Does my XP Heathrow look right?

Jack Sawyer

5 minutes ago, TerryM said:

Ground Equipment is Better Pushback.... it works great with the Zibo you're using and you can call it from the AviTab inside the plane, but that Zibo is just an awesome plane for the freeware, it blows me away how good it is for free. 

Landing Speed is a great way to rate your landing performance...You already have the other key ones..... VR Tweak, ASXP, UltraWeatherXP

Q8Pilot is a great guy, very informative, and for the Zibo, try FlightSimDeck... he's a 737 pilot testing and working with Zibo. 

By the way Jack, that Toliss A319 is very very good..... even better than I thought :)

Thanks Terry, I watched that YT but the real Airbus pilot who compared both.  He liked them each for different reasons and wouldn't give a recommendation, understandably.  But if I buy another 320 (I have Aerosoft's excellent A318-321 series) I'd buy the FlightFactor one.

But where do I get these two plugins you mention?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Terry, I watched that YT but the real Airbus pilot who compared both.  He liked them each for different reasons and wouldn't give a recommendation, understandably.  But if I buy another 320 (I have Aerosoft's excellent A318-321 series) I'd buy the FlightFactor one.

https://github.com/skiselkov/BetterPushbackC/releases

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/45734-landing-speed-plugin-xgs-reloaded/

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

He did, but he reviewed a very early release of the A319 and most of the things he identified have no been resolved

Regardless of which one you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, quality is getting better these days and we're spoiled for choice

4 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

this is Heathrow as i see it with TEGBS, for reference...

Thanks Craig, now that JJ sorted my ini file it shows like this.  But trying to learn the rhyme and reason of the way Laminar sorts things is baffling to me.

1 minute ago, TerryM said:

He did, but he reviewed a very early release of the A319 and most of the things he identified have no been resolved

Regardless of which one you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, quality is getting better these days and we're spoiled for choice

I read that somewhere that FF hasn't been updating it, not sure if this is true.  I just liked what I saw in the FF one.  Tough decision.  How would I find out if it's been updated as I can't contact them without buying it and inputting a serial number.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Craig, now that JJ sorted my ini file it shows like this.  But trying to learn the rhyme and reason of the way Laminar sorts things is baffling to me.

You're getting some pretty good results...... considering you're only one week into using XPlane

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I read that somewhere that FF hasn't been updating it, not sure if this is true.  I just liked what I saw in the FF one.  Tough decision.  How would I find out if it's been updated as I can't contact them without buying it and inputting a serial number.

That's the thing for me...... no update, but then FF have just released update to the 757/767, so maybe there's something planned for the A320

I don't use any tool for sorting the ini file; so just like we had to learn the sequencing inside FSX/P3D, we have to learn a little with XPlane.

If I remember right, Tony (the Xplane dev) posted a guide a while back.... I'm at work at the moment so I can't post details of my file, but definitely the samples posted in this stream are NOT correct and will result in in landmarks not appearing correctly; as you've experienced. If I remember when I get home after work, I'll PM you the links, otherwise a quick search against tony should get you sorted. 

1 minute ago, TerryM said:

I don't use any tool for sorting the ini file; so just like we had to learn the sequencing inside FSX/P3D, we have to learn a little with XPlane.

If I remember right, Tony (the Xplane dev) posted a guide a while back.... I'm at work at the moment so I can't post details of my file, but definitely the samples posted in this stream are NOT correct and will result in in landmarks not appearing correctly; as you've experienced. If I remember when I get home after work, I'll PM you the links, otherwise a quick search against tony should get you sorted. 

Thanks Terry, I'll wait for your links.

@Jack Sawyer FYI. My use of the word "simple" in my reply to an earlier post to you was in reference to the Layering Logic and not the technical nuances of XP or P3D. It refers to the "simple" logic of ground up to top/ top down to ground for scenery layering.Here is a useful link regarding that topic which should be helpful in reinforcing that logic and for future scenery layering.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/442579-understanding-scenery-order/

Many of these types of aspects are available in the XP manual and on the web. I know when I transferred my interests from P3D to XP it took a lot of web searching to understand the nuances of XP in contrast to P3D, but searching the web via a suitable Search Engine can help you glean a lot of information.

Everyone of course is more than willing to assist you and others in getting the hang of XP but the problem with seeking info on general forums is that you can get several different answers or theories which can lead to more confusion as to what advice to take. Take for example the Scenery.ini layering response. One person suggests using X-organiser, another suggests using the "simple" layering logic (me :D) and another says delete the .ini and let XP build a new one (that also sounds very similar to the P3D scenery cfg remedy).

To make it easier to understand and in answer to your question about "how do I know" what is what in a downlod. Airports are clearly defined as Airports and should be on the top of the scenery layer. Sceneries are clearly identifiable as Scenery  (similar to Cityscapes/Landmarks etc) and should be below Global airports. Mesh will be identified as Mesh and should be right at the bottom of the .ini

Hope the above is of some use to you.

JJ

jeez it's nice with xOrganizer to switch on & off files in a global map to actually see what is going on...

works great with Orbx TE...

works great with UHD Mesh V4...

works great with Spain UHD V2...

plus you can visualise all your installed airports - all on a map...

try doing that with your text editor...

i suggest JV springs Nick Cooper $10 to check out this product - it will save a 'world of pain' - however, you still need to know how to peruse your custom scenery pack .ini...

1 hour ago, craigeaglefire said:

jeez it's nice with xOrganizer to switch on & off files in a global map to actually see what is going on...

works great with Orbx TE...

works great with UHD Mesh V4...

works great with Spain UHD V2...

plus you can visualise all your installed airports - all on a map...

try doing that with your text editor...

i suggest JV springs Nick Cooper $10 to check out this product - it will save a 'world of pain' - however, you still need to know how to peruse your custom scenery pack .ini...

Thanks Craig and I'm still tempted, but it still doesn't solve how you know what goes where, despite all these helpful posts and links, I'm still baffled.  maybe it's just me.

11 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

yes, Q8Pilot is one of the good ones (amongst others)

this is Heathrow as i see it with TEGBS, for reference...

2048913561_EpicE1000HeathrowwithTEGBSforOrbx.thumb.jpg.3e086f374c3e5f79752e045515891b93.jpg

So since I still don't see the Concord I think it's messed up.  Going to have to make sure the layering is correct and test again.

Hello Jack,

no one who does not own the Aerosoft version sees Concorde or indeed many of the other

features of that screen shot.

There is nothing wrong.

Perhaps you missed this:

i had had the added complication that I had also installed the payware Aerosoft Heathrow...

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

no one who does not own the Aerosoft version sees Concorde.

There is nothing wrong.

Perhaps you missed this:

Hi Nick, when I first installed XP I took off from EGLC and landed at EGLL.  I saw the Concord and thought it was pretty cool.

I don't have any other scenery installed but vanilla Laminar and all three Orbx TEGB's and some Orbx airports.  No Aerosoft scenery whatsoever.

But I did see it because I thought it was very cool at the time.

Hello Jack

I don't see it either.

Maybe mine is broken too.

It was not you who said you had the Aerosoft version.

Probably it is my imagination but EGLL does not

look the same to me as it did before the latest X Plane 11 update.

This is from a screen shot I posted before the update.

1.jpg

and now

2.jpg

So I guess that the update included a new EGLL version.

Ok fellas, I'm just about to buy ALL the rest of Orbx's stuff in the UK and Meigs and Broome.

So, once I have FTX install these will it mess up or require me to reorder my ini file?

Thanks, as I'm about to spend a couple hundred $.

Jack

PS: I appreciate ALL you guys' help!

10 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Ok fellas, I'm just about to buy ALL the rest of Orbx's stuff in the UK and Meigs and Broome.

So, once I have FTX install these will it mess up or require me to reorder my ini file?

Thanks, as I'm about to spend a couple hundred $.

Jack

PS: I appreciate ALL you guys' help!

It will alter your current by placing all your new installed addons at the top. All you need to do is attach a copy of the new ini and I for one will adjust anything that requires adjusting. It sounds though that you only have Orbx airports left to buy so in that case all the airports should be at the top of the .ini anyway, so in theory no adjustments required.

Remind yourself of the Layering sequence advised to you.

Airports (Orbx or any other non default one)

Global Airports

Landmarks ( like X-Plane Landmarks)

Scenery (like TEGB)

Libraries (like Orbx Library)

Mesh ( in your case not applicable)

The scenery.ini will always change when you add to the Custom Scenery folder. That is the job and purpose of the ini just like the Scenery cfg changes every time you add a new addon (scenery or mesh or Vector or ai traffic programme) in P3D. Remember in P3D that FTX Central gives you a Layering option and you have to ensure that all 3rd party airports are above FTX in the Scenery cfg.  XP is not really any different at all.

xOrganizer just gets better...

made my first Ortho4XP tiles - with overlays - of my rural home town - ZL17...

very satisfying flying over my house with photorealistic scenery I made...

just drop into Custom Scenery Folder & xOrganizer sorts it all out...

done this for me so far:-

Orbx GB TE complete with many airports

X-Europe 2.1

VFR Landmarks

Some Australian HD Mesh V4

all UHD Mesh V4

Spain UHD

Japan Pro

lots of Aerosoft airports

Couple of SFD airports

my Ortho4XP

just open xOrganizer - check the file tree - & close...

so far no manual intervention & making plenty of successful flights...

if I can do it @Jack Sawyer - so can you - as a newbie I would not lead an Orbx VIP astray!

& the big plus is you can check your scenery .ini & learn something...

best regards,

craig

5 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

It will alter your current by placing all your new installed addons at the top. All you need to do is attach a copy of the new ini and I for one will adjust anything that requires adjusting. It sounds though that you only have Orbx airports left to buy so in that case all the airports should be at the top of the .ini anyway, so in theory no adjustments required.

Remind yourself of the Layering sequence advised to you.

Airports (Orbx or any other non default one)

Global Airports

Landmarks ( like X-Plane Landmarks)

Scenery (like TEGB)

Libraries (like Orbx Library)

Mesh ( in your case not applicable)

The scenery.ini will always change when you add to the Custom Scenery folder. That is the job and purpose of the ini just like the Scenery cfg changes every time you add a new addon (scenery or mesh or Vector or ai traffic programme) in P3D. Remember in P3D that FTX Central gives you a Layering option and you have to ensure that all 3rd party airports are above FTX in the Scenery cfg.  XP is not really any different at all.

Thanks JJ, I’ll send it as soon as I am able.  I looked around Heathrow and all looked ok.

X-Europe 2.1

VFR Landmarks

all UHD Mesh V4

Spain UHD

Japan Pro

Couple of SFD airports

my Ortho4XP

if I can do it @Jack Sawyer - so can you - as a newbie I would not lead an Orbx VIP astray!

best regards,

craig

Thanks Craig.  Still undecided on this yet and far far away from ortho, don’t even know what ortho is yet.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:58 AM, Nick Cooper said:

no one who does not own the Aerosoft version sees Concorde 

ah - the Concorde - what a brilliant collaboration between Britain & France - a technological marvel...

i actually remember the maiden flight - in the early ‘70s it made to Australia - it actually treated us to a sonic boom over Melbourne...

was once at Heathrow - I always like to look at the arrival/departure screens - & there it was - Heathrow to New York - jeez I wished I could have been on that flight, that very day...

4 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

ah - the Concorde - what a brilliant collaboration between Britain & France - a technological marvel...

i actually remember the maiden flight - in the early ‘70s it made to Australia - it actually treated us to a sonic boom over Melbourne...

was once at Heathrow - I always like to look at the arrival/departure screens - & there it was - Heathrow to New York - jeez I wished I could have been on that flight, that very day...

When I was living in the UK every time I went to London I'd see them landing and departing, it was magnificent.  Then here at KATL they had a round the world charity flight, all activity stopped in Atlanta over this, it was awesome.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:10 AM, craigeaglefire said:

X-Europe 2.1

VFR Landmarks

all UHD Mesh V4

Spain UHD

Japan Pro

Couple of SFD airports

my Ortho4XP

best regards,

craig

Can xOrganiser control the loading of scenery like Simstarter NG does in P3D?

Looking for something in XP that would let me load say just TE GB South, thereby leaving the rest of the world behind & hopefully taking the strain off the PC = quicker load, better fps. Hopefully:)

TTM

Each of the different scenery packs can be enabled/disabled with one easy click...

Also, I believe can have sets, like SimStarter, but personally have not done that yet...

imo, it is a must have utility & has a very good GUI...

Thanks

I found it after I got the spelling correct:)

Looks to be a lot of utility for the price & I think it will do the scenery parsing requirement.

Will give it a go.

TTM

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

When I was living in the UK every time I went to London I'd see them landing and departing, it was magnificent.  Then here at KATL they had a round the world charity flight, all activity stopped in Atlanta over this, it was awesome.

We had an Air France version come to Anchorage - took a couple of loads of VIP's out to pop champagne and feel the mach.  What surprised me, watching from the tower cab, was how small it was taxiing past a 747.

6 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

We had an Air France version come to Anchorage - took a couple of loads of VIP's out to pop champagne and feel the mach.  What surprised me, watching from the tower cab, was how small it was taxiing past a 747.

It is small like that but it has some long legs!  I loved seeing the one at Duxford.  

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

wish i was there - very cool!

15 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

lucky you!

best of the best aviation technology - way ahead of it's time...

some shots of my original hometown using IMGUR (thanks for confirming screenshot sharing @Jack Sawyer - my first attempt)...

ASXP with High Performance cloud textures & XVision Renault & some Ortho4XP ZL17 sorted with xOrganizer...

NaT7ami.jpg

HElaoNY.jpg

a newbie learning the ropes...

file management is an absolute must for flight sims in 2019!

jeez i wish i had Orbx CityScene Sydney - so will have to make do with my own at the moment...

best regards,

craig

22 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

the scenery map is brilliant for learning graphically what each component does...

would love your feedback...

best regards,

craig

It may be a few days Craig.

My BP meds were doing their job, then a factory in an unnamed country somewhere in the East was found to have lax QC & impurities of dubious origin got into the tablets & they were pulled from the market here. Which is a real P.I.T.A because I have tried 3 replacements, all of which knock me on my back & give me insomnia and other delightful side effects.

When  I get stabilised I'll certainly use xOrganiser  & let you know what I think.

TTM

Archived