if you want to do better, ya gotta accept suggestions for improvement

renault

In a recent post I made (The Tortoise & the Hare) , our Jack @Jack Sawyer made a comment about my sky colors.  My initial reaction was "but …. this is personal esthetic, & its the way I like it :o.  

However when you step back after the first reaction I realized "ya, I've known about this issue for a very long time and I just kept putting off doing something about it. But I want to create the best screenshots I can in terms of visual fidelity - its fun, enjoyable and relaxing. I am pretty busy with a bunch of other projects , a number which require considerable intellectual thought & consequently time  (and pay me :)), so this was one of those things that I kept putting off, because fixing these things in XPlane requires a number of dedicated hours & probably to be honest, I hoped that no one would be bothered until I got around to fixing it.

So good on ya Jacko!!  :)

I'm grateful that you  prodded me into action.

So for the last time boys and girls here are some more in XPlane Vulkan 11.50b10 at Tillamook (the last time I promise) using my new sky color .  Where does the fun part come from?  Well here is the original source file from a snap I took on a holiday last year.

ZqCBriq.jpg

Its pretty straightforward to build sky colors from a photo, just a bit time consuming, because the lighting engine in XPlane (the HDR part) alters stuff & its a fair bit of iteration. But its the best way I've found and much more satisfying from using some one else's.

Is it exactly what you get in a photo (yes if you are willing to spend the time (hrs)), but the important thing is the gradiation and variance that comes from a photo is very hard to try to create by hand. So, I had a relaxing time and came close :)

Cheers

Renault

Y2Y3N2d.jpg

peoXJd2.jpg

wX5ufLB.jpg

otKNQRQ.jpg

qxCyQEp.jpg

rTMdyEU.jpg

frns4hZ.jpg

And for those who like yellow and for Joe @JOE DYGAN and his blue feathery friend
here are a few of a T6 in the colors of the Armée de l'Aair

24c3Yuz.jpg

1salCZ1.jpg

URqODLz.jpg

HqgEqJq.jpg

gWWIHWh.jpg

FDsmoVd.jpg

Message received loud and clear!

I am proud to be part of the "armée de l'air"...

images.jpg.b5b02764802ff3bddcdea692cc575461.jpg

I am very impressed by the quality of your blue sky which perfectly matches the overall quality of the other colors and details of your great shots.

Fantastic job! Well done and thanks for sharing!

Cheers :D !

15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful images Mr Blue Sky and a good job you know what you are doing!

Thanks!

Cheers

R

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Cheers

John

Thanks John

An absolute classic :)

Cheers

15 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Thanks!

Cheers:)

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Looks great Pete!

Thanks Jack

See you :)

10 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Pete.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

See you:)

Pete

7 hours ago, Kev D said:

Terrific colour. Pete.  We need it!!

Kev

Thanks Kev:)

Cheers

5 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Ever been to Tillamook, OR?  Sky color is gray.  That's it.  One color, but many shades of it.

Not many but a few .... It's why we were all out flying on that day :)

And yes, about 40 odd yrs ago . And it was sunny part of the time as I recall. Seemed to be on par with most of Oregon

Vi4TvLq.jpg

reference:  https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/oregon/tillamook

But if "wet's" your cup of tea .....

vceDfDc.jpg

a1OPtog.jpg

Cheers

4 hours ago, JOE DYGAN said:

Message received loud and clear!

I am proud to be part of the "armée de l'air"...

images.jpg.b5b02764802ff3bddcdea692cc575461.jpg

I am very impressed by the quality of your blue sky which perfectly matches the overall quality of the other colors and details of your great shots.

Fantastic job! Well done and thanks for sharing!

Cheers :D !

Thanks Joe. And I'm very impressed with your yellow friend. Great things come in small packages:)

It needs a sign "Don't mess with me!"

All the best:)

Pete

On 6/8/2020 at 4:09 AM, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Great looking shots!

Thanks Eberhard:)

Cheers

Pete

On 6/12/2020 at 11:39 PM, jean marc said:

perfect colors for these wonderful skies ... as well the blue ones as the grey rainy ones ... I would like to get such ones in P3Dv4.5 and 5 ... thanks Pete !! :)

Thank you JM

I used to "lament" that P3D was so much better, but since I started learning how to do everything myself I'm much happier. Not for everyone, but as I got more interested in lighting physics and its interaction with color and our perceptions it's become a much wider interest in flight simming now.  I must confess I don't fly much anymore - but I do love to "tinker" to see what I can achieve.

And Orbx provides such a superb canvas to practice on!

Cheers

Pete

On 6/13/2020 at 7:18 AM, Ripcord said:

Pete, love the shots - including the gray ones.  Grew up about an hour or so from there.  Strangely, never made it to that air museum, so that's still on the list.

Thank you

I'm really pleased you enjoyed them. I realized form your previous comment that you had first hand knowledge. :)

The museum looks like a fascinating place to visit from the background research I did on Tillamook for the screenshots. Apparently it was originally a blimp hangar which explains its unique shape and size. Definitely on my list of places to return to for a visit somday:)

Cheers

Pete

30 minutes ago, renault said:

as I got more interested in lighting physics and its interaction with color and our perceptions it's become a much wider interest in flight simming now.

I remember that day when I had about 16 years old when I learnt that colors are only a perception, a kind of print/signal impression by photos on my eyes,sent by the objet in all directions...a new world...and later so complex with the quanta in the particules's world :o ... a deep subject with many things to learn and to discover 8) thanks for you explaination Pete :)

Archived