Favorite cargo planes

Hi all. Every once in a while, I like to take a cargo plane on an extended flight set--a UPS 737 on the American west coast; a C-130 down the east coast of Africa; a C-123 in Central America; a C-7 in southeast Asia; and so forth. My question is, Does anyone else enjoy cargo flights, and, if so, what planes do you like flying for the purpose?

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Favorite cargo planes

Heck yeah, most of my flights involve cargo.

Here's my favorite "cargo" plane. A low and slow "old coot", because the people up in the wilds of Alaska are depending on my getting the supplies to them .

chrHDMK.jpg

Easy to get into remote places.

lLDC8dJ.jpg

And a real appreciation of the cargo. (ya just can't run out to the corner store up here !)

gYF1O96.jpg

16 hours ago, JMBIII said:

Would have brought more, but they specified some bread, tomatoes, lettuce, and a cooler full of bacon. They requested some hard stuff next trip. :D

Watch that aft cargo loading in a Pacer - grab the lift handle on the longeron by the tail.  If you can lift, you're OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the flying freight. 20 years ago I did it in the rw in a HS748 in Manitoba, Canada and the arctic. Retired a couple years ago after flying for 40 years. These days one of my favorite fighters is the PMDG DC6 in Buffalo Airways livery....I flew the CL215 for awhile and the DC6 engines and the CL215 engines are pretty much the same. That PMDG DC6 creation is great. Love the sound of a round engine. My latest freighter interest in the Maddog X. There are some freighter liveries for it...Alaska, Everts....

Dave

flyingleaf,  forgive the complete reproduction of your post. As usual, the technology was one step ahead of me. That being said, what a cool plane! Did you paint it yourself? Does the name have a history? Is this the JBK base model or the original Microsoft team? Love it!

28 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

It looks like the Manfred Jahn/Jan Visser and team version to me Rodger.

If you don't have it, you should.

douglas_c-47_beta_v3.1405.zip at the Avsim File Library.

That of course is right on Nick. It truly is a Gem.

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

flyingleaf,  forgive the complete reproduction of your post. As usual, the technology was one step ahead of me. That being said, what a cool plane! Did you paint it yourself? Does the name have a history? Is this the JBK base model or the original Microsoft team? Love it!

Thank you Rodger. Please see Nicks post above. Manfred Jahn and Jan Visser worked on this plane for a long time. It is freeware. A must have for sure.

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Not to worry, friends. Got the Jahn/Vissar DC-3 soon as it came out and then again in the v.2. And, yes, I agree that it's a classic. Still am wondering about your screenshot plane, flyingleaf. Your paint job? It's a beauty!

Hello Rodger. No not my paint job but (I wish) you can get it from Sim Outhouse: texture.n231gb. I just love it because it is so fitting to that old girl.:) 

20 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

That's take-off weight. What's the landing weight--2,000 pounds? :D

I really don't know Rodger, I guess it would depend on how full the bottles were upon arrival. :unsure:

Dale

Archived