Only one country did land a BIG plane TWICE without fuel

Benny

It's Captain Robert Piché, right?  That's what I just read.  I only faintly remember hearing about the Air Transat flight, but I have watched a few docos several times about the "Gimli Glider".  

Edit: Actually I do remember now that there was an old episode of Mayday ( AKA Air Crah Investigations) featuring the Air Transat Crash.  Upon investigation on the internet I see that it was from season 1, episode 3.

Amazing, I just read that the Air Transat A330 landed doing "almost 300 miles per hour"!!!!.  That is a hard landing.  I suppose the mission in FSX where you need to glide to a safe landing after a dual engine failure might be based on this flight.  I loved doing that mission.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, Benny said:

All that because of bad fuel calculation

You mean canadian math teachers could need a little more training ;)?

3 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

the mission in FSX where you need to glide to a safe landing after a dual engine failure might be based on this flight.  I loved doing that mission.

Oh yes, I loved that mission, too.

I wonder why they felt the need to use the slides? Once it had come to a stop the drama would be over wouldn't it, just need a tug. In fact sliding on to the tarmac when there had been talk of a fuel leak doesn't sound a good idea.

Since this pilot is French Canadian the movie done on him and this flight was done in French... Canadian it is ;)

But Robert Piché commented positively on the movie and helped in the making of this one.

This is an interesting 10 minute before the landing taken from the movie (mostly in English)

Archived