Correct order of Orbx TE GB entries in scenery_packs.ini

John Venema

17 hours ago, Admiralty013 said:

Hello JV,  if i may, i'd like to make a suggestion in regards to AIRPORTS and only airports.  The current naming standards that XP uses is ICAO - Airport common name.  Those of us who make/improve/download gateway files are used to using this format, and many (not all) designers use it as well would it be possible (*yes i'm sure it will be a pain in the rear) to swap the naming of AIRPORTS ONLY to follow that format?   While I fully understand asking us to not rename folders since it will cause issues it would be nice to have a single standard used when it came to airport scenery.  As an example I've cut a bit of my ini out this is a Gateway scenery, an AS scenery, 2 Orbx and finally one from SFD (MrX6) Using this format would maintain the prexisting format, yet allow for your automatic updating.  And again i'd like to mention this is for airports and airports only having Orbx in front of TE and other non airport scenery is fine because it groups them together and if a manual adjustment of the ini is needed makes for an easier time in locating them.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EGPF - Glasgow International/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EHAM - Amsterdam Intl/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EIDW - Dublin_1_Volumetric_Grass/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EIDW - Dublin_2_Parked_Cars/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EIDW - Dublin_3_Street_Lights/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EIDW - Dublin_4_Roads/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EIDW - Dublin_5_Scenery/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ENHA - Hamar_Flyplass Orbx/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ENOV - Orsta_Volda Orbx/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KABQ - Albuquerque Intl Sunport/

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I have passed this onto Tony and the team for consideration. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think the most annoying thing about it is always having to move things around when you add something new. Why cant you just add the new one and have it automatically put in the right order? Is this to do with the flight sim itself or something else? is there any utils out there other then xorganizer which would sort it out or can ORBX develop a tool for this if it is possible? If we could just add or install the new scenery or library or terrain and not have to fiddle around life would be a lot easier :) 

Colin

I figured out what my problem was and this may help some of you out there so if you have Europe V2 and VFR objects they need yo be below the orbx files like the following

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_Africa/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_America/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_Antartica/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_Asia/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_Australia-Oceania/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_Forests_Europe/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_VFR-Aerials/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-1-extras/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-2-scenery/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-3-network/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/VFR-Objects_GK_+47+007__+48+007_D_Schwarzwald West  2.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/VFR-Objects_GK_+47+008__+48+008_D_Schwarzwald Ost  2.0.2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/VFR-Objects_GK_+47+009_D_Konstanz 2.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/VFR-Objects_GK_+47+010_A-D_Nordalpen Part 2 Fuessen 2.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/VFR-Objects_GK_+47+011_A-D_Nordalpen Part 1 Innsbruck 2.0/

my problem was the simhaven and VFR objects were on top of the ORBX files and this is why I couldn't get it working in the right order but it is all good now and working well.

Colin

• Like 1

So, I've ordered the scenery as directed, and I'm getting some London scenery such as the Gherkin, Tower Bridge and Parliament, however Shard doesn't appear, the Dome is replaced by a flat topped autogen building in it's shape and the same for Wembley and the London Stadium (Olympic). My settings sliders are where Orbx advised them to be on another thread. Is there anything else I'm not doing right that's causing this?

On 10/18/2018 at 12:07 PM, flyguy737 said:

I think the most annoying thing about it is always having to move things around when you add something new. Why cant you just add the new one and have it automatically put in the right order? Is this to do with the flight sim itself or something else? is there any utils out there other then xorganizer which would sort it out or can ORBX develop a tool for this if it is possible? If we could just add or install the new scenery or library or terrain and not have to fiddle around life would be a lot easier :) 

Colin

xOrganizer is your tool.

11 hours ago, Duane Hewitt said:

So, I've ordered the scenery as directed, and I'm getting some London scenery such as the Gherkin, Tower Bridge and Parliament, however Shard doesn't appear, the Dome is replaced by a flat topped autogen building in it's shape and the same for Wembley and the London Stadium (Olympic). My settings sliders are where Orbx advised them to be on another thread. Is there anything else I'm not doing right that's causing this?

Make sure the X-Plane Landmarks-London file is above the TE Great Britain South A, B and C files in your .ini file and you observe the undernoted link from John Venema as per scenery order.

Edited by Ian S

2 hours ago, Ian S said:

Make sure the X-Plane Landmarks-London file is above the TE Great Britain South A, B and C files in your .ini file and you observe the undernoted link from John Venema as per scenery order.

Yeah, the ordering of those was already done. Still no change. Followed the instructions in that link when it first came out, as none of the landmarks were appearing. Now select ones have popped up, but others not (as mentioned in my initial post). I've also moved the settings sliders as directed by John in a thread discussing the most suitable settings, But I'm still getting some landmarks not working.

wembley.png

Dome.png

Edited by Duane Hewitt

28 minutes ago, Duane Hewitt said:

Yeah, the ordering of those was already done. Still no change. Followed the instructions in that link when it first came out, as none of the landmarks were appearing. Now select ones have popped up, but others not (as mentioned in my initial post). I've also moved the settings sliders as directed by John in a thread discussing the most suitable settings, But I'm still getting some landmarks not working.

wembley.png

Dome.png

Can you post your .ini file

16 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Can you post your .ini file

Ian,

I've just deleted an entry in the file for Mildenhall that was an add on from prior to the Orbx install. Miles away from London, so I didn't suspect it would affect, but it seems to have revealed any hidden elements around London. If that wasn't the cause then I've no idea what changed since my last flight, but it's worked. 

Cheers for your input though.

• Like 1

I placed the orbx true earth a b and c etc where they should be and they just bounce back to where they were when I open up again ???????

And a lot of other stuff is  now in the wrong place like libraries etc etc whet the heck has happened here -- I attach a copy of my ini file --- I cannot believe what has happened here and WHY ?????

scenery_packs.ini

i couldn`t agree more with the following ---- very frustrating and a total waste of time having to sort out the ini file ------ unbelievable !!!

quote from someone else

I think the most annoying thing about it is always having to move things around when you add something new. Why cant you just add the new one and have it automatically put in the right order? Is this to do with the flight sim itself or something else? is there any utils out there other then xorganizer which would sort it out or can ORBX develop a tool for this if it is possible? If we could just add or install the new scenery or library or terrain and not have to fiddle around life would be a lot easier :) 

1 hour ago, Paul Woods said:

i couldn`t agree more with the following ---- very frustrating and a total waste of time having to sort out the ini file ------ unbelievable !!!

quote from someone else

I think the most annoying thing about it is always having to move things around when you add something new. Why cant you just add the new one and have it automatically put in the right order? Is this to do with the flight sim itself or something else? is there any utils out there other then xorganizer which would sort it out or can ORBX develop a tool for this if it is possible? If we could just add or install the new scenery or library or terrain and not have to fiddle around life would be a lot easier :) 

X-Plane does this by default. It's not ORBX's fault. However once correctly ordered, it stays that way until the next new item. It's something you have to keep a handle on right from the start.

2 hours ago, Paul Woods said:

I placed the orbx true earth a b and c etc where they should be and they just bounce back to where they were when I open up again ???????

And a lot of other stuff is  now in the wrong place like libraries etc etc whet the heck has happened here -- I attach a copy of my ini file --- I cannot believe what has happened here and WHY ?????

scenery_packs.ini

Your scenery_packs.ini file is a bit of a mess with important things renamed so they probably won't work as they should.

I'm attaching mine. It's not perfect, but everything works perfectly!

scenery_packs.ini

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul Woods said:

scenery_packs.ini

Did you remember to save the ini file after sorting it?

Do that then run Xplane until you get to the continue flight or start new flight screen.

Quit Xplane from there and recheck your ini file

If anything has moved rearrange it as it should be and restart Xplane, your ini file should now always stay in the right order.

Always repeat this process when you add new scenery.

I have attempted to reorganise your ini file for you but I don't know what some files are, whether airports or mesh or photoscenery. I would have assumed your "zzz" prefix named folders are mesh but some seem to be airports?

Frankly your ini is a complete jumble and mess, I doubt half your scenery worked correctly anyway. You seem to have some libraries duplicated as well such as Mr X library,

The order for your scenery ini is as follows from top to bottom.

Xplane landmarks.

individual Airports (such as Orbx Barton)

Global airports

OrbX scenery other than airport.

OrbX overlay folder

Libraries

Scenery folders

ortho scenery

Mesh

Remember what is above on the list will suppress what is below.

Put the ini I link to in your custom scenery folder and follow the instructions I have given and let me know.

Frankly though your ini file is in need of serious surgery. 

scenery_packs .ini

Edited by david broome

On 10/17/2018 at 6:54 AM, dekela said:

I have the same issue, I downloaded the convert file and placed it in the place you said, tried to run it and it said

3.1.4\texconv.exe" -m 13 -timing -nogpu -f BC1_UNORM -y *.JPG
No matching files found for *.JPG
Done!

I tried installing for the last 3 days, first with FTX Central , than downloaded manually and used FTX to install from the zip file.

Still getting the following error:

0:04:22.772 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a910xfbb0x17.ter
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: | ../textures/a910xfbb0x17.dds
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:146)
0:04:22.772 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help!!!

I Also had this problem, which I finally sorted out.

I'd like to point out to others that have this problem that it also seems to be related to Low disk space. Make sure you have a lot more space than you think you need! 

On 10/16/2018 at 12:23 PM, andy1252 said:

Your post ends with a mention that Ben will be looking at further development of the FTXC code regarding the scenery.ini environment. For me, this whole scenery.ini environment seems to be one of the weaker points of XP, as controlling large collections of scenery and its associated libraries, mesh entries etc can get messy, especially given that any complicated manual manipulation of the scenery.ini is replaced by a pure alphabetical entry any time there is a problem with the ini file and it gets rebuilt. Perhaps something within FTXC to separate out airports and regions via a naming convention like "Airports_ORBX_KCGX_A / B / C" and "Regions_ORBX_GB_South_TE_A / B / C" would help ensuring things got placed correctly in the bigger scheme of things. Just a suggestion, and only even worthwhile if the answer to my "Global Airports" question is that the ORBX entries should be split above and below it. 

This is a really important observation. With XP11, Laminar are probably attracting a lot of new users to this platform, who previously would have nothing to do with largely because of a number of distinctly non-user friendly features. I'm one of them. Now however, with ORBX embracing XP11, the program's embarrassingly amateurish handling of scenery is drawing a lot of attention (particular when Microsoft had this figured out over a decade ago). I hope that either developing an appropriately 2018 scenery UI becomes a priority for Laminar or that ORBX develops a utility that will solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately I seem to have the ORBX folders in the wrong order too, I fully understand I need to re-order these folders but so far I've been unable to find a way of doing this in W10, the "sort" function wont allow me to manually change the order and the only thing I've found on the internet suggests I need mess with the registry - as a non -techy I aint going to risk that. Any ideas please? I'm sure it must be simple but then again so am I!

On 11/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, hypercide said:

This is a really important observation. With XP11, Laminar are probably attracting a lot of new users to this platform, who previously would have nothing to do with largely because of a number of distinctly non-user friendly features. I'm one of them. Now however, with ORBX embracing XP11, the program's embarrassingly amateurish handling of scenery is drawing a lot of attention (particular when Microsoft had this figured out over a decade ago). I hope that either developing an appropriately 2018 scenery UI becomes a priority for Laminar or that ORBX develops a utility that will solve the problem.

There already is one, xOrganizer, and it's been referenced many times already. It would solve virtually all the problems with the scenery.ini that people seem to be having.....

31 minutes ago, uncle_adolph said:

There already is one, xOrganizer, and it's been referenced many times already. It would solve virtually all the problems with the scenery.ini that people seem to be having.....

Except it doesn't recognize things properly and when I used it I spent forever re-sorting the ini file again.

As a stop gap strategy, people can post their ini files as attachments and I'll be happy to sort it out. PM me if you like, I've nowt else pressing!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The very existence of the series of suggested solutions since my previous post indicates how urgent is the need for a final, fail-safe, top-tier, vendor-level solution. That solutions to the dysfunction built into the XP11 scenery routines are far too ad hoc, hit or miss than should be at all acceptable for such a mature platform as XP is now. I think the entrance of ORBX into the XP world can only be a boon to Laminar and the future of their sim, so I think it behooves them to speed up a revamp of the scenery routines.

For many of us old hands, whether from XP or FSX, mucking about under the hood has just become part of the sim experience and cutting and pasting items in a text file is really old hat; however, the various threads here initiated by new users absolutely mystified by the process of getting their new ORBX scenery to work in this already sophisticated sim suggest it's in the interests of both ORBX and Laminar to iron out a user-friendly solution. (Part of my embrace of FSW was that it worked without having to fiddle with anything; I still think that was one of the enviable bars set by that platform)

• Upvote 1

Once you get your Ini in order once, you do not need anything else to do it for you.  Its not that complicated to maintain; cut paste and go fly. its not dysfunctional its very logic based.

Its starts at the bottom and works up:

• Airport
  • Xplane landmark files( I personally use them to divide my airports from my libs it doesn't HAVE to be here, i do it  because I have a lot of VFR landmark files)
  • Library files (yet another way to divide things).
  • overlays
  • ortho
  • mesh

Thats it. once you have that layout in its simple easy and painless to maintain.  Orbx did a fine jobe with TEGBS, its even labeled in such a way that it will Automatically will be in order, just move it down below your airports, and you're done.  

G'day John

As someone who purchased half the ORBX shop for P3d but switched to LM about two years ago congratulations on a masterful entree into the world of scenery for XP. 

Like so many others I'm enjoying the way TE South raises the bar significantly over all previous offerings. 

Real Earth South is a blast for someone who studied at Southampton Uni in the early 60's, trained with the SUAS (RAF) from Hamble Airfield (yes, you can land in one piece in TE South despite it having been  half concreted over with a housing estate), coffee'd umpteen times at Compton Abbas airfield, met his dearly beloved in Bournemouth, but I digress ...  

I wanted to pick up on your opening post and generous edit. I'm not clear how this will work in practice and how soon? No real hurry I guess, but my one minor irritation so far has been the inability of Pilot Plus EGKK to load into ORBX TE South.  PP have told me they're working on a fix but according to what I've read on this thread that should take minutes rather that days or weeks?  Maybe I've misunderstood.  

So, do we need to request a specific 3rd party APT exclusion or do you intend to cover most of the Global/Gateway airports in the fullness of time? 
I gather these will be provided via the ORB Lib.  Either way ... I have to say I'm waiting for more ORBX airports.   

Best,

Gareth  Wilkinson     

Edited by GarethW
typo

On 10/15/2018 at 10:58 PM, FastNeatAverage said:

Is the exclusion zone thing not something that you can fix? GBPRO worked fine for me in terms of this autogen issue. I'm also yet to find a single airport apart from the payware Heathrow that this works for.

I use EGNX ( https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/40845-egnx-east-midlands-v2/ ) very often and the only way I can get the airport buildings to show properly without being corrupted by autogen after installing TE GB, is to leave GBPro installed and above the A,B and C files in the config hierarchy. Similarly, without GBPro, the iconic wind turbines (albeit static these days) at EGNX are missing. I also question whether TE has changed the topography, as the runway at EGNX is no longer sloping.

Mike

XOrganiser does not seem to handle the Orbx GB South files particularly well. It ignores the Orbx A,B,C file order recommendation, and cannot be altered.

My solution was to create two ini files, one for New Zealand, where I usually fly, and the other for Orbx’s GB scenery. I put them into separate sub-folders in Scenery Disabled, and if I want to fly in the UK and Europe, I copy and paste the scenery.ini file for those regions into Custom Scenery -  and vice versa.

i could never get x-organiser to work EVER!!!

all i get is a red bar at the bottom saying errors needs attention

the impression i got from the blurb was that it supposed to do everything automatically... but nah still have to fiddle with it making my head hurt so deleted it

Edited by coxo2436

9 hours ago, Kilofoxtrotalpha said:

XOrganiser does not seem to handle the Orbx GB South files particularly well. It ignores the Orbx A,B,C file order recommendation, and cannot be altered.

Nonsense. I have always used XOrganiser for manipulating my scenery_packs.ini, did so with the Orbx files, and it saves them without problem.

It doesn't necessarily put everything in the correct order but it makes moving the entries around so much easier. Instead of cutting and pasting it is simply a question of moving an entry from one box to another. Then, so long as autosave at the top is "on", it writes it to the file. And I would have thought that a red bar telling you there are incorrect entries would actually be helpful so you don't waste time firing up the sim. Then you just ensure everything follows the correct order as Admiralty013 states....it's hardly rocket science! 

Hi Uncle,

I am not at all familiar with xOrganiser and when I tried it, this is what it showed me. I'm guessing I was assuming it would do some auto sorting rather than just highlight potential issues without making obvious what actions are needed to rectify the issues.

Any constructive ideas would be gratefully received.

Keith

xOrganizer01.jpg

scenery_packs.ini

It is telling you that there are various entries in your scenery_packs.ini which it has not categorised and you therefore need to move them. Open up the "tree" and just drop the entries into the correct boxes using the established order. This is explained in detail here (https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/442579-understanding-scenery-order/) and in numerous other places. Once you have done that you can then use the "preview" button to ensure that all is correct.

You also need to ensure that auto save (top left) is clicked "on" otherwise what you do will be undone as soon as you exit. I have a feeling that many people aren't setting this, hence the problems.

You might wish to look at this excellent overview video.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first loaded Orbx GB South everything was fine, Airport buildings everywhere, very pleased.

Today however no airports buildings, I've read all the posts I can find regarding the ini order and tried to follow the correct pattern, here is my file.

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Chicago/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Dubai/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Las Vegas/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/YBNA_Ballina/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/EGCC Manchester V4/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFBO-Toulouse-Blagnac-06-08-14/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/flags_of_USA_states/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/flags_of_the_world/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/2017_airport_collection_3D/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/2017_airport_collection_liveries/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/3D_people_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/big_thumb_pack/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/big_thumbnail_pack/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BS2001 Object Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/CDB-Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/MisterX_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/NAPS_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/R2_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/RE_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/RE_Library V1/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ruscenery/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/THE-FRUIT-STAND Aircraft Library v2.2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/The_Handy_Objects_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/world-models/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/

____________________________________________________________________________________

can anyone see any problem here, I've also read about exclusion zones but the airports did work so what has changed.

I am using X-Plane 11 30 beta 4

thanks

scenery_packs.ini