Short Tour of the Cotswolds

Nigelhj

When aged 15 I started work in the Cotswolds speding around 2 years there before deciding to join the RAF.

Have not been down there for a good many years so as Orbx released TE South I could not resist taking a flight down memory lane.

Took off from Gloucester Airport flying the Cessna 172 and from my road map (yes, I do have a road map as well as a satnav I'll have you know) and flew VFR to:

Little Rissington, a former RAF Base which was an advanced flying training station and home to Geoffrey Wellum (First Light) whilst learning on the Harvard prior to his posting to No 92 Squadron and of course the station was well known as home to the Red Arrows when they had the Gnats.

ZrZ1sieh.png

From Little Risssington I flew down to Bourton-on-the-Water famous for its' model village and also the Birdland park and Gardens, I spent about six months working at the Manse Hotel and used to wander around the model village and Birdland when not on duty, always a busy village but quieter during the winter months. Looking to the top of the village the road that runs left to right is the Foss-way.

3ppAj6Mh.png

From there I flew along the Foss-way to Stow-on-the-Wold, one famous saying of the village is 'Stow-on-the-Wold where the wind blows cold' and I can tell you it certainly did as it stands on a 800ft hill!!

This is where I spent 18 months working at the Talbot Hotel situated in the square, (there was and maybe still is) the stocks and once, as a joke, members of the staff locked me in them and left me for a good few hours!!  The Talbot Hotel was named after the Talbot dog which is now extinct and we had 2 quite large statues of them in the dinning room made out of porcelain.  Yo-betide any of us if we broke them!! 

sZhB9W8h.png

From Stow I  lflew to what used to be the Langstone  Carriage Stables in Kingham which was run by Ian McCauley,  he had a collection of carriages including a stagecoach using it for weddings and once took part in a documentary by ATV 'Following the Fossway'.  On my time off from work I used to go and help clean out the stables and often was rewarded by being able to take out one of the horses for an hours ride along the country lanes by myself.  I did have my favourite horse which was called Silver Boy a half Arabian and he used to love to gallop and you could feel him straining to go as soon as we got onto the grass.  There was one occasion whilst riding one horse that was known as LB, short for Lazy Boy.  How true that was for he would not even trot but was quite happy to take a leisurely stroll, that is until one day when I had resigned myself to a boring ride a tractor backfired in a field.  I tell you now, that bl**dy horse literally flew!!

If you look at the picture, on the right of the railway bridge is where Langston Carriage Stables used to be, I think it is now an old peoples home.

ghyHUbvh.png

Finally (now you can breath a sigh of delight....nearly there....nearly finished) over to Moreton-in-the-Marsh, used to go there a few times as my sister once worked at the Manor Hotel situated along the main road (Foss-Way) before joining B.O.A.C. as an air stewardess. 

In the foreground you can see the remains of an RAF Station which is now used by the Fire Service College as a training base. It is also believed that this Former RAF Base inspired the title of the radio show Much Binding in the Marsh.

ZVtpgJM.png

Finally back to Gloucester Airport.

umHbaeOh.png

Regards

Nigel.

What planes did you fly on with BOAC. My first flight was 60 years ago in one of their magnificent DC-7Cs.

Hi VH-KDK  I didn't, my sister joined B.O.A.C in around 1968 whereas I started work in 1967 at the Talbot Hotel.

She started flying on the VC10 before joining the 747 Fleet.  I did once apply for cabin staff when it was BA and got an interview up in Manchester but by then I had met my future wife so did away with any thought of flying.  

Glad you enjoyed the pictures and story and many thanks to all for your kind comments.

Regards

Nigel.  

Archived