EGFF mesh issue

Jon Clarke

I noticed on the XP11 3b forum a report of a mesh issue at EGFF and that it did not appear in v26. I looked and found it did in fact appear in both versions not just v3b4.I now think it is an Orbx issue and not an XP issue. I base  this on the fact that I have only Orbx TEGBS plus EGCB,EGHI and EGKA on my test install of v26. I have no 3rd party addon for EGFF, so I am assuming it is in the XP Global airports file.

Here is a pic of the raised shoreline on approach to EGFF.

Capture.thumb.JPG.acfbeac2e0cc662dba511591006bffc9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

@Nick Cooper @tonywob

I noted Nick's confirmation that the mesh issue at the coast off EGFF had been reported. I also reported I felt it maybe an Orbx issue. However, I have now just installed a further copy of XP v11.25 (not even updated it to v26) and the mesh problem is there. The pic I attach is XP11.v25 with absolutely no addons whatsoever in it. Pure vanilla I believe is the expression !

So I am concluding that this mesh issue is a XP issue and nothing to do with Orbx. I would like to know though whether Tony and his magicians would be able to rectify the problem with a "fix" or is it purely a Laminar problem that Orbx can't help with fixing? 

The is the pic:

Capture.thumb.JPG.cc0167d04d66ab26a405e018bed518f6.JPG

I am not seeing that issue. XP11 26 TEGB South EGFF

Fpf1iGo.jpg

Real life shot:

olv8dfu.jpg

If your a using XP Beta then you will get faults that are not related to ORBX and should be ignored by ORBX until the official release of XP 30

1 hour ago, jaydor said:

I am not seeing that issue. XP11 26 TEGB South EGFF

Fpf1iGo.jpg

Real life shot:

olv8dfu.jpg

If your a using XP Beta then you will get faults that are not related to ORBX and should be ignored by ORBX until the official release of XP 30

My last post and pic was from a vanilla v25 not a Beta. I am now updating the install to v26 and will make a comparison shot, hopefully like yours with no anomaly.

I have several XP installs and only one is following the Beta updates.

Just confirmed the anomaly appears in default scenery of XP.26 (without Orbx EGFF).

It is visible in my copy of v26 with TEGBS  with and without orbx EGFF 

I am now completely baffled as to why you don't have and I and some others do have the problem.

Can someone from Orbx advise as to where the problem lies?My pics are taken with ONLY Orbx addons, no other addon/mesh/library etc.

Pic 1= Default v26 scenery

Capture3.thumb.JPG.4c98176c65b1d15a85bf5fe265dc0c62.JPG

Pic 2= v26 with TEGBS & EGFF

Capture2.thumb.JPG.de59d034e31f486a5a70c5bb882b78e1.JPG

Pic 3= TEGBS without EGFF

Capture1.thumb.JPG.50aeed942251ad1b3770361e898d46a3.JPG

It look's more to be a graphics issue and not scenery.  As it is showing a magnified area of the beach.   Go to you main X plane root folder and look in the output folder, open the shadercache folder and delete the file or files inside.  Next time go to the same spot as the last shot and pause the sim.  Then go up to the Developer tab and select redraw scenery in the drop down.  Make sure you are using the latest Graphics software.  407.01 is the latest, also ensure it is 64bit and not32.  If it is still showing the same after that, then you need to clear all the cache areas in win10.

See this video to learn how.

I already have the latest driver which is 417.01 (not 401). Deleted the shader cache contents, deleted the Restore point and creates a new one. Paused tjesim, did the Redraw request.....no change at all.

You notice that this anomaly has been marked as "Noted" by Orbx, reported by others if you check Nick's response in this thread.

It is very similar to the problem reported at Newquay where there was sea running up the cliff:

Count yourself as fortunate you are not seeing it for some reason whereas others are:)

Well I am at a  loss now as to why I am seeing this in v26

BuKOIgu.jpg

Here is my total/complete  scenery.ini showing i have nothing in the Custom Scenery that would be affecting any mesh. You can see it is only Orbx except for the default Aerosoft airports.  I wish Orbx would chime in here as I and others want to know if it is a user error or XP or Orbx anomaly.

1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK H:\X-Plane11 ORBX\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_EGFF_A_Cardiff/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK H:\X-Plane11 ORBX\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK H:\X-Plane11 ORBX\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK H:\X-Plane11 ORBX\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK H:\X-Plane11 ORBX\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/

1 hour ago, jaydor said:

Try taking your ORBX scenery off the H drive and place it in the same drive as your main X Plane folder.  The lag from the H drive maybe causing it.  No harm in trying that out.

Beat me to it!

Also jjaycee1 try creating a symbolic link from your H: drive back to your X-Plane Custom Scenery folder and see if that fixes it.

10 hours ago, jaydor said:

Try taking your ORBX scenery off the H drive and place it in the same drive as your main X Plane folder.  The lag from the H drive maybe causing it.  No harm in trying that out.

I am in the process of doing your suggestion but remind you that I have shown a pic of the default XP scenery with the anomaly which negates any "lag" theory as the scenery is on the same drive as XP. It is definitely a mesh type related problem or flattening/exclusion thing ( I am not technically savvy in that field!)

Here is another pic of the default XP scenery where you can clearly see a rise of the water to form a cliff. It is not an angle illusion it is a definite rise of the coast line to form a cliff of water. In this pic there is absolutely no addon whatsoever just the basic v26 install.

Q8wHG4P.jpg

And finally here is the pic with TEGBS and ONLY that, in the Custom Scenery folder of XP11.26. No shortcut or simlink, actually installed.

@tonywob Hi Tony. When you get a free moment would you please let me know if the anomaly is real and related to orbx or XP, also as to why some see it and some don't, and finally can you fix it for those of us who do see it? It must have been acknowledged as existing since it was reported by others and officially marked as "Noted". Does "Noted" mean it is agreed there can be a problem for some users?

Sc2nhlQ.jpg

This isn't an ORBX bug but a quirk of how X-Plane flattens the mesh and it happens at many other airports around the world. You'll have exactly the same problem on the default scenery using the default airport.

The only way to fix this problem for the default airport is to disable the flattening at EGFF as I did with the Newquay patch using WED (Laminar Research's WorldEditor). You can open the airport in WED and disable the "Always Flatten" option for the airport and this will resolve the problem. I'll post a patch up for the default airport when I can.

9 minutes ago, tonywob said:

This isn't an ORBX bug but a quirk of how X-Plane flattens the mesh and it happens at many other airports around the world. You'll have exactly the same problem on the default scenery using the default airport.

The only way to fix this problem for the default airport is to disable the flattening at EGFF as I did with the Newquay patch using WED (Laminar Research's WorldEditor). You can open the airport in WED and disable the "Always Flatten" option for the airport and this will resolve the problem. I'll post a patch up for the default airport when I can.

Thank you so much Tony :) It has been baffling me since I re-reported the anomaly. I also thought it was just like the problem at Newquay which you resolved.

Thanks to @jaydor for his attempts at assistance. 

What I don't understand still is why jaydor and Scott Harmes don't see it.

1 hour ago, britfrog said:

I had exacty this problem using my own conversion of orbx cardiff  for fsx,  however when i bought the new cardiff and re-arranged the layers i no longer have this issue

I guess you're right. It's a bit of laziness on my part.

I settled for the simple installation of FTXCentral, but soon I will concentrate on rearranging the layers.

Thank you mate.

@tonywob Tony, you mentioned you would do a fix when you got a moment, but looking at the fix you did for Newquay, you said there that if we had an addon for Newquay then your fix may not work.

Well in regard to EGFF I do have an addon, that addon is Orbx EGFF. So my question is will your upcoming fix for the default EGFF airport work with the Orbx addon?

Also please explain why not all people have the anomaly I and others see when we have identical installs. In my case ONLY Orbx EU XP airports and TEGBS ( + London Landmarks)

So to clarify, if you provide a fix and I use the Orbx EGFF I will still have the water cliff and nothing will change? Will the removal/untick of the Always Flatten in Orbx EGFF not work either? It looks like we will always have a cliff of water then. BUT some people don't and that is what I cannot understand and has never been explained.

12 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Correct, it's related to the airport. So if someone has another Newquay installed, it won't work. 

@Greg Jones Can you advise on what is going on with Cardiff, it seems the flattening is still not working for some people?

So to clarify, if you provide a fix and I use the Orbx EGFF I will still have the water cliff and nothing will change? Will the removal/untick of the Always Flatten in Orbx EGFF not work either? It looks like we will always have a cliff of water then. BUT some people don't and that is what I cannot understand and has never been explained.

@Greg Jones  @tonywob Please respond to this ongoing query.

Just to clarify: The problem of the "cliff of water" is in all 3 variants of install of XP from Default scenery with default EGFF, default scenery with orbx EGFF and even more exaggerated with TEGS South + Orbx EGFF. All scenarios are covered in the numerous pics already posted above.

Also please explain why some see this anomaly and some don't? To me it is illogical if we all have TEGSS and Orbx EFGG. The mesh included in one of the TEGBS files certainly exaggerates the issue. The problem needs rectifying or if not possible to rectify then a warning of the probable anomaly should be noted with either or both TEGBS and Orbx EGFF.

I look forward to a positive response.

Many thanks.

At the moment we're at a loss as to why you're still getting this cliff. I don't have it using EGFF and TE GB-South, as don't many others. The problem is that something is overriding the "Always Flatten" option for EGFF and enabling it. With that option switched off, it won't happen.

In the "General" tab of the X-Plane settings, make sure "Runways follow terrain contours (requires scenery load)" is checked. If it isn't, check it, and restart the sim.

If this still doesn't work, then can I suggest also posting your full "log.txt" file here from your X-Plane folder

Just to confirm, this is the issue:

In the "General" tab of the X-Plane settings, make sure "Runways follow terrain contours (requires scenery load)" is checked. If it isn't, check it, and restart the sim.

When I disable this option in X-Plane, the cliff of water comes back. So this is likely why some people have it and others don't

2 hours ago, tonywob said:

Just to confirm, this is the issue:

When I disable this option in X-Plane, the cliff of water comes back. So this is likely why some people have it and others don't

Tony you are the genius of XP. I no longer have the water cliff at EGFF. Unfortunately I now have a small hill in the last 1/3rd of the runway at EGBS my local airfield, but I will try and deal with that!!!!

I want to thank you sincerely for the taking the time out to analyse the issue and resolve it. I know you are very busy with TEGBS SP1 and TEGB Central (I HOPE)

I will pester you no more:)

• Nick Cooper changed the title to EGFF mesh issue

Archived