True earth GB South XP11.

Iain Emms

I'm getting this one for sure.

The frustrating thing is that there isn't the talent and probably ortho photos and such to complete the globe in this quality fast enough.

I would buy a globe of this quality for $1000. Right off the top, just get the whole planet in one go. I would spend it anyway slowly as they are produced. And I spend $4000 in golf every bloody year. Its a matter of choices.

As with Orbx regions, which I have all, it took years and then never was finished.

However, I will buy everyone of these products as they are released. I am using ortho and overlays currently and I find the flying experience superior to P3Dv4 because of it.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

We are still producing landclass-based regions and those will continue in parallel to TE regions. We are hiring many new staff to cater for this.

Absolutely excellent!

The best flying in P3DV4 in my view is with Orbx Regions complimented with your airports and in XP with Ortho, and now TrueEarth.

2 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

I'm getting this one for sure.

The frustrating thing is that there isn't the talent and probably ortho photos and such to complete the globe in this quality fast enough.

I would buy a globe of this quality for $1000. Right off the top, just get the whole planet in one go. I would spend it anyway slowly as they are produced. And I spend $4000 in golf every bloody year. Its a matter of choices.

As with Orbx regions, which I have all, it took years and then never was finished.

However, I will buy everyone of these products as they are released. I am using ortho and overlays currently and I find the flying experience superior to P3Dv4 because of it.

Only £1120 per year in the UK! My club anyway. Sorry. However, I would say your scenery is probably better although I do have the Yorkshire Dales to peer at. Priceless!!

What a fantastic development and my hat off to all people involved. This is an absolute masterpiece!!

If I have read the announcement correctly, this first part of the UK will occupy 125 GB on our HD. I have P3D v4 and all of ORBX on a 500GB SSD. As ORBX already occupies over 300GB of it, it means for me that I will run out of ammo pretty soon, once it will be released for P3D 

16 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Only £1120 per year in the UK! My club anyway. Sorry. However, I would say your scenery is probably better although I do have the Yorkshire Dales to peer at. Priceless!!

Sorry to be off topic, but half is local and Canadian $, and half is in the San Diego area during winter and that is in US bucks which cost me $1.35 per Can $. What can I say, I love the sun and warmth of SCal. My financial guy put it clearly to me, you have what -  20 years to live, of which only 10-15 might be useful, so divide your wealth by 15 and spend it each year doing what you like...there you go, sound advice, you can't take it with you...and the kids and/or the wife get the house...lol.

2 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

Sorry to be off topic, but half is local and Canadian $, and half is in the San Diego area during winter and that is in US bucks which cost me $1.35 per Can $. What can I say, I love the sun and warmth of SCal. My financial guy put it clearly to me, you have want 20 years to live, of which only 10-15 might be useful, so divide your wealth by 15 and spend it each year doing what you like...there you go, sound advice, you can't take it with you...and the kids and/or the wife get the house...lol.

Lovely thanks.

I have some friends in Santa Rosa and next year we plan to fly to KSFO, hire a Mustang ($55 a day), and flip up to Santa Rosa where they live. We then plan to take the train down the coast to San Diego (KSAN is my favourite airport) and chill there for a while.

Can't wait!

Downloading now....can't wait

Existing ortho - I know I can disable or remove this...great free up HD space

GB Pro overlay, if I disable this it will disable the whole of UK which True Earth GB South doesn't cover.  If I place entries for ORBX in scenery_packs.ini above GB Pro will this ensure compatibility?

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

Absolutely excellent!

The best flying in P3DV4 in my view is with Orbx Regions complimented with your airports and in XP with Ortho, and now TrueEarth.

True, I personally do not like Ortho due of low quality, this is very interesting especially for one who flies southern GB regularly in real life but for example on Xplane I use more HD Mesh 4 (but these do not have poi, landmarks etc... which is a big minus) so I would be quite keen in ORBX taking this on board as landclass overall to me are quite immersive.

Now...in 6 hours we will see how this look like :D (thanks BT for a *** connection)

Ok, I have it installed and it looks fantastic, HOWEVER.... the default airports look ruined now.  EGLL is not there, just the image from above with random buildings.  Looks terrible now.  Fine for high up but awful when get close.  Checked Gatwick too and default airport gone, instead is image from above with standard buildings everywhere.  

Is something not right with my install?

Are we saying that this makes the scenery look great but ruins the airports unless we buy more payware airport addons?

4 minutes ago, Praetorias said:

Ok, I have it installed and it looks fantastic, HOWEVER.... the default airports look ruined now.  EGLL is not there, just the image from above with random buildings.  Looks terrible now.  Fine for high up but awful when get close.

This sounds more like a priority issue. look in your scenery_packs.ini.

Where is the global airport compared with the GB South files?

3 minutes ago, Longranger241 said:

This sounds more like a priority issue. look in your scenery_packs.ini.

Where is the global airport compared with the GB South files?

I thought it might be this, I attach a screenshot, what do I move where? how do I ensure orbx bought airports remain priority but laminar airports have priority over gb south???

Capture.JPG

52 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Downloading now....can't wait

Existing ortho - I know I can disable or remove this...great free up HD space

GB Pro overlay, if I disable this it will disable the whole of UK which True Earth GB South doesn't cover.  If I place entries for ORBX in scenery_packs.ini above GB Pro will this ensure compatibility?

Central and North aren’t too far way so delete and disable the lot and we’ll catch up very soon :) 

5 minutes ago, Longranger241 said:

Yes. Move Orbx_B and C under Orbx_A. This should do the trick. Although... why is OrbX_A under Landmarks London? You should probably move OrbX_A directly under global airports, then B, then C.

OrbX, I think there is a bug.

Updated to this, will load x plane and see

Capture2.JPG

1 minute ago, Praetorias said:

Updated to this, will load x plane and see

That looks fine, except Landmarks - London should be above the TrueEarth Great Britain lines.

7 minutes ago, Longranger241 said:

Yes. Move Orbx_B and C under Orbx_A. This should do the trick. Although... why is OrbX_A under Landmarks London? You should probably move OrbX_A directly under global airports, then B, then C.

OrbX, I think there is a bug.

Some of the default London landmarks are used in this scenery, so they should be above Orbx_A

4 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

That looks fine, except Landmarks - London should be above the TrueEarth Great Britain lines.

Some of the default London landmarks are used in this scenery, so they should be above Orbx_A

Updated again, I tried the last one and although heathrow did look a lot better, it was still not right, taxiways going to no where and grass images in middle of airport

Capture3.JPG

Am downloading this now. However I have found a problem and it's this.

I used FTX Central to download and install. I set a separate drive to download the files. Unfortunately it looks like the actual file installation is taking place on my SSD, which has X-Plane on it but no room for all this new scenery. I use a separate drive and symbolic links to the Custom Scenery directory on my X-Plane SSD.

At this stage I can't see if the installation will fail or work; I had to hastily free up what I could while the conversion process continues. If it does convert and install, then I'll move it all out to the other drive.

So Mr ORBX, although I could set the download drive etc from FTX Central, I couldn't (unless I missed it), set where I want the scenery files located. There needs to be an explanation for people such as I, so we can set the actual install directory so we can (or you can) do the symbolic linking.

Or advise manual download and DIY!

18 mins left in the install as of now...

Words of warning for those installing to alternative drive than where Xplane installed.

I was running out of space on my drive with Xplane installation so downloaded OrbX TE to an alternate drive.

That was fine but the problem is it decided to install and convert all the files from there into my Xplane custom scenery folder thus nullifying the whole reason If downloaded to an alternative drive.

I have been frantically deleting files and making space as the conversion takes well over 2 hours on my system and I was more than halfway through before I realised otherwise I could of cancelled I guess and then manually converted from my alternative download location with a 3rd party program. But then again I didn't want to interrupt the automated installation just in case that wasn't possible.

As things stand I now have over 50GB of the original compressed file on my alternative drive and the 125+ GB of extracted files in my custom scenery Xplane installation disk I was trying to save space on! (it is actually just over 100GB after it deletes the old files after conversion but needs over 125GB of space))

I guess I can now move them back onto that alternative disk and reinstall some programs I had to hastily uninstall but be warned if you are downloading to alternative disk.

I need to take a break from this tonight as lacking patience for it.  There is definitely a question over how the install places priority of those items.  If I have had to move several around, others will too.  And I am left with default airports like EGLL and Gatwick looking poor or extremely bad.  Gatwick has buildings going through it as you can see.  Can someone from ORBX advise what is causing this?  You have the v3 of my file above.  Also, was this tested fully before release?

Its a shame as my initial experience of this when I compared a location before and after was WOW this is a huge improvement.  Now I am left thinking has this ruined xplane 11 for GB if I cannot actually do anything other than fly over GB but not land or take off.  I hate having to mess around with settings and configs when you buy things.  Things should just work.

2 minutes ago, david broome said:

Words of warning for those installing to alternative drive than where Xplane installed.

I was running out of space on my drive with Xplane installation so downloaded OrbX TE to an alternate drive.

That was fine but the problem is it decided to install and convert all the files from there into my Xplane custom scenery folder thus nullifying the whole reason If downlaoded to an alternative drive.

I have been frantically deleting files and making space as the conversion takes well over 2 hours on my system and I was more than halfway through before I realised otherwise I could of cancelled I guess and then manually converted from my alternative download location with a 3rd party program. But then again I didn't want to interupt the aautomated isntallation just in case that wasn't possible.

As things stand I now have over 50GB of the original compressed file on my alternative drive and the 130 GB of extracted files in my custom scenery Xplane installation disk I was trying to save space on!

I guess I can now move them back onto that alternative disk and reinstall some programs I had to hastily uninstall but be warned if you are downloading to alternative disk.

SNAP!

Tried to run and got the following error

0:00:29.460 E/SCN: Failed to find resource '../textures/a800xfd40x17.dds', referenced from file 'Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/'.
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a800x10060x17.ter
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | ../textures/a800x10060x17.dds
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:146)

Hoped the missin file might still be in original download but OrbX deletes that after installation.

Now verifying files - another 20 minutes  :banghead:

It's late and I'm tired but I'll give this a good go tomorrow.

However after the install ostensibly finished, before I did anything else, I ran the Verify Files option in FTX. It found a whole lot more to convert.

Leaving it running overnight now and hang the electricity!

G'night all, and good luck!

2 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

It's late and I'm tired but I'll give this a good go tomorrow.

However after the install ostensibly finished, before I did anything else, I ran the Verify Files option in FTX. It found a whole lot more to convert.

Leaving it running overnight now and hang the electricity!

G'night all, and good luck!

I'm in the same situation, something did not run correctly. Doing the verify now.

27 minutes ago, Praetorias said:

I need to take a break from this tonight as lacking patience for it.  There is definitely a question over how the install places priority of those items.  If I have had to move several around, others will too.  And I am left with default airports like EGLL and Gatwick looking poor or extremely bad.  Gatwick has buildings going through it as you can see.  Can someone from ORBX advise what is causing this?

While I am not from OrbX I can tell you: In the case of buildings on Gatwick: These ancient default airports never got their exclusion zones. While they were mandatory since X-Plane 7, at that time nearly no scenery author made them. So Heinz (a member of the Aerosoft support team made the necessary exclusion zones. ( http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/90668-exclusion-zones-for-airports-xp1011/ ).

The other problem might be caused by the same problem too. These default airports were made with really ancient WED versions.

23 minutes ago, david broome said:

Tried to run and got the following error

0:00:29.460 E/SCN: Failed to find resource '../textures/a800xfd40x17.dds', referenced from file 'Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/'.
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a800x10060x17.ter
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | ../textures/a800x10060x17.dds
0:00:32.569 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:146)

Hoped the missin file might still be in original download but OrbX deletes that after installation.

Now verifying files - another 20 minutes  :banghead:

EDIT

Oh boy it was 20 minutes to redownload necessary files, then they needed to be extracted and now converting, another 30 minutes.:'(

Sure hope it works after this.

23 minutes ago, david broome said:

1 hour ago, Praetorias said:

I will be interested once david_broome and Fizzelle get their installs sorted if they have similar issues to me too

Hi, this is what I see above Gatwick default airport with OrbX installed.

I have OrbX orthophotos at the very bottom of my scenery.ini

I have the overlay folder just above Global airports

I have the custom folder above airports (I will put OrbX airports above this I think)

I have only experimented a short while but as far as I can tell the scenery is displaying correctly with otho, landmarks and autogen.

OrbX have done a great job from what I have seen thus far having just experimented near London city to check performance and looks

I get around 45fps on my system (I5 6600K 1080Ti, 32GB RAM) over the city with objects on high (shadows and reflections off) Visual effects High(HDR),  texture quality max, 4x SXAA FXAA.

Cessna_172SP_1.png

My UK2000 EGKK looks correct but London is a mess no idea what's going on and looks nothing like the official London screenshots on the ORBX page.  Tower Bridge is represented as a floating building in the Thames and Canary Wharf looks like default buildings.  Would be great if ORBX can confirm exactly the right place for the 3 A, B and C entries in the ini file.

I have followed this instruction from Ben...

Archived