Orbx MSFS USD pricing...and possible sales tax?

Orbx Flyer

To Orbx,

Will American and Canadian customers now have to pay State Sales Tax, or in the case  for Canadian customers...now will 13% GST be added to the Orbx MSFS product total?  

How will pricing now (a first) in United States Currency affect all this?

Can you still buy through OrbxDirect (meaning that North American Continent residents will not be charged any form of sales tax/GST tax?)

In buying MSFS through the Microsoft Store I was in fact charged 13 % GST added to my payment.

Thank you and waiting back to read...

58 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I understand the apparent lack of any kind of patience.

Two things, it is the weekend and Mr Venema is no longer the CEO.

Please at least try to restrain your excitement for now.

Hi Nick,  I don't actually understand the reference to 'the weekend'...?!?!?    No Orbx representative ever comes on, to post a response to a question, only other than Monday to Friday?   We Forum members do..and by the number of views on the thread..seems to be information that a lot of USA and CAN purchasers/supporters are also interested to read an Orbx response to.

For myself, with Orbx deciding to now charge in USF and not AUS,  as a Canadian, it about doubles the final price for me,  to purchase further Orbx titles.  So...a legitimate inquiry.

If purchasing Orbx for MSFS off of Orbx Direct still will be charged and asked for in AUS,  and based in Australia, ...that would be an option to choose for the North American purchaser,  and not trigger add-on tax and to the final cost, as well as the greater conversion cost of the USF,  when compared to a purchase being asked for in AUS.  

Anyway,  I'll anticipate an official response . Thank you, Nick and  Cheers,

Hello,

those who deal with the detail that you want the answer to are company employees

and entitled to time off, just like all employees of reputable companies.

You will not see them posting in any forums, it is not a part of their duties.

Because they are not there, those who do post cannot ask the questions of them.

You should be aware that the main purpose of these forums is Orbx Product customer support.

To that end, we have a small customer support team who between them are available for most of the 24 hour period.

We are not management, nor are we admin staff or developers, just people who are willing to make ourselves available

at the times when others are not.

In the event that we do not know the answers, we refer the questions to those who do, who do not necessarily work at the weekend.

We do not benefit from having to spend time explaining in detail why we do what we do.

6 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

To Orbx,

Will American and Canadian customers now have to pay State Sales Tax, or in the case  for Canadian customers...now will 13% GST be added to the Orbx MSFS product total?  

How will pricing now (a first) in United States Currency affect all this?

Can you still buy through OrbxDirect (meaning that North American Continent residents will not be charged any form of sales tax/GST tax?)

In buying MSFS through the Microsoft Store I was in fact charged 13 % GST added to my payment.

Thank you and waiting back to read...

An interesting question. The conversion rate from US$ to CDN$ is pretty awful at the moment.  Microsoft have just charged me 12% sales tax on the pre-order for MSFS20, based on my location in British Columbia, which is correct. I would be interested to know if this payment is based on your registered credit card address or IP address shown when ordering.

If, hypothetically, you were to use a VPN to change your IP location to a province that charges only 5% sales tax, say Alberta, would that adjust the sales tax payable?

In the past, to pay in AUD$ as a Canadian, we have just the one rate of conversion to deal with. If our currency, when using the Orbx store is converted to US$, then we will have 2.

When I've used Just Flight in the past, I've used my VPN to show a UK address, paid local taxes and then just had the one conversion over to CDN$.  If I used their site with my CDN IP address it would charge me in US$ first, then my C/C company would convert that to CDN$, making the item purchased more expensive. Individually, it's not a serious increase, but over a period of time, that increases substantially.

Look forward to some feedback on this over time.

52 minutes ago, MH434 said:

An interesting question. The conversion rate from US$ to CDN$ is pretty awful at the moment.  Microsoft have just charged me 12% sales tax on the pre-order for MSFS20, based on my location in British Columbia, which is correct. I would be interested to know if this payment is based on your registered credit card address or IP address shown when ordering.

If, hypothetically, you were to use a VPN to change your IP location to a province that charges only 5% sales tax, say Alberta, would that adjust the sales tax payable?

In the past, to pay in AUD$ as a Canadian, we have just the one rate of conversion to deal with. If our currency, when using the Orbx store is converted to US$, then we will have 2.

When I've used Just Flight in the past, I've used my VPN to show a UK address, paid local taxes and then just had the one conversion over to CDN$.  If I used their site with my CDN IP address it would charge me in US$ first, then my C/C company would convert that to CDN$, making the item purchased more expensive. Individually, it's not a serious increase, but over a period of time, that increases substantially.

Look forward to some feedback on this over time.

In my case...doing all the CDN to USF conversions...a $12.99 MSFS purchase will end up on the C.C. bill as $20.78.   xx.xx, add 38% CDN to USF conversion, add 13 % to that, and the C.C. adding their up-charge of 3.5 %....so not truly a minor increase.  In buying direct from Orbx Direct with an AUS asking price, it was CDN to AUS...a decrease of 10 percent,  and no sales tax. the C.C. up-charge was on the decreased CDN to AUS conversion.   So...my legitimate concern to Orbx's new price model moving forward and future purchases.  Obviously U.S. residents/purchasers will see no added increase, or C.C. up-charge when they receive their account statement.  Orbx USF $12.99 will be $12.99....no 'wait until you get the bill' surprises. They will of course lose any USF to AUS decrease price conversion benefit. That, they will lose.

If Orbx will ask 38.00 USF,  (as an example here, for xxx product) ....  with the Canadian up-charge pathway, that would end up on that Canadian's C.C. account as: a charge of $61.33 CDN , for a $38.00 USF purchase.  Not minor at all. I hope Orbx reconsiders this, or at least takes this into account.  My requested response will let me know, one way or another,  MH434.  Had it been in AUS, that purchase would have been billed at $34.20 CDN.   A whopping difference between now, and post MSFS RTM (traded currency) pricing models.

This is fact, and not speculation...so hope this does not become a locked thread. I hope so.  It is a concern to me, as a Canadian supporter of Orbx (Australia)

Orbx Flyer, I agree with you. That's why I used a VPN to show a UK address when purchasing items from companies like Just Flight. Unfortunately, many companies do not have a CDN$ option when purchasing. I have no idea if that is a viable, or a cost effective option, to offer multiple purchasing currencies on these sites. There are many of us in Canada who use Orbx so we can only hope that an CDN$ option is available.

Just now, MH434 said:

Orbx Flyer, I agree with you. That's why I used a VPN to show a UK address when purchasing items from companies like Just Flight. Unfortunately, many companies do have have a CDN$ option when purchasing. I have no idea if that is a viable, or a cost effective option, to offer multiple purchasing currencies on these sites. There are many of us in Canada who use Orbx so we can only hope that an CDN$ option is available.

As two Cannucks, we'll know the 'scoop' when an Orbx official answers directly, or communicates to Nick as their information conduit.  I think he intimated that that is the route for such a question as I have put forward to Orbx Management.

Cheers,

10 minutes ago, Orbx Flyer said:

As two Cannucks, we'll know the 'scoop' when an Orbx official answers directly, or communicates to Nick as their information conduit.  I think he intimated that that is the route for such a question as I have put forward to Orbx Management.

Cheers,

I'm sure they will in time.  Going to be a bit hectic for them in the coming weeks. Thankfully, Orbx are one of the better companies to deal with regarding feedback.

In the meantime, very much looking forward to enjoying the new sim.

Just now, MH434 said:

I'm sure they will in time.  Going to be a bit hectic for them in the coming weeks. Thankfully, Orbx are one of the better companies to deal with regarding feedback.

In the meantime, very much looking forward to enjoying the new sim.

As we wait...and we being Maple Syrup-blooded Cannucks....here my friend...is a great Canadian beer!   You stick whatever label you want on this virtual pass to... :)

I'm just going to hold off, for now, until we get a response, and just fly whatever comes with the gig. :)

"Oh Canada....hum hum hum..."  ;)

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Surely the simple question is --- Will Orbx continue to sell via Central in Australian dollars as now ?? i.e.  no change.

That is the brunt, John...but waiting for that exact confirmation.  Will that be the case...will that still be a portal to pay for such as Canadians.

Hello,

I'm completely new to this forum, so I'm still trying it out. I don't know if it is even possible to propose something for an airport. What do you think of the Bremen airport (EDDW) for the new flight simulator :) Orbx is known for the beautiful airports and scenery and I love their products *_*

6 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Hi Benny,

Anna Cicognani has been CEO for almost a year.  John is, of course, the founder and, I believe,  currently heads up Research and Development.

Rod

And he is propably the one, who receives most of the profit Orbx makes. ;)

14 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Surely the simple question is --- Will Orbx continue to sell via Central in Australian dollars as now ?? i.e.  no change.

I really don't know why I asked that question - it was a little dumb of me - and I probably knew the answer anyway

IT is just simple economics - of law supply and demand - in that why - in an International Market - any company should avoid

the ups and downs of the currency market - and those that do - unless they are in the currency market game - 

make sure that their budgets etc - are more secure - and most of Orbx costs will be either in $A - or pounds to pay the workers in the UK

Orbx is an Australian Based company  - crunches its numbers - in Australian Dollars - IE all its income - is in Aussy Dollars.

3 months ago - The $A was worth 61 cents US - today - its 72 cents US - +11% - 3 months ago overseas customers purchased in Aussie $s-

and gained the benefit of the low dollar - and today when you buy from  Orbx in $A -  internationals will be paying more. Orbx income remains the same

The Law in Australia is simple - all prices must be in $A - and include Sales Tax in the price - which leaves us in no doubt - what we are paying - and

the vendor is responsible for tipping up to the Government - the amount of tax - they have gathered. What happens to the International customers 

I do not know --  but if I purchase on the internet - E.G. Just Flight - I pay in US dollars - and I pay through the bank. The only tax that comes into it -

is that charged by the Bank in Fees.

One notes -  that not only do Australian owned companies adhere to this -  but all companies who trade IN Australia - must do the same

Microsoft do it - and so do the likes of Steam - Amazon -  etc - and it is up to them to deal with the tax - which they must tip up - no messing.

So - unless Orbx - have a brain storm - expect to continue to pay in Good Old  Central Australian Dollars - and I expect Microsoft and Steam etc, -

to continue likewise!!

Just as an aside - just trying to read Orbx Flyers comments made my eyes water - with the calculations that he quoted -  - Hey Mitch - maybe my  diatribe 

might just make you examine your residence - and we just love our fellow colonial Canucks - So Come over to a Covid free Queensland - Beautiful one Day  - 

Perfect the Next- not to mention fixed prices --- a multitude of Ozzy airports - and a cheaper X Box Series X:rolleyes:

P,S. I actually get a small pension of a few pounds each month - I just wish it was in Aussie dollars to make life as simple as buying through Central:D

14 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this is a very long topic for the stated purpose of asking in which currency purchases will be made.

My guess would be that if there was a ready answer, it would have already been given.

It's all good, Nick...for of course, we will all find out, with our attempt at a first purchase.  That will be the Litmus Test, right?

Cheers, and thanks for this post.  You were looking out for me...and John and I are enjoying the conversation, in the mean-time.

Mitch

If products costs are now to be in US$$ instead of AUS$$ that will indeed result in a pretty massive price increase for Canadians. Well, that's one way to increase profit margins. Interesting that the question is not being answered. One thing I have respected Orbx for was their pricing in AUS$$. That said this kind of maneuvering is the right of the company though I find it disappointing. Wonder if this change is as a result of the new management structure?

Here in Canada we have the odd Canadian company selling (online) out of a Canadian address to Canadians  charging in US$$ and unless you read every last word of the purchase agreement - some are quite long -  you may miss it.....Questionable ethics but it is a legal company choice.

19 minutes ago, porsche said:

If products costs are now to be in US$$ instead of AUS$$ that will indeed result in a pretty massive price increase for Canadians. Well, that's one way to increase profit margins. Interesting that the question is not being answered. One thing I have respected Orbx for was their pricing in AUS$$. That said this kind of maneuvering is the right of the company though I find it disappointing. Wonder if this change is as a result of the new management structure?

Here in Canada we have the odd Canadian company selling (online) out of a Canadian address to Canadians  charging in US$$ and unless you read every last word of the purchase agreement - some are quite long -  you may miss it.....Questionable ethics but it is a legal company choice.

Agreed...conversion harvesting.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:18 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this is a very long topic for the stated purpose of asking in which currency purchases will be made.

My guess would be that if there was a ready answer, it would have already been given.

Or simply Nick....the answer to my yes or no question...simply does not want to be given, and/or avoided.  It's now Wednesday,and I posted on Saturday.  It's a simple question...from this day forward, are Orbx offerings for sale, --->going to be posted and asked for in payment, ONLY by means of USF funds.?

Simple question to answer. Yes...or no. Will purchases made upon Orbx's host site, Direct still be asked for in the Company's NATIVE currency...their resident currency...$AUS.  As a Canadian purchaser and supporter...I would appreciate a direct answer.  As a Canadian purchaser...this apparent decision will affect me, very much financially, in regards to further support and purchases going forward. This is a legitimate concern.

Thank you,

Orbx Flyer.

Hello,

as far as I am aware, nothing is being hidden, kept back or otherwise being concealed.

I am not permitted to comment on any facet of the relationship between Orbx company policy

and the new flight simulator.

As I stated earlier on, if there is comment to be made, it will no doubt be made as and when

there is something to comment on.

As I also stated earlier, support staff are not involved in or privy to any of these types of decision,

not only are we forbidden to comment, we do not know the answers.

As I have steadfastly maintained since this simulator was first announced, we discourage speculation

and do not indulge in it ourselves.

"not only are we forbidden to comment, we do not know the answers."

Nick, I will certainly respect that...and as I stated..in absence of any direct comment from the C.E.O.  who I am sure, is reading this thread...will find out, soon enough as we all will. I appreciate TOTALLY, your candor...with respect.

Orbx Flyer   "Over 'n out". 

Our information is that for US customers a sales tax will be applied on top of the prices we sell for. The Marketplace as far as we are aware use the applicable currency for a customer based on location.

We have used USD pricing in our announcements as it's far more recognisable and there is still confusion with our AUD being thought as USD prices.

As for our site, no change for the time being - we still charge in AUD.

5 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Our information is that for US customers a sales tax will be applied on top of the prices we sell for. The Marketplace as far as we are aware use the applicable currency for a customer based on location.

We have used USD pricing in our announcements as it's far more recognisable and there is still confusion with our AUD being thought as USD prices.

As for our site, no change for the time being - we still charge in AUD.

Sold!   Thank you for your response, Ed. My question is put to bed....

7 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Sold!   Thank you for your response, Ed. My question is put to bed....

I just found out that the Marketplace will CONVERT all other international currencies from USF to XXX currency.  Their asking price will ALWAYS be figured out in USF funds. So...we're back to square one...for Canadians...you will pay the added-on 38 percent or  more USF to CDN 'jack up', ...and then your Province's sales tax on top of that.   :(  Then...your C.C.'s gonna crank it up another 3.5 %.  

If as Ed stated,  any MSFS offerings will be as in the past, on their Direct Site (Australia) in AUS...then the C.C. will be pulled out of the locker...  I'll look for that, on Launch Day.  I certainly won't be buying through the M.S. Marketplace...well, not for me anyways.  AUS to CDN, only!

Archived