Memories

Back in 1953, 14 years of age, I immigrated to America.  At war's end my mother had done the same as a GI bride but rules at the time prevented me from accompanying.  Along with my Gran we took the train down to Southampton, said our goodbyes and I boarded the SS United States.  A short trip over to Le Havre, picking up more passengers, then into the Atlantic.  Two days in the depths of misery as we slowly found sea legs and learned how to not vomit.  The next two and a half days were wonderful as I watched first run movies (Shane and Young Bess), went up on deck marveling at the ocean's size and never missed a meal.  Morning of the fifth day found us sliding towards the Hudson and admiring the Statue of Liberty off our port side.  The city skyline was mind boggling - what a transition from the west side of Edinburgh to downtown Manhattan.  I had arrived.

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Sounds like the beginning of a good book. Ever thought of writing it?

All of us probably have a good book in their life story but, after your family, circle of friends and a few curious folks, readership would surely dwindle.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:38 PM, olderndirt said:

All of us probably have a good book in their life story but, after your family, circle of friends and a few curious folks, readership would surely dwindle.

Hey olderndirt I don't think your readership would dwindle. Please bring it on. Your first post sound intriguing.:)

11 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Hey olderndirt I don't think your readership would dwindle. Please bring it on. Your first post sound intriguing.:)

Intriguing - a brief summary.  After the Empire State which verified my fear of heights, it was westbound to Denver via the old US40.  High School in WheatRidge CO where they were amazed a Scottish person could speak English.  Tried a couple of years at Colorado A&M (Colorado State now) but no joy as a student so, after failing the physical (did well on the written) for Aviation Cadets, spent some quality time with the USAF.  Assignment to Alaska literally changed the rest of my life - after discharge I came right back - worked for NWS then FAA.  Seven locations from north slope, aleutians, interior and southeast.  Got married, two children over 39 years.  Lot's of flying and some planes along the way - wouldn't have missed it.

My original orders for Alaska specified Elmendorf, adjacent to the big city - Anchorage.  Nosing around, I found there were one year assignments in the bush for the asking.  After a stop at Ladd, in Fairbanks, I was on my way to Galena - about mid-state on the Yukon.  It was just after Statehood had been awarded and the locals were unhappy.  Their meager votes couldn't compete with the cities (not Fairbanks) so being a state held few apparent advantages.  An aspect of Galena - a joint-use airport was that it was populated by both the Air Force and the FAA.  At that time Flight Service stations were in many locations and my job as a weatherman placed me in the same building.  One of the FSS guys was a former fighter pilot who owned a Piper Clipper so I got my first flight in a little plane.  As Shirley McClaine said in 'Terms of Endearment' - fan-f***en-tastic.  Amazing to land anywhere that looked long enough-a good approach and upriver preferred.  Needless to say, the gent and I went on to a lifetime (50 years 'til he passed) friendship.  Besides introducing me to all the outdoor stuff he mentored my flying activities.  Many's the time we flew out together - he is his Cub (N7571D) and me in my Pacer (N6948K) - me joshing about having to throttle back so he could keep me in sight.  

5 hours ago, olderndirt said:

High School in WheatRidge CO where they were amazed a Scottish person could speak English. 

I had a long-time girl friend through all of high school and most of college.  Her last name was MacDonald and her father was born in lowland Scotland.  For the longest time I couldn't understand a word he said.  I did, however, understand the looks I got when I was with his daughter. ;)

My maternal grandfather was a Campbell, born in the Highlands.  He was easier to understand, not sure why. 

12 minutes ago, Doc_Z said:

I had a long-time girl friend through all of high school and most of college.  Her last name was MacDonald and her father was born in lowland Scotland.  For the longest time I couldn't understand a word he said.  I did, however, understand the looks I got when I was with his daughter. ;)

My maternal grandfather was a Campbell, born in the Highlands.  He was easier to understand, not sure why. 

Lowlanders, especially from Glasgow and Edinburgh, have corrupted their dialect much like people from Newcastle, York, Manchester and other areas to the south.  When my wife and I watch shows on 'Britbox' we often resort to captions.  Highlanders still have the Gaelic which, I think, lends to a more lilting, less guttural speech pattern.

" especially from Glasgow and Edinburgh, have corrupted their dialect much like people from Newcastle, York, Manchester and other areas to the south"

Strangely, I can still pick a Manchurian, a Geordie, a Scouser (Liverpool) and of course Devon folk and the Welsh.. but sadly, a couple more generations and they will all be gone..

Terry (a Yorkshire Tyke with some Aussie and Mississippi Yank throw in).

6 hours ago, Bassman said:

Just had to google "Pacer". What a little gem!! Going to try and find a download.

When Bill's Pacer was in development, I helped with beta testing and can recommend it highly.  His "Alaska Flyer" is my old livery and 'N' number.  Check my signature - that MacDonell of Keppoch livery is very rare.

When I was a young whippersnapper I always thought that keeping a diary was a girly thing. How bloody wrong I was. With memories right back to the 1950s I wish I had started a diary when I started school. That diary would be the basis of an autobiography.

• 1 month later...

Never kept a diary  either, but fortunately my long term memory is magic. but that said something that happened yesterday, or even a couple of hours back is as struggle. I can walk across the room and  forget what I was going to do. Teecee.

6 hours ago, teecee said:

Never kept a diary  either, but fortunately my long term memory is magic. but that said something that happened yesterday, or even a couple of hours back is as struggle. I can walk across the room and  forget what I was going to do. Teecee.

Join the club Terry. I can walk into the kitchen with a cup in my hand and forget why I come into the kitchen. Used to think it was a senior moment.

'I can walk across the room and  forget what I was going to do'

That's a relief.  Thought it was only me Teecee!  I often find me in the wrong room, remember, but for the few seconds it takes for me I get in the right room I've forgotten what I went there for!:rollmyeyes:

Just seen this;

'Just had to google "Pacer". What a little gem!! Going to try and find a download'

Did you find it Bassman?  I ask only because if my doctor finds I need one at any time, with the speed our National Health Service works, I'll probably be dead before I get one from them!

John

9 hours ago, JohnY said:

Just seen this;

'Just had to google "Pacer". What a little gem!! Going to try and find a download'

Did you find it Bassman?  I ask only because if my doctor finds I need one at any time, with the speed our National Health Service works, I'll probably be dead before I get one from them!

John

That's one ugly car..."Pacer". :D

Archived