Correct order of Orbx TE GB entries in scenery_packs.ini

John Venema

@Jon ClarkeThank you so much for your time and effort to resolve my issues.  All loaded in and although I had an initial crash I reloaded and it was fine.  Is flattening runways a skill I'll need to learn? I recall I had a similar issue with Filton.  I am already signed into plane.org and learning my way around it  I'll start hunting out my military airfields and I guess stack them above the global airports as with EGLC.  Once again many thanks for your help  I'm sure it won't be the last  Jon J

@Jon Clarke Once again Jon thanks for your patience.  I have followed your instructions and this time succeeded.  WED is fascinating but I suspect very dangerous :) You are absolutely right that I should try for myself after all that's the only way to learn.  An amusing story from this effort of mine.  As I said in a previous post I am circuiting the UK and as I was born in Plymouth this was a place to visit, hence I discovered the ramps.  I left the aircraft parked in Plymouth and saved the flight.  Having flattened the airfield I planned to use this saved flight to take off and check the runway.  When I loaded it the aircraft crash to the ground from a very short height and turned turtle. I reloaded and the same thing happened. (had I done something wrong again  I had left the aircraft parked on the apron after all!)  Then it dawned on me that having flattened the airfield I had probably parked the aircraft on higher ground and in the flattening process literally pulled the ground away from underneath it. (The aircraft remembering at what altitude it had been left at!!!!)

Once again thanks (for now!)  Jon Jewitt

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, hello.

Sometimes entering a new world is exciting, if a little frustrating. In my case, as newbie to X-Plane, and adding scenery it is only the latter. Except a lot frustrating. I've tried to glean as much as I can from this thread, but the terminology is beyond my computer literacy levels, and though I have researched each new term, I think I am just digging a deeper hole for myself, and piling error on error.

My flight sim needs are simple, I merely want to fly over the south of the UK (and to France).

My scenery-packs.ini file is very short, at a mere 15 lines. If I were to post it here, would somebody kindly appraise it, and show me where I am going wrong, please.

Kind regards

Peter

I made a real cods of it didn't I?

I'm so grateful, Jon, and I can't wait to this evening to try it out.

My actions - relabel the current file as scenery_packs.ini as scenery_packsOld.ini. Paste the new one into Custom Scenery, and away I go.

You are an absolute star.

Best regards

Peter

It worked perfectly, Jon, and I was pleased to delete anything that had my pudgy fingers on it!

Once again I am so grateful, your generosity, and indeed that of the others on this forum, is much appreciated.

take care,

Kind regards,

Peter

Sorry to be back seeking help so soon.

Is it possible that the addition of scenery has proved too much for my Mac? It has a 3.2 GHz Intel i5, 8GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB.

I get stuttering and freezing now. I have researched this to the level of my understanding, but am at a loss how to implement any of it, even if I could follow the avenues. I did change the flight models / frame from 2 to 4.There seems to be a multitude of solutions to people asking about this problem. Is there anything obvious and simple that you could suggest? I have read here that a log file will help those who are kind enough to lend their expertise, I'll attach one if I am told where to find it!!

And I suppose the obvious follow up question is how to revert back to the way it was before I started tinkering with it if it does prove that my setup is a bit weedy for the new requirements?

Fizzelle, more than that, Jon is courteous in his help. Seems to me that (elsewhere) some clever people can't help being supercilious and waspish.

• Upvote 1

Back again !!!!

Please attach a pic of your XP settings from the Graphics options page like in the pic attached.

We can then see if there is anything we can do. It will look as though we will need to lower some settings but need to see what you are set on at present.

Also attach your scenry_packs.ini if you have added more scenery, and your XP Log file. The XP Log file is located in your XP directory a shown in pic 2.

1492703228_XPsettings.thumb.JPG.8c8d91138f7b809ff11400673a5c9fdc.JPG

XPLog.thumb.JPG.1f7c415b1fbdeb5867369258e3b6e145.JPG

@Chuns The scenery_packs.ini you have just attached is different to the one you initially gave me. It is also altered as you have added have EWXPVolume2 which I don't know what it is. You need to tell me that.Unless it is an airport it needs to below Global Airports and probably below the TEGB addons. 

I will not relayer your scenery_packs until you tell me what EWXP is.

Looking at your XP settings they are already low but I see you have Draw Parked Aircraft enabled which will be using resource.

As Fizzelle says , you should be using Metal which was the sole purpose of 11.50 version. I am on Windows so I use Vulkan but I understand that Metal is the Mac equivalent. It should get you much better fps.

Thank you, Jon, thank you Fizzelle.

I think I know what EWXP is. I opened it, a text file, but while I didn't understand what it said, the word Java appeared a lot. I think this must relate to me trying to install VFR Photo Scenery Volume 2 from a disc. In involved having to install a legacy Java. I bet that is it. I believe it is irrelevant, but I have attached it just in case..

To be honest, I don't quite understand how there could be two versions of that .ini file, I thought I was being quite rigorous with my versions of it as I got deeper in the poo.

I will uncheck the parked aircraft, and check the Metal box.

Half of me wants to apologise for the draw on your time, but the other half remembers how rewarding it was to help beginners in a field where I have (had) some authority. I didn't mind, but what I hated was people who, once they had received help, just disappeared with no acknowledgement.

So I'll simply be grateful.

Cheers, both.

EWXPVolume2_InstallLog.log

I have revised your scenery_packs.ini and removed the EWXP entry as it is redundant.

You must remove that file from your Custom Scenery folder otherwise it will keep being written into the .ini and maybe causing an issue.

You should find Metal gives a better fps count if it acts in the beneficial way like Vulkan does in Windows. I don't have Mac so I cannot confirm that.

In your Custom Scenery folder there should be 2 copies of a scenery_packs. One is an Orbx backup copy. Leave that alone but make sure you delete the one that is the scenery_packs (configuration) file as shown with a red arrow in my attached pic and then drop the attached new one in there.

Capture.thumb.JPG.f11fa7aef8acd8b91d8330f797a0f227.JPG

scenery_packs.ini

• 8 months later...

I have checked and your scenery_packs.ini is fine.

TE Florida will be placed correctly by Orbx central, but for some reason it is not, then you need to place the files directly under the TEGB files you already have except for a small file called TE Florida_airports, which will go above Global Airports

• Like 1

• 2 months later...