The Free[ware] French

Adam Banks

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the French resistance in the subject!

Here are some more French "freebies" for XP11 ... following on from TTM's excellent pics ... taken around Compton Abbas and the South Coast, TEGB:

Caudron-EGHA-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

Caudron-EGHA-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Late-Couere-EGHA-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Late-Couere-TEGBS-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Adam.

Great shots Adam.

It looks like you got the float plane going, [last shot]

Success has eluded me so far.

It loaded with 'anchor deployed' & I couldn't figure out how to jettison that.

Headed off but couldn't get unstuck from the water surface.

Did you do anything in the cockpit to get airborne?

TTM

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

7 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

It looks like you got the float plane going, [last shot]

Success has eluded me so far.

It loaded with 'anchor deployed' & I couldn't figure out how to jettison that.

Headed off but couldn't get unstuck from the water surface.

Did you do anything in the cockpit to get airborne?

I cheated (!). I already had the LateCoere loaded (at EGHA) and simply swapped planes .... then slewed vertically upwards to get airborne. I seem to remember reading (in the PDF manual, I think) that it was nigh-on impossible to take of in it in RL. I'll give it a proper try soon!

2 hours ago, Luquinhas said:

The first airplane is a charm! What is its name ? 

There are two variants: Caudron Simoun C-630 & C-635. All these amazing aircraft are available from http://xpfr.org.

Adam.

Some beautiful old planes Adam and some excellent images.

Flying is definitely the best option for getting from Bournemouth to Swanage at the moment as the ferry is out of action until at least October!:o

Not an XP owner yet, but if these kind of shots keep popping up I am going to pull the trigger, I'll be way behind the curve but maybe I can catch up in a couple of years! :rolleyes:   Excellent set of pics for sure Adam! :D

3 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Not an XP owner yet, but if these kind of shots keep popping up I am going to pull the trigger, I'll be way behind the curve but maybe I can catch up in a couple of years! :rolleyes: 

XP can be very different to P3D, but in many ways it's very much the same: you still have to do a fair bit of nerdy tweaking to get it to look its best. "Out of the box", both sims need a fair bit adding to them (in terms of visuals and functionality) hence the myriad of add-ons that bridge the gap.

I'd say that XP (with its newer code base) outperforms P3D by  a fair way, so if you have a tired old system (like mine) then you'll get a bit more mileage out of it. However - if you have a fairly decent system, I'd say hold out until we know a little more about the new MS 2020 thang. There again - it always takes the producers two years or so to get things right after initial release ... so we're looking at 2022 (!!!).

Though there's some really great freeware for XP (as above), are you quite happy to wave bye-bye to all those lovely add-ons you've spent so much hard-earned cash on? I tend to use P3D for "serious" flying" but XP for the pure fun of it (seeing as I enjoy the visuals so much).

Adam.

12 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

I cheated (!). I already had the LateCoere loaded (at EGHA) and simply swapped planes .... then slewed vertically upwards to get airborne. I seem to remember reading (in the PDF manual, I think) that it was nigh-on impossible to take of in it in RL. I'll give it a proper try soon!

There are two variants: Caudron Simoun C-630 & C-635. All these amazing aircraft are available from http://xpfr.org.

Adam.

I did get it off the water finally.

I think the lake was 10 miles long & I used 9.5.

It gets there, but is slow to build up speed.

Let it run full throttle along the water for as long as possible before easing in up elevator. Full up seems to slow it down.

TTM

5 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

XP can be very different to P3D, but in many ways it's very much the same: you still have to do a fair bit of nerdy tweaking to get it to look its best. "Out of the box", both sims need a fair bit adding to them (in terms of visuals and functionality) hence the myriad of add-ons that bridge the gap.

I'd say that XP (with its newer code base) outperforms P3D by  a fair way, so if you have a tired old system (like mine) then you'll get a bit more mileage out of it. However - if you have a fairly decent system, I'd say hold out until we know a little more about the new MS 2020 thang. There again - it always takes the producers two years or so to get things right after initial release ... so we're looking at 2022 (!!!).

Though there's some really great freeware for XP (as above), are you quite happy to wave bye-bye to all those lovely add-ons you've spent so much hard-earned cash on? I tend to use P3D for "serious" flying" but XP for the pure fun of it (seeing as I enjoy the visuals so much).

Adam.

Yeah, after hearing about the  MS2020, I have been very curious about it and certainly don’t need 3, 4 or 5 sims to contend with.  I like P3D most of the time when it behaves well and I can fly instead of tweak my hours away, and the money invested is another thing for sure.  So I may just hang loose for a while yet on XP!  Thanks for the input Adam! :)

Archived