LC Africa: 7 Photoreal area's !

HansAga

First of all I like very much what I see by the first looks in new LC Africa.   Great job done..

Can anyone please tell where the 7 photoreal areas are located ?

Missing that part in the description and manual.

Rgds,

Hans

34 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Here is a kmz file that will show them all in Google Earth

OLC_AF_poi.kmzUnavailable

Hello Rob ,

Could you please send me the kmz into my email , because I am unable to download it from the forum ! ( I get an error and that it is Unavailable ) :(

m.georgiiou@cytanet.com.cy

Thank you ,

Mike

This is the usual KZ file we all use in Google earth - showing airports normally

In this instance the 7 Photo bases -  are simply Points of interest and are of mainly Geographical Land class

structures - except for the ubiquitous Pyramids - are shown in the left hand box as the usual Position arrow

18 hours ago, HansAga said:

Can anyone please tell where the 7 photoreal areas are located ?

Missing that part in the description and manual.

Hallo Hans, the Google Earth link works for me (after installing Google Earth Pro on PC). I'm not sure if what I can see is what Orbx intended, but here is my interpretation of the sites, by country and feature:

1.   South Africa – Cape Town and Cape Peninsula

2.   Tanzania - Mount Kilimanjaro

3.   Kenya - Mount Silali (dormant volcano in the Rift Valley)

4.   Mali - Boni Mountain Rocks/Hand of Fatima?

5.   Namibia – Brandberg Mountain (means “fire mountain” due to glowing scarlet color at sunrise/sunset)

6.   Kenya –Nabuyaton volcano/Lake Turkana?

7.   Egypt – Giza Pyramids

19 hours ago, mikee said:

Hello Rob ,

Could you please send me the kmz into my email , because I am unable to download it from the forum ! ( I get an error and that it is Unavailable ) :(

m.georgiiou@cytanet.com.cy

Thank you ,

Mike

Just Received and downloaded the KMZ !! :) 

Thank you very much Rob 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:30 AM, Stewart Hobson said:

I've added labels for the 7 poi locations should anyone like to dl them.  See the attached.

Cheers!

Stew

Thanks Stew, I've flown around Cape Town again last night and don't think the photoreal area covers the city of Cape Town. The city itself only got the landclass treatment and while it is a huge improvement over default, a few imperfections remain, such as buildings in the water etc. Perhaps it will get the Orbx Cityscape treatment at some point?

The photoreal coverage is from Table Mountain all the way south, hence I think the label should only read "Cape Peninsula" - my mistake. Having visited the Cape area many times in real life, it is fantastic to see all the features along the peninsula perfectly represented without roads and bridges floating in mid-air or in the ocean, like with many other mesh and photoreal efforts.

In fact, I could follow the route of the Argus cycle tour perfectly (annual 109km race in early March, the world's largest timed cycling event, with over 30,000 participants). It brought back pleasant memories of cycling along beaches and breaking waves at Misty Cliffs as well as painful memories, cycling up Smitswinkel, Chapman's Peak and Suikerbossie (steep mountain passes). And yes, there are real-life penguins and wild baboons along the way, no lions! The area around Hout Bay looks fantastic, good job Orbx.

Cape-Town-Cycle-TOur-Map-2020_1.jpg

Archived