch of the sim.  It also has an option that I use to first start LittleNavMap, love it.