Testing MSFS drone camera at EGNM

Dario

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

They look well composed Dario, and I love that last one but that blurry stuff makes it look odd, like a TV show.

Thank you very much, Jack! It really adds a lot of realism to the images, it's am amazing effect! :) 

2 hours ago, Lee H said:

Wow, really nice shots. It seems that if you add an xbox controller to you PC, you can control the drone much easier.

Lee

Thank you very much, Lee! I didn't know that! Thanks for the advice, I will do some research and see how it works. 

2 hours ago, Nedo said:

they look nice but the blur let them look like small toys :D

There's indeed an effect called " toy camera" that's used in photography, with some similarity to this. In MSFS you can control the level of the bokeh effect, though, adjusting it to your taste. I happen to like it very much. :) 

30 minutes ago, BradB said:

Smashing shots Dario , as Lee above mentioned getting a X-Box controller helps with the drone views .

Thank you very much, Brad! :) 

Wow, I definitely need to try this. For me it's a nightmare to move the drone camera with the keyboard. Regards!!

2 hours ago, Lee H said:

Wow, really nice shots. It seems that if you add an xbox controller to you PC, you can control the drone much easier.

Lee

just tried it, wow what a difference, plug in the controller and it's already set up....happy chap....

6 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Dario hats off to you sir, this Drone cam is baffling, I feel I may be tinkering for a while......

Thank you very much, Wain! For me the same, every time I hit a key the drone goes where I don't want it to go :) I need to try this Xbox controller solution suggested by Brad and Lee. That would be quite a relief...

Just now, Dario said:

Thank you very much, Wain! For me the same, every time I hit a key the drone goes where I don't want it to go :) I need to try this Xbox controller solution suggested by Brad and Lee. That would be quite a relief...

yep controller is a breeze, I did up the speed of the drone though...

4 minutes ago, wain71 said:

just tried it, wow what a difference, plug in the controller and it's already set up....happy chap....

Really??? That's amazing!!

Do you need a bluetooth connection or is it possible to connect via USB? 

1 minute ago, Dario said:

Really??? That's amazing!!

Do you need a bluetooth connection or is it possible to connect via USB? 

mine is wired, I haven't tried the other because it's flat....just plugged it into usb on pc ....

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

Excellent set.

I like the grime in #3 & the taxi lights on wet tarmac effect in the last one, in particular.

I have also read that an Xbox controller transforms the drone photography.

TTM

Thank you very much indeed, TTM! 

Everything is depicted so perfectly in MSFS, it's really a mind boggling experience. 

I highly recommend using an XBox controller. I installed it today following some colleagues advice, and as you said it completely transforms the way you position the drone. It's a must-have, in my opinion. 

Regards! 

Dario

33 minutes ago, Dario said:

Everything is depicted so perfectly in MSFS, it's really a mind boggling experience. 

I highly recommend using an XBox controller. I installed it today following some colleagues advice, and as you said it completely transforms the way you position the drone. It's a must-have, in my opinion. 

Regards! 

Dario

Dario

Could you tell me which controller you got, as there are quite a few in the market. 

Does it connect to PC with USB plug??

& do you control the drone camera with an xbox 'joy stick', or buttons?

Thanks

TTM

34 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Dario

Could you tell me which controller you got, as there are quite a few in the market. 

Does it connect to PC with USB plug??

& do you control the drone camera with an xbox 'joy stick', or buttons?

Thanks

TTM

Hi TTM,

The controller I installed today came together with my XBox One X. It's this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Black-one/dp/B01LPZM7VI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+controller&qid=1597952136&sr=8-1

I am able to control all the movements with both sticks, and to control the height I use back buttons, which are also pressure sensitive (the more you press, the faster you get up or down).

I connected it with my PC (Windows 10) via USB. You need to make sure you get a cable USB to MicroUSB that transfers data (the cable that comes with the joystick is able only to charge, so the PC does not recognize the joystick). 

Best regards,

Dario

1 hour ago, Dario said:

Hi TTM,

The controller I installed today came together with my XBox One X. It's this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Black-one/dp/B01LPZM7VI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+controller&qid=1597952136&sr=8-1

I am able to control all the movements with both sticks, and to control the height I use back buttons, which are also pressure sensitive (the more you press, the faster you get up or down).

I connected it with my PC (Windows 10) via USB. You need to make sure you get a cable USB to MicroUSB that transfers data (the cable that comes with the joystick is able only to charge, so the PC does not recognize the joystick). 

Best regards,

Dario

Very helpful. Thank you.

TTM

4 hours ago, Dario said:

Regards! 

Dario

I agree completely Dario. I bought an Xbox controller this afternoon, and what a difference :)

It is a wireless and took only a few seconds to set up 

The camera system is now fluid, precise, very quick to respond and infinitely adjustable . Best of all its intuitive.

But what I wasn't ready for was what happened on my desk. Started going down the runway, got off it a bit  and ran into some  gravel and crickey ,  my whole desktop started vibrating. It was the darn little controller vibrating because I was in rough ground :)

The camera system really bugged me , but now it is so neat. Unbelievable 

And I think this is the root cause of a lot of issues with MS2020.

It is truly modern gaming technology. And they don't do stuff the way we are used to doing things.

Of course in real life if you are flying a drone with a camera, your controller has little joysticks to control movement. So why wouldn't the drone camera in MS behave the same way?  It does and then things work the way Asobo intended them to work.

I also recall some of the early videos from Asobo. They had keyboard, mouse, joystick and xbox controller on their desktop. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now it makes sense:rolleyes:

Archived