V4.4 questions... me dum :-)

Benny

Hey guys, I never did a client update, I have read about everything now and still have a question

I am on V4.3 now (full install last time)

After reading Hellen post I see that:

5) Updating the Content component

Note: Both the Content and Scenery component's are Optional Updates

So I can onlly just do the client part?

She also talk about addon like chasseplane, ASN... and so on may need a update.

Should I check if they are ready for 4.4?

Many thanks

Ben

To add to Nick's post (yes Chaseplane will be fine), you may want to upgrade the *Content* as you'll get the old but still excellent CS C-130 Hercules for free.

As regards the scenery update, the upgrade only affects a few odds in pretty remote areas - nothing much to worry about.

Adam.

Beware, if you update content  from 4.3 to 4.4 you will lose the Beech KingAir and Beechcraft and the Bonanza, due to some licencing issues between LM and the makers.  Do a back-up of these aircraft before updating and then you can copy them back into the airplanes folder once the update is complete.  The update will also give you a new Aero Commander.

Nigel

Vancouver

You don't need to update Scenery though, there are only minor updates in there, Content (for the new aircraft) and the Client should be fine.

As the guys above say, if you update Scenery, it will replace the default textures, so you will have to reload FTX Global again and any other addons you have that deal with the default textures. Obviously it's a significantly large download, and a time consuming process to install 4.4 Scenery and FTX Global base again, for what will probably be zero noticeable gain in the sim if you already have FTX Global Base installed in your current version.

Ultimately it depends on your internet speed and your levels of patience I guess. :)

Terry

Thank you all, so I will only update the client because I don't care about any "stock" plane.

I have never use any stock plane since... I can remember :D

What I want is the new PBR for my QW 787.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

For the record......I recently updated from P3D v4.3 to P3D v4.4 because I purchased Digital Design EGGP Liverpool, and the PBR textures were not displaying properly. However, updating the Client did not solve the problem. I also had to update the Content for those textures to be rendered correctly.

Christopher, this is a very useful information you give here and it seems to me that not many, including developers of addons using PBR, are aware of this fact. Funny enough that it is not even mentioned anywhere over at LM forums. Somehow this fact needs to be shared to the community, I already started this by opening a corresponding thread in the LM forums. Otherwise, support forums will be flooded as soon as developers start to release PBR updates...

• 3 months later...

Well, I was not fully correct re retrieving the Bonanza; apparently there are several gauges for the Bonanza in the P3D gauges folder which were removed during my upgrade to 4.4.  So the aircraft is there and flies, but I cannot operate the GPS etc, it is blacked out since its gauges have gone.

Question - can I uninstall 4.5hf client and content, re-install my day 1 original client and content, recover and save all the Bonanza files, uninstall the original client and content then re-install 4.5hf client and content to bring me back to where I am right now.

Nigel

Vancouver

Unfortunately no response required - I don't have the content for an earlier version, only my original full download and it not worth the risk doing a full re-install for the sake of one aircraft.

Nigel

Nigel, you rather get yourself a payware copy of one of the many Bonanza variants for P3Dv4.x over on a sim market place. Saves you a lot of hours re-installing for the sake of some dollars. If you want to try something new, the V-tail Bonanza of A2A would provide you anyway a waaaay more realistic and rewarding experience than the P3D default Bonanza... Or, you simply get the Carenado one from the shop, this is then basically the same as you had before.

Thx Nick, helpful advice as always.  It had not registered on me that unzipping the full file broke it into its components.

I am a retired engineer and trained in problem solving – that’s what I like about computers and the great sense of achievement when I succeed. Even feel like screwing it up sometimes to solve it!!

I normally fly the Majestic Dash8, the QW BAe146, the Aerosoft Twin Otter and Milviz single otter – the Bonanza seemed a nice change from the FSX Cessna- so I might have a try getting it back.  I rarely fly the big iron, it consumes too much time getting from A to B, although CYVR to KSEA is a nice short flight.

Thx you three for your suggestions.

Nigel

Vancouver

I did it!! 

Re-installed 4.0 with client and content, extracted the various files needed for my missing aircraft, then re-installed client and content back to 4.51, copied my aircraft into the P3D airplanes folder, and it is flying as should be.  Back-ups have been made incase something like this happens again!

Thx for all your help

Nigel

It's always great to hear a success story. These sims can be a hard beast to tame, sometimes! By their nature, support forums like this tend to overstate technical problems - while those of us lucky enough to avoid the gremlins are too busy enjoying the sim to post here! Not including screenshots, that is - always great to see B)

Archived