Airports for the forthcoming Open LC Africa

Rongor

If you wait for the nearing release of openLC Africa as eagerly as me, you are probably also on the lookout for some African destinations and therefore airport sceneries, which may then serve as points of entry for your upcoming ventures into this great continent.

Recently the number of destinations for P3Dv4 is increasing steadily and with gaining momentum, which is growing excitement towards the oLC Africa release even stronger.

Looking up the usual scenery vendors, I so far found:

DTTJ, Djerba, Tunisia

DAAG, Algiers, Algeria

GMAD, Agadir, Morocco

GOBD, Dakar, Senegal

GBYD, Banjul, Gambia

GABS, Bamako, Mali

DGAA, Accra, Ghana

DXXX, Lome, Togo

DNAA, Abuja, Nigeria

FACT, Cape Town, South Africa

FAOR, Johannesburg, South Africa

HECA, Cairo, Egypt

HESH, Sharm El-Sheikh

HEGN, Hurghada, Egypt

HDAM, Djibouti

The eastern coasts are yet to be discovered, though there are some island bodies available in the eastern vicinity of the Indian Ocean:

Mauritius

Réunion

Seychelles

Let's hope for a soon release!

Three 'Lite' versions on the way from FSDG:
DTNH - Enfidha–Hammamet Int'l
GMMN - Casablanca Mohamed V Int'l
HKJK - Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Int'l

And an alternative to the two already released versions of FAOR - Johannesburg, is the anticipated one by new developer South World Scenery.

There's also a decent freeware HAAB - Addis Ababa Bole Int'l from whitedotsim.

3 hours ago, Rongor said:

Let's hope for a soon release!

Yes! I'm looking forward to doing many more flights across the continent as soon as OLC Africa is released.

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Airports for the forthcoming Open LC Africa

Thanks for the list, really appreciate it!  I was not aware that so many major hubs are exists for Africa since the continent was pretty much ignored from every big developer (orbx, aerosoft, Flytampa etc.)

I hope that OLC Africa will be a success sales wise, since it should have like a monopoly for scenery content. Maybe that ORBX is motivated to bring even more content, would love to see Johannesburg citescene and/or Cape Town, since they have both a beautiful skyline and scenery. Cape Town with high mountains in the background.

Besides South Africa which is already a magnificent land with very unique landscapes the whole continent Africa offers almost everything. Huge deserts, thickest jungles, bush land, tremendous amounts of grassland, steppe and of course high mountains with Kilimandscharo for example. And almost every climate zone in the world.

There is more to discover here than anywhere else. (Okay maybe OLC Asia with Himalaya etc. Please bring that next UK is boring ;):D)

For me OLC Africa is probably the most interesting release of all time here, because I never was there in real life, and probably wont in the near future. Plus Africa in real life is sooo big & in many places very unsafe to travel there like in the US, Asia or Canada or so. So almost impossible to travel the whole continent without excessive planing & contacts.

Johannesburg:

9b7b16ee05a5749f15bb5beadb686ca35f5cb1c8.jpeg

Cape Town:

kapstadt-skyline-55e0804c-2cd0-445e-bb2a-bb6a138bce4e.jpg

I could imagine there are quite some problems with access to the airports in Africa? I remember some comments by various developers, for example Aerosoft, who proudly announced JNB, began development just to learn that they would never get access to the airside to take photos a year later and to announce the cancellation of the project. While that certainly wasn't a very wise plan to develp an airport, it seems hard to produce them, right?

I would love to fly over the savanna, for example in South Africa, but that would only make sense if there were some more atmospheric airfields in one specific area. And I don't only mean the big hubs. For example, I've been to South Africa (and Namibia) twice, and I found an amazing, exotic landscape and atmosphere that I never saw before. If such things could ever be seen or felt in the sim, it would only make sense with an airport collection like for example Eastern South Africa/Kruger park with Nelspruit, Hazyview, Phalaborwa, Skukuza,... as more detailed airports. Or any other African country / area filled with quality airports. For the case of South Africa, unfurtunately there is only NMG for the smaller fields, which simply lacks quality too much. And I wouldn't know about any other African Country that has a virtual airport infrastructure even close to the PNW, California, Eastern Australia, Southern England (all ORBX), France (FranceVFR + LLH) Denmark (Vidan Design),... unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Mickel said:

I'd love a decent Addis Ababa.

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

What about this one?

It's nice that it was done at all. And not bad for freeware. But it's far away from the quality we are used to by ORBX, FT, FSDT, FB,... I would also appreciate a good HAAB. Really not a pleasure inside the real terminal, but still one of the most important hubs in Africa.

52 minutes ago, DeeJay said:

It's nice that it was done at all. And not bad for freeware. But it's far away from the quality we are used to by ORBX, FT, FSDT, FB,... I would also appreciate a good HAAB. Really not a pleasure inside the real terminal, but still one of the most important hubs in Africa.

Do you really only start flying in an area when someone brings you a "full fat" region? I'm sorry to hear that. I'd encourage Orbx anyday to bring a "full fat" Krüger National Park, Serengeti or Victoria Falls, but I have strong doubts that it's going to happen soon.

Regarding the quality of HAAB: it's already good. It's very good for freeware standards. He doesn't take any money for his work.

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Do you really only start flying in an area when someone brings you a "full fat" region?

No, it's not too much about a "full fat" region, but more about "airport density". That's why I spend more time flying in Denmark, Alaska, PNW, Eastern Australia,... than for example in Ireland or the Netherlands.

No need to feel sorry. ^_^ There are still a ton of destinations on my sim. Still I would appreciate a bit more life in Africa or South America.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:50 AM, HiFlyer99 said:

Thanks for the list, really appreciate it!  I was not aware that so many major hubs are exists for Africa since the continent was pretty much ignored from every big developer (orbx, aerosoft, Flytampa etc.)

I hope that OLC Africa will be a success sales wise, since it should have like a monopoly for scenery content. Maybe that ORBX is motivated to bring even more content, would love to see Johannesburg citescene and/or Cape Town, since they have both a beautiful skyline and scenery. Cape Town with high mountains in the background.

Besides South Africa which is already a magnificent land with very unique landscapes the whole continent Africa offers almost everything. Huge deserts, thickest jungles, bush land, tremendous amounts of grassland, steppe and of course high mountains with Kilimandscharo for example. And almost every climate zone in the world.

There is more to discover here than anywhere else. (Okay maybe OLC Asia with Himalaya etc. Please bring that next UK is boring ;):D)

For me OLC Africa is probably the most interesting release of all time here, because I never was there in real life, and probably wont in the near future. Plus Africa in real life is sooo big & in many places very unsafe to travel there like in the US, Asia or Canada or so. So almost impossible to travel the whole continent without excessive planing & contacts.

Johannesburg:

9b7b16ee05a5749f15bb5beadb686ca35f5cb1c8.jpeg

Cape Town:

kapstadt-skyline-55e0804c-2cd0-445e-bb2a-bb6a138bce4e.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, DeeJay said:

I remember some comments by various developers, for example Aerosoft, who proudly announced JNB, began development just to learn that they would never get access to the airside to take photos a year later and to announce the cancellation of the project.

Do you have any links to the discussion around this? What were the reasons for them not being able to get aerial photos, for instance?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, Tygerr said:

Do you have any links to the discussion around this? What were the reasons for them not being able to get aerial photos, for instance?

I can't find the forum thread anymore. I guess they deleted it after it has become worthless. As far as I remember they got aerial images, but they haven't been let in to the airside by the airport authorities to take photos from the ground. I don't know any further details. However exactly that company obviously had no problems getting in at EDDF where the Flightbeam developers haven't been let in at the same time. That's all I know. No idea what's behind such decisions..

At least Gaffer Simulation's rendition of FAOR, which came out some weeks ago, unfortunately doesn't look like it's based on real photos… neither does NMG's..

27 minutes ago, Herman Auer said:

Having resided on the African continent for many years, I can't wait for ORBX to release software!!! Please, please, please...

Don't worry, you're not the only one :P I've got a whole team of South African ATC's aching to receive some new pilots once openLC Africa releases :)

• 1 month later...

Including your replies and recent releases, here is the current list of explicit P3Dv4(-capable) payware airports for the African mainland and the Middle East (assuming the area will also be included):

clockwise around Africa:

GMAD, Agadir, Morocco

GMME, Rabat, Morocco

GMMX, Marrakech, Morocco (included in the Orbx freeware-collection, needs Global base, therefore rated payware for this matter)

DAAG, Algiers, Algeria

DTTJ, Djerba, Tunisia

HECA, Cairo, Egypt

HEGN, Hurghada, Egypt

HEMA, Marsa Alam, Egypt

HESH, Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt

HDAM, Djibouti

HTKJ, Kilimanjaro, Tansania

FACT, Cape Town, South Africa

FAOR, Johannesburg, South Africa

FKYS, Yaounde, Cameroon

FTTJ, N'Djamena, Tchad