National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Hawaii

andy1252

I was strangely moved by Jack's recent post with his visit to the Memorial Cemetery at the Punchbowl crater, and felt I wanted to visit it myself. I know it's just a bunch of pixels, but even so, I wanted to "go there".

So this was my trip. Just a short hop from PHNL.

IVoEZAn.jpg

GNxhOA2.jpg

Spotted a playing field just next to the grounds, so put down there, to do the rest of the trip on foot.

3xp0QxK.jpg

Up the hill I went

WotEvWn.jpg

zhojyc3.jpg

vFiwk7M.jpg

Round the bend and there it is, all laid out in front of me

2fdFAPx.jpg

7wNY1Bv.jpg

It really does look like a wonderful peaceful setting

swmXZpJ.jpg

LTFsOeT.jpg

4tcmiy3.jpg

I find such places immensely moving, in real life, and I got a twinge of that here in the sim. Beautifully put together in this scenery product, and confirmation that for me, simming is about the places I can visit. My thanks to Orbx for allowing me to visit.

Seeing your wonderful shots, I have totally decided that Honolulu is to be one of my Christmas gifts to myself this year.  (I always buy a little something, so I'm treating myself to Buildings HD and this for my present) (Birthday is a whole other story!  LOL  That's a car expense for next cruise season.  But anyway, before I rant on, well done and nice shots Andy.  You made Orbx a sale for this scenery!

On 9/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, JMBIII said:

Super post, Andy.

Thanks JMB, glad you liked it.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, wain71 said:

very good, nice flying to...

Cheers Wain, but to be honest, a certain amount of skew was needed (landing in one of those is a random act for me)

On 9/24/2019 at 4:52 PM, lifejogger said:

Excellent post and nice looking cemetery

Cheers John, and it does look nice, doesn't it?

On 9/24/2019 at 4:53 PM, patful said:

Lovely spot, but those flags are a little off. :D

Cheers Pat, not sure what you mean about the flags other than they weren't waving about much

On 9/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

Thanks Iain, and I hope all's well with you now

On 9/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

It's really nice Andy but it would have  been better during the day :wacko:

Thanks Jack, and have you considered taking those raybans off when you come back in from your hikes?

21 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Very moving, Andy. Thanks for letting us come along. A salute to you.

Cheers Rodger, and I know it sounds weird but I was quite moved when I first saw this site in Jack's original post. I guess a bunch of pixels on a screen are no less powerful than a photograph though, and I've certainly been affected by many of those over the years.

17 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

You made Orbx a sale for this scenery!

Thanks, 3Js, and I wonder if I can get some commission for that <grin>

8 hours ago, ftwd said:

Beautiful post and a beautiful idea

Cheers Nathan, it's got me thinking I might go and take a look to see what else of a similar nature I might find, maybe some of the WWI memorials for instance.

7 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Cheers Pat, not sure what you mean about the flags other than they weren't waving about much

Sorry about that, Andy. I'm a horrible perfectionist, possibly my greatest fault. :rolleyes: The flag is flown with the union (stars) by the flagpole. I think Orbx has the texture backwards.

4 hours ago, patful said:

Sorry about that, Andy. I'm a horrible perfectionist, possibly my greatest fault. :rolleyes: The flag is flown with the union (stars) by the flagpole. I think Orbx has the texture backwards.

Ah, I'd wondered about that myself. I'm a Brit and our flag is sort of omni-directional, but that sort of didn't look right in that I expect to see the stars on the left side of any representation but then the flag was obviously blown to the left so it jarred a bit for me.

8 hours ago, patful said:

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Ah, I'd wondered about that myself. I'm a Brit and our flag is sort of omni-directional, but that sort of didn't look right in that I expect to see the stars on the left side of any representation but then the flag was obviously blown to the left so it jarred a bit for me.

Thanks for pointing this out guys. It's the kind of mistake where we feel that something is wrong but we aren't able to figure out where and what.

It's just a detail, but not tolerable - especially in this place - and will be fixed, of course.

18 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It looks like Andy does what I do in P3D.....reduce the brightness. I am down at 0.60 at the moment.

I'm just wondering why.  It looks so dark to me, like flying in a total eclipse.  Maybe it's because your monitor is very bright and you want to tone it down?  Just curious is all.

58 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It looks like Andy does what I do in P3D.....reduce the brightness. I am down at 0.60 at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I'm just wondering why.  It looks so dark to me, like flying in a total eclipse.  Maybe it's because your monitor is very bright and you want to tone it down?  Just curious is all.

Folks, my settings are Brightness 0.6, Bloom 0.8, Saturation 0.9

It's how I like it. I take any of those numbers up much more and it just feels washed out to  me. My monitor is not particularly bright, but that setup works for me.

Archived