Clench

olderndirt

3 minutes ago, Smudger said:

They don't need orange balls Jack, the aim is to come in below them before touchdown :D

Below Smudger?  Really?  From the screen shot it looks almost like a game of limbo.  :o  If these wires are there in real life that presents quite the challenge.

I would love to see OND or someone else land below them.  This is very interesting to me as I have two sets of wires less than a mile where I live on both airports, and they have the orange balls on them and they look as low as these wires.

4 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Sorry Jack, that I can't confirm, it is at Clench Common, Marlborough, Wiltshire, I have never been there.

Thanks Smudger, hopefully someone that lives near there will clarify it.  If true I find it very odd that firstly they have the wires there in the first place and not underground in today's world, and second no orange safely balls on the wires.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Smudger, hopefully someone that lives near there will clarify it.  If true I find it very odd that firstly they have the wires there in the first place and not underground in today's world, and second no orange safely balls on the wires.

Those orange balls a just something to aim at.

First of all, fantastic shots OND!

They are very hard to make out, but if you zoom in on Google Earth, you can make out the power poles, and in some places you can make out the lines.  I do not see any balls though, and I agree it seems a bit dangerous if they are not present, considering the close proximity of the lines.  When viewing them first hand in the sim, the lines seem to be low enough to not pose a real risk.  BTW, the developer of the airport, Sandro, flies out of the airport in real life, so you can be sure he has made every effort to recreate every detail as accurately as possible.

z4m3Q8o.jpg

Cheers,

12 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

First of all, fantastic shots OND!

They are very hard to make out, but if you zoom in on Google Earth, you can make out the power poles, and in some places you can make out the poles.  I do not see any balls though, and I agree it seems a bit dangerous if they are not present, considering the close proximity of the lines.  When viewing them first hand in the sim, the lines seem to be low enough to not pose a real risk.  BTW, the developer of the airport, Sandro, flies out of the airport in real life, so you can be sure he has made every effort to recreate every detail as accurately as possible.

Brilliant sleuthing Scott!  How odd it is, maybe the locals who fly there know this.

4 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Picture this - flying down a wide holler off the Big Sandy River in Kentucky and up pops lots of orange balls at 2500 ft - power lines across the valley.  Never went back.

The lines and orange balls were that high off the ground?  Holy cow.  Could you have gone under them. What altitude were you?

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

The lines and orange balls were that high off the ground?  Holy cow.  Could you have gone under them. What altitude were you?

When I saw them they were at my altitude - corrected that.  Belated study of the chart revealed lots of info about them so it was pilots' beware.

Thank you guys!

I am very pleased NO ONE mention the three on final on 33... literally every person flying there or in there focus on the tree, you focus on the phone line which you cannot be at the same height unless you dive or go through the tree (which in real life isn't suggested as crash detection is always on :D ).

Obstacles are, as much as possible, with the precise height this is to ensure that the challenge of this airfield is well replicated, it is one of the most challenging in England really, even more so when there is no wind as your ground speed burn the 400mt runways faster than you want to :D also ORBX threes around the area are impressively all the correct height and those are there from TE, no need of MSFS2020 for it...

The satellite picture up here is not up to date either, as the farm area is as the scenery, there are minor changes however the scenery is accurate at beginning 2019 (the main difference is that the toilette isn't there anymore :D there is one inside the office, it will be updated don't worry ;)

Just FYI circuits are at 500ft QFE and overhead join at 1500ft they are all right hand except 15 which is left hand, in case of 15 and 07 also you CANNOT overfly the farm so in real life you have a very very short final available. With no wind you want to be at 55 kts over the threshold maximum with wind 60kts is fine... you really land on the edge of the envelop there, that's why if you learn there you can fly anywhere!

Below a video of mine of tree on final and phone lines, this is a bit old so the maintenance hangar wasn't there, nor the containers and the farm was still being cleaned and worked on! Aicraft is an Eurofox which is what I am currently flying still.

Have fun guys!

Archived