MSFS update 1.10.7.0 and Rolling Cache

Since some folks seem to have occasionally experienced issues with add-on scenery and rolling cache, I just wanted to give a heads-up with something I observed with this latest patch. After installing 1.10.7.0, I noticed under settings that this latest update automatically enabled rolling cache. Prior to the update under the 1.9.5.0 build, I had rolling cache disabled.

If you also had rolling cache disabled, you may want to check your settings to ensure it is still disabled after the latest update.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, CageyMoose said:

Since some folks seem to have occasionally experienced issues with add-on scenery and rolling cache, I just wanted to give a heads-up with something I observed with this latest patch. After installing 1.10.7.0, I noticed under settings that this latest update automatically enabled rolling cache. Prior to the update under the 1.9.5.0 build, I had rolling cache disabled.

If you also had rolling cache disabled, you may want to check your settings to ensure it is still disabled after the latest update.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up...I would love to check that, but since updating, now when I run MSFS right when it gets done loading to the main screen, it crashes to the desktop. Event Viewer simply states there was an appcrash in Flight Simulator.exe I swear, between the latest P3D patch not being great, and this latest MSFS patch plain breaking my sim, I am not a happy simmer at all right now. You would think patches would FIX things, not make them worse...grrrr...

Anyway, good note from you on the Rolling Cache.

Whenever you do an update it is best to remove to a safe place your Community folder.

There may be clashes with installed mods/addons that the new update doesn't like and can cause a crash at loading the sim.

You can easily start adding back addons if you use this freeware tool which will create symbolic links from your isolated Community folder into a new Community folder, therefore allowing you a painless task of checking that there are no clashes with an addon by just clicking on an addon to include it in the Community folder.

Unlike Nick I have many, many addons and find the ability to pick & choose what addons i want active in a particular flight session, a great advantage,both in resources and loading times. I have created different addon folders by world regions and have the facility to activate all, some or none of my addons.

All it takes is a mouse click.

Just updated this morning. Good catch on the Rolling cache as like others I disable it. Don't have many addons, and can easily move them to a temporary location. Also if you go into the Content Manager there are further updates for the recent Japan offering.

5 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Whenever you do an update it is best to remove to a safe place your Community folder.

There may be clashes with installed mods/addons that the new update doesn't like and can cause a crash at loading the sim.

You can easily start adding back addons if you use this freeware tool which will create symbolic links from your isolated Community folder into a new Community folder, therefore allowing you a painless task of checking that there are no clashes with an addon by just clicking on an addon to include it in the Community folder.

Unlike Nick I have many, many addons and find the ability to pick & choose what addons i want active in a particular flight session, a great advantage,both in resources and loading times. I have created different addon folders by world regions and have the facility to activate all, some or none of my addons.

I agree completely Jon. It was also very easy to link my Orbx scenery folder into it which allows me to optimize my load times  

A great little resource,  easy to set up,  intuitive to use and works perfectly :)

Cheers

Pete

18 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Wow great tool just set it up, everything much neater now thank you

12 hours ago, renault said:

I agree completely Jon. It was also very easy to link my Orbx scenery folder into it which allows me to optimize my load times  

A great little resource,  easy to set up,  intuitive to use and works perfectly :)

Cheers

Pete

If you link payware into, specifically Orbx wouldn't this cause probs when you update through Orbx Central (ie create duplicate folders).  I left my payware in the community folder but used the tool for all my freeware.

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

If you link payware into, specifically Orbx wouldn't this cause probs when you update through Orbx Central (ie create duplicate folders).  I left my payware in the community folder but used the tool for all my freeware.

No it will be fine. The source folder for Orbx is still the same and Orbx Central still puts all the required folders there.

Central then puts a symbolic link into the community folder as always. 

When you set up addon linker you will add the Orbx Central folder where you told it to store your files as an additional new source folder.

When addon linker runs it sees the Orbx Central as its source,  just like the one you created already for your addons.  And it sees the Orbx created symbolic links in the Community folder.  It doesn't make a special type of symbolic link related to  it ( there is just the standard type of link) so it treats it exactly the same as if it created it 

You can activate/deactivate the use of the Orbx scenery now exactly as you are doing with your own addons

The important thing to remember is that addon linker only ever manipulates the symbolic link to the folder, never the actual Orbx folder itself.  That is still done by Orbx Central and there never will be a duplication 

In my particular case, I added the Orbx Central Folder location for MS2020 into addon linker more to future proof my installation, even though it was not necessary to do so at this time. The issue with the MS Community folder is that all add-ons are placed there. 

As you continue to add more and more , MS has to load everything and the actual loading time for the sim starts to increase significantly. i have an Orbx colleague who actually was the one who introduced me to Addon linker, who along with his Orbx scenery had added a lot of additional scenery and other addons. His load time was up to 25-30 minutes when he migrated everything into Addon linker.

Certainly there is no need to do this and if you are happy with your system as you have it  I would leave the Orbx installation as it is.  As much as anything else the little note was simply to document that this is also an option if one desired.

Cheers

Pete

Please don't hesitate to send me a pm if I can assist further, if this is unclear.

Archived