My meeting with Nick Cooper

shermank

I had the good fortune for my wife and I to visit the historic city of York England. We had visited once before, but this time we had another purpose beyond mere tourism. I wanted to meet the Orbx Forum guru, Nick Cooper, who, lives in York.

a private message of inquiry led to his welcoming response.so, today May 20, we met Nick at our hotel, strolled the city, had lunch, and were together for more than four hours.

Nick has many interests beyond our hobby. We talked about his and mine, exchanged  stories about family and interests. Before we realized, the afternoon was almost gone. But, I want to share a picture of us together. We are in front of York Cathedral, a towering structure and a jewel in Europe’s medieval and earlier architectural history. Thanks, Nick. It was a delight to meet you outside of normal orbx forum business hours.

Sherm

5 hours ago, shermank said:

I had the good fortune for my wife and I to visit the historic city of York England. We had visited once before, but this time we had another purpose beyond mere tourism. I wanted to meet the Orbx Forum guru, Nick Cooper, who, lives in York.

a private message of inquiry led to his welcoming response.so, today May 20, we met Nick at our hotel, strolled the city, had lunch, and were together for more than four hours.

Nick has many interests beyond our hobby. We talked about his and mine, exchanged  stories about family and interests. Before we realized, the afternoon was almost gone. But, I want to share a picture of us together. We are in front of York Cathedral, a towering structure and a jewel in Europe’s medieval and earlier architectural history. Thanks, Nick. It was a delight to meet you outside of normal orbx forum business hours.

Sherm

Nicks's almost a local lad. I was born in Lancashire, but spent nigh on 40 years in the South! Indeed, my school nickname was Chip Butty (hence my poor pun, The_Common_Potato) - 'cos I come from t'North. (I'm channelling my inner Game of Thrones!). The school mate who is now Paul Young's (Where ever I lay my Hat etc.) record producer came up with the nickname.  It stuck.  I live in Scunny these days.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Yorkshire.

Great post Sherm!  I'm glad you guys had the privilege to meet each other, and I'm sure it was a great day.  One of the perks of flight simming is the great people we interact with online, and to meet such people in person can be even greater.

Maybe ORBX should organise a gathering so we can all meet up some time.

That's a very impressive cathedral in the photo too.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Stratocruiser said:

Thanks for that, Sherm. I am looking forward to meeting Nick in a couple of weeks, along with other members of our VA, DC-3 Airways while we are at Duxford for the 75th blow out.

Howard

Hi Howard, glad you are up and around again.. Nick  mentioned the Duxford group, which as you know, I am sadly missing by one day. I know he is looking forward to it. You will certainly enjoy his presence as I know he will enjoy meeting the DCA group.

sherm 662

Hello,

my thanks back to you both, Sherman.

You and your wife are the most charming couple and it was an absolute delight to

meet and spend the afternoon with you.

I am not so sure about handsomely dressed, but I'll take it with thanks :)

Nice! What I like the most on this picture, you can tell who is from the UK. :D The small compact umbrella. He knows this place, even on a sunny day, you always gotta be prepared for the rapidly changing weather on the island ^^

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

They are carried as insurance, if you have one, it does not rain and

indeed it did not.

Haha!! This is true across  many fronts....for example, in the Light Infantry world, when out in the field, if you put up a 'poncho hooch' to sleep under, then it most certainly will NOT rain. But, of course, if you choose NOT to erect a 'poncho hooch' you will most surely be awakened by rain drops hitting your face :) :D

Archived