Sinking Feeling...

PFS

So there I was... comin' around the northeast corner of the island of Capri (off the coast of Sorrento, Italy) in my A2A Cessna 182... when I discovered a sinking cruise ship!
I was able to make brief radio contact with the stricken vessel's captain, Capt. Merrill Stubing, and offered to send help...  and maybe a few Hollywood actors lookin' for some extra work.

As I passed overhead, I thought I heard a passenger on the ship yelling what sounded like "De plane! De plane!," I dunno...

Capri1.JPG

Capri2.JPG

Capri3.JPG

19 minutes ago, PFS said:

The SS Minnow was sailing nearby, and I thought about radioing its skipper to see if they could lend a hand... but it looked like he already had other plans.
image.thumb.png.185b0d4780b84d6377af33e6ecaee25b.png

I wont carp on but I knew there was something fishy involved here.:wacko::wacko:

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 5:25 PM, PFS said:

when I discovered a sinking cruise ship!

These sorts of things amuse me. :)

Do you happen to have the lat lon where the sinking occurred?  And do you have any scenery other than the default active?  Typically, a default AI ship or ferry that follows a route that was OK with default scenery may run into an obstruction added by a scenery package. But not always; sometimes it's a great mystery. On the other hand, a boat that ugly deserves to sink. :)

At least you were there to notify the authorities.

Hi Larry,

Good questions, and I should have added such specifics to my original post.

P3Dv4.5
ORBX Global; No additional scenery in the area (Italy)
LAT:  40° 33.62'
LON:  E14° 14.73'
ALT:  686 ft
Mag:  261°
Time and Season:  Summer / Day
8hr 9m 48s
Date: 6/20/2020

How did I end up here in Capri, Italy in the first place?
Whenever I start my computer (Windows 10), I get a photo splash screen of a geographically-interesting area in the world.  Yesterday, I got a splash screen of a beautiful scenic destination of the rich & famous... a high-cliff area along the shore of the island of Capri.  I always like to see what the area looks like in P3D, so I fired it (P3D) up and positioned my aircraft somewhere just off the coast of the island.   It defaulted to Winter and Dusk.  Not particularly liking the evening winter view, I changed the Time and Season to Summer/Day...  and somehow the date of 6/20/2020 appeared... and I went with it.   I flew about halfway around the island before I came across the sinking vessel, which had just left the shore, evidently.

I recreated my actions tonight, and came across the same sinking ship:image.thumb.png.891c01977ae8e674118a369b83429021.png

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:57 PM, PFS said:

I flew about halfway around the island before I came across the sinking vessel, which had just left the shore, evidently.

Hi guys,

Here's my guess: take a look at the attached pic showing the default ship and ferry routes in Google Earth.  I have marked roughly where the boats will stop. (They stop short of the end of a route.)  So chances are that stopping point is on land in the sim, either default scenery or add-on scenery. It's easy to check to see if it's default and it would not surprise me if a boat sunk on a default route. :) 

sinking.thumb.JPG.1caba0ac32e25b5a9265074368772c06.JPG

Archived