Speedbird 11 London-Singapore

Captain Lars

Gentlemen (and Ladies?), Speedbird 11 from Heathrow to Singapore is pushing back!

WagOPfZ.jpg

Taxiing to runway 27L. Hello Concorde. Such a cute little plane.

P7JiApl.jpg

Lineup...

hzIJLPu.jpg

On cruise level, we see some beautiful clouds over south-eastern England.

tovj7zi.jpg

It's already evening...

ZsgYUOw.jpg

...as we cross the North Sea...

BftP9JL.jpg

...only to find some seriously bad weather over Amsterdam! The Dutch must have summoned the bad weather because their airline celebrates its 100th birthday and they want all the attention for themselves!

tmGXOoU.jpg

Anyways, a nice scary extra for our paying customers.

JebZaNk.jpg

My theory over the cause of the bad weather is further supported as the weather shifts to a very cozy summer evening as soon as we cross the border into Germany.

E7bwC7j.jpg

Han(n)over. Origin of many British Monarchs and said to be the most dull town in Germany. I have never been there, though, so I might just as well be wrong! Sure Master Gerold has good expertise on the matter...

FWHZ7wz.jpg

I believe this is Hildesheim. Nice to find out where it's actually located.

RWgRJ63.jpg

The crazy capital city of Germany abeam and behind our 777. Thank goodness we are safe from ecologist terrorism at this altitude. The ICAO might as well issue a warning.

rZ903YI.jpg

Night is falling as we head further to the east.

fEEq7SV.jpg

Sleeping time!

55x5K2k.jpg

Hopefully the passengers had a good sleep...

gePO7Tf.jpg

...as the sun rises over Turkmenistan.

s0nwTLV.jpg

Another Stan.

30v0hTy.jpg

Paki.

raWoxe1.jpg

Stan.

IRcGp92.jpg

Some hours later we reach Phuket.

2wvvCtm.jpg

VAAVZXg.jpg

The 'Singapore Effect' materializes in front of our aircraft. What's this, you might ask...

nDWVw9R.jpg

THIS. The incredibly bad weather that is common around Singapore.

9IBEOVq.jpg

Our descent path resembles a mace.

I5zezg3.jpg

We managed to avoid the worst and thankfully, the weather closer to the aerodrome is better.

pNliMvm.jpg

The landing was fairly good! *clapclap*

XU9NQ3R.jpg

The passengers rejoice over the amazingly professional work of the pilots, as a certain stinky stench enters their noses, the proof of a composure somewhat capable of improvement.

pGaypOU.jpg

Thank goodness again we quickly reach the gate, opening the doors.

toQuvk7.jpg

The crew and passengers rapidly flee the scene, the crew to the hotel, some passengers to the rest room, leaving the cleaning personnel with the thankless task...

Uq6zTbE.jpg

Bye bye, 777! See you soon, freshly cleaned!

eJHU4PL.jpg

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Captain Lars -- wonderful narration of a wonderful trip. It was as good as being there, without the jet-lag and crowded seats. Thanks!

And without the stench not to forget. But not all passengers have equal faith. Thank you Rodger for joining us on the flight!

What a fantastic flight, Lars, and you were glad to arrive in daylight. We just landed there two times in darkness...

13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

as a certain stinky stench enters their noses

Surprising that the Durians already contaminated the cabin BEFORE opening the doors.

Han(n)over. Origin of many British Monarchs and said to be the most dull town in Germany.

Instead of "dull" I would say "underestimated". Lacking major attractions as Düsseldorf or Stuttgart have (have they any?) there are many good places, Bars and Restaurants in easy reach. Never forget the Herrenhäuser Gardens.

we are safe from ecologist terrorism

Do not forget Berlin even has an emission-free airport, that might compensate for the continous support of the Diesel cars.

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

What a fantastic flight, Lars, and you were glad to arrive in daylight. We just landed there two times in darkness...

Thank you Gerold, what can an airline hope for more than delivering a fantastic flight?

Surprising that the Durians already contaminated the cabin BEFORE opening the doors.

OK, I had to look that up. An interesting, alternative explanation to the obvious... :lol:

Instead of "dull" I would say "underestimated". Lacking major attractions as Düsseldorf or Stuttgart have (have they any?) there are many good places, Bars and Restaurants in easy reach. Never forget the Herrenhäuser Gardens.

You're completely wrong, Düsseldorf doesn't have any attractions at all. Seriously, I don't know why anybody would leave Wuppertal for Düsseldorf. But Hannover is OK, good!

Do not forget Berlin even has an emission-free airport, that might compensate for the continous support of the Diesel cars.

:lol: The people of Berlin never stop to make the world laughing, what a precious city that is.

7 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you for all the compliments, Jack. It took me "just" 12 h 18 min to complete this flight.

Wow, that is surprisingly short. You must have had quite some tailwind. We had 11:45 from Munich early Spetember...

7 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

The people of Berlin never stop to make the world laughing, what a precious city that is.

:D - though the airport non-construction probably is also influenced by many experts from all over Germany.

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That's awesome Lars, I've only done that once, it was with the PMDG 747 from LAX to Sydney.

That's another cool flight and even longer, I did some trans-pacific, too... I have to repeat that soon. :P

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Wow, that is surprisingly short. You must have had quite some tailwind. We had 11:45 from Munich early Spetember...

I had 13kn of tailwind according to the plan. I believe Munich could be half an hour less, that's about right. So you weren't that slow. There are no big Jetstreams along the way.

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

:D - though the airport non-construction probably is also influenced by many experts from all over Germany.

It is. Berliners are more proficient in colonial studies, gender studies etc. I mean, the important stuff. :unsure: ;) O0

Archived