Spokane, WA to head of Columbia Gorge

Rodger Pettichord

Hi all. The ORBX Felts Field package is a great starting point for short flights in all directions. In this flight, I am going from Spokane on the eastern border of Washington State to Vantage at the head of the Columbia Gorge about halfway across the state to the west. It is a flight that covers both large-scale farming and large reaches of naturally dry scrub land. By car, the trip is desert-hot in the summer and snowy-cold in the winter.

ORBX Global/NA LC/PNW/Felts. P3D4. REX Sky Force real weather. Carenado AE500 Shrike.

Parked at Felts

5H6s0z8.jpg

Taxi at Felts

OGup1r0.jpg

Threshold at Felts. Orbx does a great job with the grass and asphalt here. Not much different from a real flight.

yh7WVgg.jpg

Watching a potential disaster at Felts. The King Air (upper left of screen) was cleared for the runway in front of us; the Cessna (landing lights upper left-center of screen) was cleared for the short runway behind us. Cessna kept drifting over behind the King Air and gaining. I thought I was going to see a real prang, but ATC called go-around for the Cessna as it became apparent he was not situationally aware. Whew!

8PUyD9C.jpg

Takeoff from Felts heading west.

tKy8LX5.jpg

Climb out over Spokane International west of Felts.

IEybfAN.jpg

West over wheat country.  Yes, it actually looks like this from the air. Good job, ORBX.

tCS2Ihw.jpg

Entering the dry-lands of central Washington.

gBOIQrs.jpg

Large-scale irrigated farming supported by aquifir and Columbia River.

IJjYudb.jpg

Coming up on Moses Lake. Japan Airlines used to use the facilities to the upper right of the screen for 747s and other big planes. JAL is gone now, but the facility is still used by private industry and government for long-runway work.

2KcqTWE.jpg

Leaving Moses Lake. The highlands of the Columbia Gorge are beginning on the horizon. This area is often very windy. Hence, wind-farms are arriving, especially west of the river on the highlands there.

PtadsiF.jpg

The head of the Columbia Gorge. Very hot in summer, very brutal in winter. But a great fossil site and sales-shop just across the river from this spot. The Vantage dirt landing strip is just off to the right. By the way, good luck identifying the strip when you arrive. Took me five passes to find it.

Pr7Rugq.jpg

Thanks for joining me.

25 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice narrative and shots Rodger, spoken like a true writer.  And that departure shot, wow, I love it.

Appreciate it, Jack. But we all know who the real screenshot artists are around here. Us amateurs just follow you guys around in envy.

24 minutes ago, BradB said:

Love the clouds and shots Rodger . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks, John. It was real weather, which meant kind of dark and kind of hazy. Came out better than I feared.

4 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Nicely done Roger.  I knew a lady at the McGrath AK FSS who had been a four engine bomber instructor at what was then Moses Lake AAFB during WW2.

That's pretty cool, OND. She was one busy lady in those days. Moses Lake was a major training location. Lucky you to get to visit with her!

24 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Appreciate it, Jack. But we all know who the real screenshot artists are around here. Us amateurs just follow you guys around in envy.

Thanks, John. It was real weather, which meant kind of dark and kind of hazy. Came out better than I feared.

That's pretty cool, OND. She was one busy lady in those days. Moses Lake was a major training location. Lucky you to get to visit with her!

Visit? - I worked with her and received a lot of good flying tips :).

9 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed your flight and  comments Rodger and the shots were excellent.

Thank you, John. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

5 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful trip and narrative Rodger. Love your plane. Well done.:)

I appreciate your kind comments, flyingleaf. Thanks!

5 hours ago, RichardLouis said:

A nice set Rodger. A beautiful place !

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Central Washington is geologically unique and visually fascinating. Glad you liked it.

4 hours ago, Dario said:

Wonderful flight. Rodger! Lovely scenery, route and aircraft!

Thanks, Dario. It was a fun trip to take. Glad you came along for the ride.

Archived