Germany photoreal for FSX/P3D

bernd1151

JV mentioned a few weeks back that he has access to new first class imagery for Germany. Of course, we all know the deficiencies photoscenery offers, such as only one season and blurry textures, when one flies below 1,000 feet. But we also know of the advantages it offers like flying above real world scenery. So, whatever you read here, is just my own opinion, no offense. I for one usually fly higher than 2,000 feet in a GA plane in order to see something below me and if I have the urge to fly in winter, I can just de-activate the photoscenery and have the ORBX world again.

Whether such a photoscenery project for Germany will ever be realized or not, I thought to show a few pictures, how such a project could look like in our ORBX world. I have used medium quality photoscenery for Germany (there isn’t much else available at the moment) and placed it together with some autogen on top of GEN/GES.

The first picture in this sequence shows GEN/GES alone, the second one shows GEN/GES together with photoscenery. In the scenery library, I have placed the photoscenery above the ORBX entries and as you can see, all ORBX POIs show through. There is no other add-on activated. Most of the shots (except the last three in the mountains and above Lake Constance) were taken at around 2,000 feet above sea level.

For this little demo I flew along the Rhine river. Our journey starts near Cologne and ends at the Zugspitze mountain in the Alps in Southern Germany

1. Cologne

GE1Koln1.jpg

Landmarks like the Cologne cathedral are still clearly visible, but here the city looks a bit to blue-ish for me (that is why I said before: medium quality photoscenery)

GE1Koln2.jpg

2. Near Rüdesheim/Rhine

GE3Rudesheim1.jpg

GE3Rudesheim2.jpg

3. Frankfurt

GE4Frankfurt124b6f.jpg

I like the way the rail tracks look

GE4Frankfurt2.jpg

4. Ludwigshafen with part of BASF in the background

GE5LuBASF1.jpg

GE5LuBASF2.jpg

5. Ludwigshafen from another angle

GE6LuBASF1.jpg

GE6LuBASF2.jpg

6. Western side of Lake Constance with the Isle of Mainau

GE6Mainau1.jpg

GE6Mainau2.jpg

7. Neuschwanstein Castle

GE7Schwanstein1.jpg

GE7Schwanstein2.jpg

8. Zugspitze in the Alps

GE8Zugspitze1.jpg

The Zugspitze is photoreal also in GES, so there is no difference, except for the mountain area in the background

GE8Zugspitze2.jpg

I hope the ORBX team doesn’t mind me doing this little comparison

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

What an interesting comparison post Bernd.

A big difference in the railways and also the Island of Mainau.:)

Thanks, Martyn, the difference is indeed obvious. But one can also see, what a great job the ORBX team did that developed both GEN and GES, in the accurate placement of all the POIs!

26 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Indeed a very interesting comparison. Though I have to state that in my view none of the options is a clear winner (yet...), both have strenghts and weaknesses.

Thanks Gerold, and I fully agree with you. Let's see, how the ORBX Netherland will look like. I'm quite confident that it will look superb, given the ORBX ressources

For me there is a clear winner, and that is the photoscenery. I'm a geologist, making part of his living interpreting tbe landscape, and it just looks so much better to me. Ok, so you have to fly a bit higher..

I am finding myself using more and more photoscenery (so less screenies here on the forum), especially now I bought a new computer, and so can't wait for the release of photoreal by orbx of the Netherlands, bring it on!

1 hour ago, paulb said:

I enjoy the Orbx scenery. But, do agree with Martyn regarding the railways.

Thanks Paul.

The biggest disadvantage for me would be no low flying which is something many of us enjoy.

I do hope that in the future that some static rolling stock can be added to the marshalling yards just for that next step up in realism.

4 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Paul.

The biggest disadvantage for me would be no low flying which is something many of us enjoy.

I do hope that in the future that some static rolling stock can be added to the marshalling yards just for that next step up in realism.

That would be so cool!  

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Paul.

I too spend most of my time flying at low levels to enjoy the detail in the scenery.

IMHO the representations (or lack of) of railways and railway stations is a weak feature of P3D. I notice this most when flying over cities as shown in the photos above. 

When taking screenshots I tend to avoid such areas because of the lower quality.

Sometimes orbx will enhance a  station when releasing an airport. Southampton is a good example of this. Then it looks so much better!

Nicely done, Bernd, and thanks for doing this. I'm with the undecided crowd, myself. I've seen almost no photoscenery I actually like yet, but I'm willing to accept that may be down to the quality of the scenery I've seen. I do have some photoscenery for a couple of middle east areas, and that's not too bad, and I have recently tried out a couple of France VFR packages, but on the whole, I definitely prefer the Orbx world. Neither approach is without its problems, but when you look at some of the screenshots here you realise just how remarkable the environment is currently. Combining the two approaches with the sort of finesse Orbx brings may well turn out to be the ultimate solution - PR Netherlands will be very interesting to see.

Thanks a lot, gents, for your interesting comments.

7 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Neither approach is without its problems, but when you look at some of the screenshots here you realise just how remarkable the environment is currently. Combining the two approaches with the sort of finesse Orbx brings may well turn out to be the ultimate solution - PR Netherlands will be very interesting to see

My sentiments exactly, Andy

Archived