LYLBB Landing at Van Nuys

TigerTigerM

Did a circuit & landing at Van Nuys in a Delta liveried PMDG DC-6B.

Take off was smooth & controlled, landing was LYLBB.

LYLBB for the uninitiated is a landing in the category, 'Lose Your License Bunny Bang'.

A Bunny Bang landing is one where you come in too high & too slow & from about 10' above the runway, drop straight down on the mains.

Of course the mains will have none of this & they promptly pivot the aircraft very hard in a forward & downward  motion, thereby banging the nose wheel onto the tarmac.

The nose wheel reacts & rears upwards & if you put the wrong control inputs in at the wrong moment you can repeat the exercise whilst gamboling down the runway, until you somehow mistime an input & end up with all wheels on the ground at the same time, & then you feverishly stand on the brakes.

So a BBL is related to a bunny hop, but without any finesse & it is a lot more violent.

That aside, Van Nuys is a very interesting airport & there will be lots to see while the aircraft is repaired.

Well done Matteo.

TTM (MSFS)

Nice controlled departure from Van Nuys.

vn-1.jpg

Arrival, & weather has changed to SoFly UK Spring Day, at dawn. A tad too high I suspect.

vn-2.jpg

Not only too high but too far left as well! (I like the blue accent lighting on the taxi ways at this airport)

vn-3.jpg

Despite appearances, the aircraft is dropping straight down at this point.

vn-4.jpg

This contradicts my narrative, but I have 'damage' turned off. Strictly speaking the DC-6B should be resting on its nose.

vn-5.jpg

Control tower at dawn or dusk, can't remember which. (BTW, anyone know where the Navigation lights switch is for the DC-6? I can't find it)

vn-6.jpg

9 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

How is that bird?  I was considering it but have to hold off a bit sadly.   Glad I got Van Nuys though, it was worth it!!

Yes, Van Nuys is a must have.

The DC-6 is also a must have if you enjoy vintage aviation, radials,  & an aircraft with layers of complexity.

It is worth every penny of its price, IMHO.

TTM

Archived