OMG now this is what the fuss was all about

flyguy737

Ok so I have been really playing around with MSFS and thanks to Nick got the live weather working hmmm lets go to Canberra ok nice but argghhh what happened to the sights? hmmm ok turn photogrammetry back on ok now I see yeah that is actually better ok checked FPS yeah not bad ok lets head towards Bathurst....climbing, clouds above...omg look at the clouds holy (bleep)! these look just so real....even building tops in distance...so fluffy and just like I recall from my last flight in real life...ok descending to Bathurst rain in area.... what what what a rainbow???? no a double rainbow!!!! omg well that's something I have never seen in a sim...is this a sim or is it real? (twilight zone music plays) do do do do!!!!

Colin

The weather depiction in MSFS was probably the biggest wow factor for me when I started using it.  On one of my first flights I departed SEQM Airport with real weather and as I started to fly through the amazingly realistic looking clouds the TBM's wings and windshield started to pick up amazingly real looking ice, and the flight dynamics were even affected, and I had to add more power to generate more lift and keep climbing.  The worse the weather, the more spectacular it is in MSFS.

This Sim just gets better and better , coming soon will be amazing new water and particle (dust) effects . I agree with all

of my fellow MSFS fan boys in this thread . :):D

2 hours ago, rockliffe said:

Is it my imagination or have Asobo improved the cloud textures?

Hi Howard

Not sure , but it seems like they are better since a few updates ago.  Biggest improvement one can make I've found ,is to go into 

UserCfg,opt and under the PostProcess heading, turn off Filmgrain by changing its value from 1 to 0 .

Makes a significant impact and for me improves the cloud rendering quite a bit.

Cheers

Pete

A link to the UserCfg.opt location is given here

7 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Howard

Not sure , but it seems like they are better since a few updates ago.  Biggest improvement one can make I've found ,is to go into 

UserCfg,opt and under the PostProcess heading, turn off Filmgrain by changing its value from 1 to 0 .

Cheers

Pete

Nice one Pete. Thanks matey.

20 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Howard

Cheers

Pete

I'll try this asap thanks!

2 hours ago, flyguy737 said:

I'll try this asap thanks!

Hi 

I hope it has given you what you would like to see.

Of course, everyone has different preferences when it comes to image rendering.

I have a friend who has logged many more flight hours IRL than some of us have been journeying through adulthood. 

He is always telling me that my clouds look like lumpy mashed potatoes and not close to the real thing.

Below are a couple samples taken on my system.

These are with film grain turned off

Hope this was of help to you

Cheers

Pete

0-Flight-Simulator-2021-06-28-17-03-43.j

1-Flight-Simulator-2021-06-28-17-20-36.j

2-Flight-Simulator-2021-06-28-17-18-55.j

42 minutes ago, wain71 said:

@renaultdo you know if updates will put changes like this back to what they were before?

I know for me the HDR fix had reverted back to the original setting after the last Sim update . 

15 hours ago, BradB said:

I know for me the HDR fix had reverted back to the original setting after the last Sim update . 

That is really odd John. I haven't had that happen

Do you mean that it changed but you were able to change it back or is it no longer accessible?

My nephew has the MS store version and his didn't change at all. (I'm on steam)

Thanks

Pete

cc @wain71

1 hour ago, renault said:

That is really odd John. I haven't had that happen

Do you mean that it changed but you were able to change it back or is it no longer accessible?

My nephew has the MS store version and his didn't change at all. (I'm on steam)

Thanks

Pete

cc @wain71

I know when you first posted this fix , I made the change in the CFG file . After seeing this thread

again , I went into my CFG file again and it had reverted back to the default setting . 

46 minutes ago, BradB said:

I know when you first posted this fix , I made the change in the CFG file . After seeing this thread

again , I went into my CFG file again and it had reverted back to the default setting . 

Hi John

I know that you can stop this by changing the permissions for the file to "read only", but I'm not comfortable with recommending 

that as with the MS store version it could potentially cause other issues.

It's one of the reasons I am so happy with the steam version after my problems with the MS store version.  It's all so .... well "normal"  in its behavior.

Cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, renault said:

Hi John

I know that you can stop this by changing the permissions for the file to "read only", but I'm not comfortable with recommending 

that as with the MS store version it could potentially cause other issues.

It's one of the reasons I am so happy with the steam version after my problems with the MS store version.  It's all so .... well "normal"  in its behavior.

Cheers

Pete

I had a senior moment when I went with the store version , I run XP thru Steam with no issues at all . Except for a few small issues like this one , I have been very happy with the store version also .

Cheers

John

Archived