And Now For Something Completely Different - Vegemite

Beside Tim Tams Vegemite is another another iconic Australian staple food. It's Similar to Marmite but not quite the same.

I had my first encounter with Vegemite during my first visit to Australia more than 30 years ago. There were those little plastic packages of Vegemite on the breakfast table in our hotel in Palm Cove north of Cairns. Since I have always been a big fan of Nutella and all sorts of chocolate/nut spreads I put it richly onto my breakfast toast and took a hearty bite... :unsure: :footmouth:

I than avoided any contact with this fine Australian food for many years. Only after I had met my Australian wife she showed me how to eat it properly and it is a must have on my breakfas table since then.

But it is quite expensive here in Europe and not easy to get. So it is a good thing to have friends and relatives Down Under, who will mail us a jar of Vegemite every now and then.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BradB said:

New one on me , had to look it up :

Veg.PNG.cac2a237a8b50cc4462c5e6a6649612f.PNG

Cheers

John

22 minutes ago, wain71 said:

jars look similar to Marmite, I'll give this one a miss though......

Do you kmow the song "Down Under" by Men At Work?

This is the 2nd verse of this song:

"Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Vegemite is an excellent baste for pork belly BBQ roast to get great crackling.  Makes a quick nice broth with boiling hot water too.

I prefer two other products for sandwiches - 333 Mighty Mite or Masterfoods Promite - both nice with Colby cheese or peanut butter or ginger jam or all at the same time with a dash of chilli - makes the cold frothy ones slide done really well :D

• Like 4

Vegemite reminds me. I want to start my own vegetable garden but I can not find any Bacon seeds. Could you please help me? Also any advice on how to grow beer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Karl and the Mule Team:unsure::D 

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Vegemite reminds me. I want to start my own vegetable garden but I can not find any Bacon seeds. Could you please help me? Also any advice on how to grow beer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Karl and the Mule Team:unsure::D 

ha ha  That reminds me of one Christmas where I gave my Dad a baggie of Cheerios labeled "Donut seeds".

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Vegemite is an excellent baste for pork belly BBQ roast to get great crackling.  Makes a quick nice broth with boiling hot water too.

I prefer two other products for sandwiches - 333 Mighty Mite or Masterfoods Promite - both nice with Colby cheese or peanut butter or ginger jam or all at the same time with a dash of chilli - makes the cold frothy ones slide done really well :D

Yummy! :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For me Vegemite is best eaten in Australia only. So they need to open the borders or I need to stick to imprted TimTams...

19 hours ago, wolfko said:

"Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich."

If you would not, Wolfgang, I would have posted that song here. Now I keep it in just a picture, breakfast in Cairns:

SAdTgOT.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2